Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mustang guys recommendations needed...

A good friend of my son's and I is jealous of my son's Talon and now wants to get out of his Kia and into something reasonably sporty/fast. The kid is not an experienced wrench turner so I obviously told him NOT to buy a DSM lol. He is basically looking for something relatively sporty/fast, probably bolt on mods like exhaust etc. would be as far as he would go or want to buy a car with. Still relatively reliable and easy/cheap to fix.

So obviously I am recommending a 4.6 or 5.0 Mustang but being "Mopar" Jim I have only owned 3 Mustangs a 70, 75, and the only relavent one being a 92 GT in my life am looking to defer to my expert buddies on here as far as:

What should this kid be able to pick up in the $3000 or so range?
    What years should he be looking for - what years were best bolt on mod-able, easiest to maintain, or what years should he prefer/avoid?
    Anyone have or know of anything for sale right now at a decent/good deal for this kid?

Brief look around CL seems like maybe a mid-late 90s should be obtainable in that price range...

Just looking to help the kid out and get him a good deal and the right car, he's a real decent kid.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Well as for "easy to modify", if I were him, for 3k, I would look at a late model foxbody or a sn95 with a 5.0. There is nothing "cheap" for a 4.6 car. I spent probably 2500 in mods on my 88 gt. With that 2500 I got a h-pipe, mufflers, upper and lower controll arms, 3.73 gears, short throw shifter, upper and lower intake, CAI, full MSD ignition, ac/smog delete, under drives, rims/tires, clutch, quadrent, and the mass air conversion......Not bad at all. Plus most of the stuff I got was used. Ran mid 13's with the car on dr's and my shitty driving. Sold the car for 6,000.

With the 96-98 gt's at that price you will probably get non PI heads and a shit ton of miles. I probably have 3,000 invested in the basic mods I have on the car right now....Non PI headed cars are mid 14's or higher....Plus they are not really easy for someone who is just getting into the hobby to work on...

In my honest opinion a 94-95 Gt would be a good starting point for him...
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Nic has a good point. With 94/95 being the bastard years, you can get them on the cheap, but still use most 5.0 used parts, of which there are a ton out there. You won't get a decent Fox body for 3K, depending on what your version of "decent" is. Seeing your cars, decent for you would be most people's perfect. That's a compliment I can't give to many people! So, you can go with a "fixer upper" Fox (even with winter coming they never seem to be "steals"), or a better bastard SN95. Stay away from 96-98 SN95's, they are poo. If you find a new edge GT (99-04) for 3K, please let me know 1st, lol.

If he is over 6'2" or fat he will fit better in a 94 & up. IMO the 88-89, MAF, non air bag, 5spd coupes are the best of the bunch
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    If he is over 6'2" or fat he will fit better in a 94 & up. IMO the 88-89, MAF, non air bag, 5spd coupes are the best of the bunch
    88 was still speed density. 89 had the maf.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waver View Post
    88 was still speed density. 89 had the maf.
    88's had MAF, in California

most anything that will be found around here will be speed density. I doubt that someone who has 3k to spend on a car will go out there to get one.

most anything that will be found around here will be speed density. I doubt that someone who has 3k to spend on a car will go out there to get one.
    #1 There where many cars built for sale in smog states that sold elsewhere.
    #2 I have seen excatly two speed density cars in the last ten years and they where low mile mothball automatic verts
    #3 I will also include 87's because a MAF swap takes about 2 hrs so it's a moot point there captain insano.

#1 There where many cars built for sale in smog states that sold elsewhere.
    #2 I have seen excatly two speed density cars in the last ten years and they where low mile mothball automatic verts
    #3 I will also include 87's because a MAF swap takes about 2 hrs so it's a moot point there captain insano.
    1)Cant include the swap, because that is not how they came from the factory. I never said anything about how easy it was to do.
    2) Odd how you have only seen two, since EVERY (over 30 different cars)87-88 that I looked at when I bought my 88 was SPEED DENSITY (sticking with STOCK dipshit!)
    3)Only valid point that you have is that some of the cali cars made their way over here.......but then again, how many of those cars would be for 3,000? So for all of those who are counting, all three of your retarded comments are moot in them selves. Now instead of trying to shit up Jim's thread, stfu or give some advice pretaining to a $3,000 Mustang.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/must...-5-0-conv.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/must...chback-md.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...item2a14c8d6a4

