Hybrid View

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

I'm not running a scatter shield but,,,I probably should be. Also a drive shaft loop.
    I have my motor pilled at 7K. I have hit the limiter on occasion. The Zoom clutch I had earlier had some vibration that concerned me. My current Center Force runs smooth as silk. I take my car out on occasion to GLD but mostly it's street driven. (after breaking the motor 2 times it was getting expensive) When I pull the motor next I'll probably get a scatter shield. I have a DS loop to install but just haven't had a chance to get it in yet.
    I'm not going to say you don't need the scatter shield but 5500 isn't what I would consider too much. But if you build the motor more then I would definitely recommend it.
    My block is a 79 Chevy truck block with 2 piece rear mains. I'm running the stock flywheel that was resurfaced at Kilpatrick. (I think it cost me $50 to resurface) I would be leary of the Jegs flywheel if it's Chinese. I've seen way too many brake rotors fail to trust something like that in my motor. You could probably get a flywheel either off Craigslist or the junkyard in Sussex for cheap.

Now with all this being said my car is 2900 lbs soaking wet with a tank of gas. Your 57 is considerably heavier so you should take that into consideration.
    Jim Kilpatrick and I did a bench build to come up with specs for my motor build and clutch selection. I told him I wanted a lopey motor that will run on premium, streetable and hold it's own at GLD once in a blue moon. He ordered the parts and machined/clearanced the block for the stroker kit. I had him degree it as well. I took the rest home and assembled it and stuck it in the car. I have 4500 miles on this motor right now.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    My current Center Force runs smooth as silk.
    That's an advantage of centerforces...they tend to be self-balancing.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    That's an advantage of centerforces...they tend to be self-balancing.
    Yeah, It has those rotating outside weights or whatever they're called. looks like an abacus mounted to the clutch. LOL It really does work.

Well guys I ended up getting a zoom zzz300015 clutch kit and a ram billet flywheel and a mini starter, I will post pics as soon as this stuff arrives!

Money Comes and Money Goes,
    But Rat Fink is Forever
    "There isn't a man living who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." Henry Ford