Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crossed to the other side

Having been a GM guy for most of my adult life, I traded my Camaro off for a Lincoln LS yesterday. 01, 152K on it, drives solid, and most of the toys work. It amazes me how these failed to hold their value compared to say a CTS-V. Very happy with the trade but if anyone has ideas on the following issues. Anyone familiar with these that may point me in a direction?

Cruise in-op, horn in-op, and theres an alarm after startup I assume is related to airbag (no light tells me it was removed) In all likelyhood this is the clock spring, I'll likely be replacing.
    Fuel calculator in-op, puts an error up on the DIC
    compass just says "C"
    Clunk/squeak from the driver's front suspension (research says likely sway bushings)
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 08-11-2013 at 09:41 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    It amazes me how these failed to hold their value compared to say a CTS-V.
    Well for starters it had a small under powered V8 along with a crumby 5speed.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    LS vs CTS-V?

Not even close.

That car shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as even a 1st gen V. Maybe a caddy Cattera!?!?
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

The Mark series', and the Town Car are the only good cars Lincoln made unless you go back to to the early 70's and prior. You got fucked.

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

Wtf?

I am a Ford girl and have no interest in the LS (yet, ironically love my SHOs). Good luck with it! Sounds like it's what you wanted, so that's all that matters.
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Looks like I'll be doing the clockspring after all.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    Well for starters it had a small under powered V8 along with a crumby 5speed.
    Thanks for your help
    Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    LS vs CTS-V?

Not even close.
    Not claiming it is. But the difference in value held surprised me.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    That car shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as even a 1st gen V. Maybe a caddy Cattera!?!?
    again, not trying to compare the cars... comparing the retained value, and yes 1st gens still go for 15ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brett View Post
    Wtf?
    Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    I am a Ford girl and have no interest in the LS (yet, ironically love my SHOs). Good luck with it! Sounds like it's what you wanted, so that's all that matters.
    Its got the right number of the doors for me to actually be able to use it. Trying to drop a car payment.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Just a heads up that LKQ has two or three of those in the yard if you need parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Just a heads up that LKQ has two or three of those in the yard if you need parts.
    Need an arm rest, pair of headlights, and eventually a Left fender (if I can find one already painted), thanks for the heads up.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

How do you compare the retained value between two cars without comparing the cars? That's like saying that a Daewoo should hold X percentage of it's value because a Corvette holds X percentage of it's value. CTS V's hold their value because they're nice, solid, reliable cars. Lincoln LS's don't because they're not.

Lincoln LS's don't because they're not.
    Agreed but..

Neither are any fox bodied chassis, mustang-II's or any camaro/ta/firechicken after the first and second gens..

People like what they like...

Yeah, I went to Lincoln when I test drove a 2009 Lincoln MKS AWD with all the toys while I was out shopping for a CTS AWD... I was hooked... Bought it and loved it...

I have driven the LS, and I must say, no comparison to the MKS, or Town Car or the Mark cars... It is much more like the MKZ and I, quite frankly, hated the MKZ I got as a loaner when I took the MKS in for service a few times... Too small, anemic, ride was too harsh, etc...

I did like the MKT I drove once as well as the MKS... So those are the only two late-model Lincolns I have interest in...

Too bad I sold the MKS to buy a house... Income-debt ratios kill you when self-employed... Every advantage to being self-employed turns into a negative in trying to buy a house...

I am hoping to buy another MKS in another year or so... I am hoping to find a low-mileage well-kept one at that time... Again, values aren't as high as the Caddys, but I consider that a plus since I don't change cars very often and will buy to keep...

I might add that I never really "crossed over" completely... I always still had the Trans-Am and Z28 'vert, and I had a '91 conversion van and sold that and bought a 2005 high-top Explorer AWD conversion van... So I always had at least 2-3 GM vehicles, even when I owned the MKS... Have a Nissan Sentra as our only import in the stable...