Three stacks will get you into the foxbody game, albeit on the shallow end. For the kid you described, I think the blue hatch on ebay is the way to go. $2000 should buy they car, a plane ticket, and fuel home. Maintenance, brake and suspension upgrades, and repairs will give him some experience wrenching and time to learn about what it takes to go fast. Fuel and insurance savings will keep some money in his pocket for a turbo build or 5.0 swap in the future.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Svt Fox View Post
    88's had MAF, in California
    Pwnt

1)Cant include the swap, because that is not how they came from the factory. I never said anything about how easy it was to do.
    2) Odd how you have only seen two, since EVERY (over 30 different cars)87-88 that I looked at when I bought my 88 was SPEED DENSITY (sticking with STOCK dipshit!)
    3)Only valid point that you have is that some of the cali cars made their way over here.......but then again, how many of those cars would be for 3,000? So for all of those who are counting, all three of your retarded comments are moot in them selves. Now instead of trying to shit up Jim's thread, stfu or give some advice pretaining to a $3,000 Mustang.
    magazines mechanics such as yourself shouldn't give advice on shit they have no clue about

magazines mechanics such as yourself shouldn't give advice on shit they have no clue about
    Magazine mechanic? Really? I am going to pm considering I dont think we should have a e-peen contest in Jim's thread. If you want to shit it up, that is on you.

....and another although a auto. I can swap a auto to T-5 in less then a day by myself with no lift and I'd figure a weekend for your first time. assuming $200 back from the auto you should be able to do the T-5 swap for less then $700 with used parts

http://forums.corral.net/forums/must...-illinois.html

....and another although a auto. I can swap a auto to T-5 in less then a day by myself with no lift and I'd figure a weekend for your first time. assuming $200 back from the auto you should be able to do the T-5 swap for less then $700 with used parts

http://forums.corral.net/forums/must...-illinois.html
    I am sure Jim can do it just as fast as you, however where did he say that he is going to be helping his kids friend do anything to the car? A kid with minimal mechanical experience should first be doing basic bolt ons.....exhaust, CAI, under drives, not swapping out a whole transmission by him self.

I am sure Jim can do it just as fast as you, however where did he say that he is going to be helping his kids friend do anything to the car? A kid with minimal mechanical experience should first be doing basic bolt ons.....exhaust, CAI, under drives, not swapping out a whole transmission by him self.
    If I was you I would kill myself.

If I was you I would kill myself.
    Now what does that have to do with him giving his sons friend a recommendation on what car to buy, or what year of car to buy?

You really need to remember the person who is buying the car is not related to Jim, dosnt have a lot of mechanical ability at this point, and is working with a 3,000 budget. There are certian things that should be done first to gain experience before going to a big job like a transmission swap.

oh and just so you know, you dont need to be me to kill your self. If you really want to kill your self, just do it.....I am sure you can find some source online since you spend a aweful lot of time on the computer.
    Last edited by Waver; 10-12-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Now what does that have to do with him giving his sons friend a recommendation on what car to buy, or what year of car to buy?

You really need to remember the person who is buying the car is not related to Jim, dosnt have a lot of mechanical ability at this point, and is working with a 3,000 budget. There are certian things that should be done first to gain experience before going to a big job like a transmission swap.

oh and just so you know, you dont need to be me to kill your self. If you really want to kill your self, just do it.....I am sure you can find some source online since you spend a aweful lot of time on the computer.
    I give up, you win another ebattle, you bad mofo you. I'd put you on my ignore list but reading your posts makes me feel better about myself then watching a episode of COPS

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Apparently nearly every thread no matter the topic devolves into some sort of epeening contest lol.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Moparjim View Post
    Thanks for the info so far guys.

Apparently nearly every thread no matter the topic devolves into some sort of epeening contest lol.
    Sorry about that, I tried to avoid it. Did you also suggest an LT1 Camaro or TA to him too? Huge aftermarket, more power than a stock 96 mustang gt, and they can be found in good condition for around 3000 as well.