Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 cutlass 442 View Post
    And I know of cars that marve as done from intake manifold to pan and the car came apart crusing on the freeway....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    blame him for a failure because the motor came apart on a car at cruising speeds (car has a blower I'm sure its been babied like mine lol) Then want him to tune your built stuff.
    From what I'm reading, Marv didn't tune a previously built car.. Marv built the entire engine, and it came apart. Granted this leaves a lot to how the car was treated, because really, who knows.. But I think that's what 70 Cutlass was getting at..
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    So the car in mention blew up because Marv did something wrong and he wouldn't take care of it? I smell bullshit. My car could blow up at cruising on the freeway too and to insinuate it was the builders fault after I had driven hard previously or raced it then it just happens to come apart when cruising thats laughable stop while your behind. Now I can undertand why calls weren't returned.You denote his shop,blame him for a failure because the motor came apart on a car at cruising speeds (car has a blower I'm sure its been babied like mine lol) Then want him to tune your built stuff. I quit this is laughable at best.
    Again this is not my car being worked on so I dont care. do want you want

I needed something tuned before i had any issue with him... i sitll dont have an issue with him and still would have him tune cars that need to be tuned. But what i am getting at is even though every part was purchased from marve, installed by marve, and tuned by marve, he had issues and the motor ended up going back to stock... NOW, I know that JUST ABOUT any shop on earth will not absorb costs if something like this happens, especially on a NON-stock car which is not the issue i have, the issue i have is you implying that he didnt want to tune our cars becuase it may have been a cluster fuck of parts since they wernt purchased from him, which was not the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperz View Post
    From what I'm reading, Marv didn't tune a previously built car.. Marv built the entire engine, and it came apart. Granted this leaves a lot to how the car was treated, because really, who knows.. But I think that's what 70 Cutlass was getting at..

No, the car im reffering to was built/tuned by marve.... the kid drove it like it was built to be drivin, im not throwing any blame at marve, simpaly making a point that even if the parts came from/ were installed by him that he may not have done anythign anyways.
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

I just came upon this thread and want to share my 2 cents... I've had work done BOTH by Marv and by 70 Cutlass.

Marv seems like a good guy and very knowledgeable. He did gears/shifter/tune for me and I was happy with the results, but I know it was slightly overpriced. He gave me a rough quote and was pretty close to it (the bill was a few hundred higher than expected though). Again, I am happy with the quality of work done, turn around time was decent. I'm not annoyed that he didn't return phone calls very fast, mine took a few days but it's mostly just him there answering when he's not under a car so can't blame him. With that said, I know of someone with a 97 cobra with a blower on it and almost 100% of the work was done by Marv (most engine and all tranny). The tranny had issues and he had a couple other problems with the car, had to bring it in numerous times. Idk what Marv charged to fix it, if anything at all. So basically I'm saying yes, Marv isn't perfect and since he runs a professional shop, is kind of expensive. But from my first hand experience, it was good work. Yes some things he works on will break/fall apart but with the volume of customers, I guess it is bound to happen.

As far as 70 Cutlass, he did a nice side job for me. Everything went well, returned my calls, happy to help with any problems, etc. I saved a bunch of money by going through him. No he doesn't have a professional shop, but for smaller jobs and cheaper prices (job quality was good too) I'd go back to him again.
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

I love how people quote me, but never read my post.

If you want to grow your business, do ONE simple thing...be straight forward with anyone whom you communicate.

When a MAN stands in front of another MAN with hard earned cash and a desired outcome, the lowest expectation of either man is no bullshit.

Get pissed at me if you want, but life is too short to spend money for bullshit and excuses.