How do you compare the retained value between two cars without comparing the cars? That's like saying that a Daewoo should hold X percentage of it's value because a Corvette holds X percentage of it's value. CTS V's hold their value because they're nice, solid, reliable cars. Lincoln LS's don't because they're not.
    I'm really over you talking shit about my cars, so, feel free to say whatever you like, I just don't care. You talked shit about my Tahoe ($0 in repairs to date, 277K+ on the clock now), you talked shit about my LS1 car.. so go for it. Whatever makes you feel good.

All I want outa this car is to get me out of a payment long enough to put some money away and get into something more to my liking when its time. FAR more convenient to get in and outa this with a 1 year old than the Camaro so I'm good with it. I expect to have to do work on it, but if it doesn't give me a catastrophic failure in the next year or 2 (assuming I stay with it that long), I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast View Post
    I might add that I never really "crossed over" completely... I always still had the Trans-Am and Z28 'vert, and I had a '91 conversion van and sold that and bought a 2005 high-top Explorer AWD conversion van... So I always had at least 2-3 GM vehicles, even when I owned the MKS... Have a Nissan Sentra as our only import in the stable...
    Yep, i'm riding the fence too. I think I have the Tahoe's potential replacement lined up in I think 20 months, in the form of a low mileage 05 Sierra, assuming that situational needs don't preclude it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    People like what they like...
    Wait, you mean... we don't all like the same cars? I'll be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast View Post
    Too bad I sold the MKS to buy a house... Income-debt ratios kill you when self-employed... Every advantage to being self-employed turns into a negative in trying to buy a house...
    I hear that, I miss the hell out of my GTO. Too bad we had equity in that not the G6 when I found out I was having a kid, otherwise I'd still probably have it. Oh well.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 08-11-2013 at 08:51 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The later LS's (03+?) got a nice little power bump and improvement in power up to 280ish hp....with the relative light weight, I'd imagine it'd be a decently quick car. Even prior to that though it's still 250ish hp so decently quick too.

Not much to offer beyond that...as far as your electrical problems, I've got nothing to offer other than that's usually what will chase me from a car. The Aspen started going through that ordeal and I was at the dealer shortly thereafter getting a new caravan :/
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The LS is a decent car as long as it is very well maintained. Since they are baised on the Jag S type, a lot of the common problems that the S type has will also be in the LS. Make sure you get snow tires for it as the rear end is rather light, and the normal tires dont help it one bit in the snow. It is almost like a 4 door mustang in this aspect.

The LS was replaced by the Zephyr/MKZ in 06/07 when Lincoln made a switch from RWD to FWD/AWD.

As far as the MKS and the new MKZ goes, they are far superior to the cars they are replacing.....Lincoln did a fantastic job. The MKS with the 3.5 ecoboost and the Lincoln Drive control handles and moves darn close to the Audi A6 Supercharged, and the MKZ now holds its own against the competitors like Acura and Lexus......I got a chance to drive them both and the competition back to back and all I can say is WOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Yeah, I heard the new MKZ is supposed to be one-par with the MKS as far as luxury... And that they finally made them great drivers...

Since I bought the MKS at Uptown and had it certified, I still get all the event invites, new product unveils and all that jazz...

Personally, I loved the '09 MKS I owned, and, for me, at this point, I would prefer a low-mileage '09 over a newer MKS. I prefer the front/rear styling more, and the lack of an Ecoboost setup is a plus for me, as it would be less to go wrong long-term. If I want power, I have other cars for that. I just loved the ride quality, the feel and the luxury it had to offer.

Plus, after I sound-deadened the rear deck/sub area, it was the first car I was totally happy with for sound quality... Sure, it had it's limits, but for enjoying the ride and the sound of it at a modest level, it was great.

Someone's gotta have a parts hookup at a dealer. I need a degas bottle, and cannot find the motorcraft part anywhere.

Edit: nvm, I think I just scored on amazon for cheap.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 08-12-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    Someone's gotta have a parts hookup at a dealer. I need a degas bottle, and cannot find the motorcraft part anywhere.

Edit: nvm, I think I just scored on amazon for cheap.
    Like I said, there are three at LKQ.