Again, thanks for all the input fellas. Just bought my oil change and will be getting to it shortly. Will keep posted what I all find mixed in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Zosig View Post
    Again, thanks for all the input fellas. Just bought my oil change and will be getting to it shortly. Will keep posted what I all find mixed in there.
    godo luck! hopefully there is no real issue..... a bit of advice.. If you do any of the work yourself, DO NOT use a chilton/haynes... they have been wrong on so many ocassions that i just said screw it and spent the $$ for a factory service manual... you cant go wrong that way!
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    84- 4 eyed

My experience

After reading this post...I just had to add my own 2 cents:

MY Experience with a "pretend" speed shop; Big 3 Performance

1. Had my car built at Big 3 Performance (Super charged, Cams, Reworked Tranny, Drive-Shaft, new Gears, etc.)

2. The tune was a "garage" tune or as I was told; a "street" tune and it sucked.

3. Took my car to C & M Performance and Marv re-tuned it.

4. The gears that Big 3 installed were trashed due to bad installation.

5. Took my car to Marv and he installed new gears.

6. The traany that was re-worked by Big 3 was leaking like a pig.

7. Took my car to Marv and he replaced the torque converter and stopped the leak.

I guess I should have taken my car to Marv in the first place. Big 3 was one of those "pretend" speed shops and I hope they all go to jail. They cost me a ton of money for rework. The good thing is; the rework being done by Marv is top notch. It's easy to see that I'm a BIG fan of Marv. And I hate those who "pretend" to be as good as he is.

Sorry...hope I didn't offend anyone...

2007 Mustang GT - Tungsten Gray

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTGT View Post
    After reading this post...I just had to add my own 2 cents:

MY Experience with a "pretend" speed shop; Big 3 Performance

1. Had my car built at Big 3 Performance (Super charged, Cams, Reworked Tranny, Drive-Shaft, new Gears, etc.)

2. The tune was a "garage" tune or as I was told; a "street" tune and it sucked.

3. Took my car to C & M Performance and Marv re-tuned it.

4. The gears that Big 3 installed were trashed due to bad installation.

5. Took my car to Marv and he installed new gears.

6. The traany that was re-worked by Big 3 was leaking like a pig.

7. Took my car to Marv and he replaced the torque converter and stopped the leak.

I guess I should have taken my car to Marv in the first place. Big 3 was one of those "pretend" speed shops and I hope they all go to jail. They cost me a ton of money for rework. The good thing is; the rework being done by Marv is top notch. It's easy to see that I'm a BIG fan of Marv. And I hate those who "pretend" to be as good as he is.

Sorry...hope I didn't offend anyone...

If you are reffering to me, then no offence taken The point i tried to make is I do good work for a very reasonable price without sacraficing quality and I have a list of happy customers to prove it. unlike big three, i have no horror stories to come out of my shop and am workign the best i can to keep my rep that way!
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    84- 4 eyed

Quote Originally Posted by 70 cutlass 442 View Post
    If you are reffering to me, then no offence taken The point i tried to make is I do good work for a very reasonable price without sacraficing quality and I have a list of happy customers to prove it. unlike big three, i have no horror stories to come out of my shop and am workign the best i can to keep my rep that way!
    No...I wasn't specifically referring to you, but I'm glad you took no offence. I'm still angry about my experience with Big 3 and I take every opportunity to express it. I'm also very glad to hear that there are other shops/mechanics out there who are doing quality work and stand behind it. Horror stories like mine should never happen. We (the customer) put our trust in a shop/mechanic, hand over our cars and our money and expect a quality job in return. When a shop/mechanic does a quality job and stands behind their work (like Marv), they end up with more business then they can handle. I expect that will be the case with you because you obviously understand that concept. I wish you the best of luck and maybe our paths will cross in the future.

2007 Mustang GT - Tungsten Gray

WHO LAUGHS LAST THINKS SLOWEST GRAMPS SS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    Names....
    would one be.............

BIG POWER 1
    R.I.P BOB BUDDY

Everyday driver...2010 EXPLORER

Weekend car....1970 DUSTER 340 Now with a 416 w/ EFI SIX PACK