Thread: 1998 Cobra ????

1998 Cobra ????

what size dish is the stock piston used in a 1998 Mustang Cobra?

I did some research one evening and after a few hours I came up with the answer:

the 96-98 cobra had forged rods and pistons with a stock dish of approx 3cc. When installed in a 4.6L 2-valve motor with PI heads the compression ratio raises to approx 12:1. I just recently put together such motor and dropped it into a 2003 Crown Vic. The only items used from the 2003 engine were the heads and the oilpan. The heads went to the machine shop for an overhaul. The whole lower end was considered a total loss as not even the crank was salvagable. Car fired up on the first crank and now awaits the exhaust shop connecting the x-pipe to the remaining exhaust system.

Stripping the old motor

Built motor on the stand getting the exhasut manifolds mounted

Almost done

Would have been cool if you put the Cobra mill in the car in the background.

http://sites.google.com/site/russjer...urpointsix.JPG
    Thought the Cobra's were all DOHC?
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

The pistons and rods used for this build came from a 1998 Cobra. Used 2 valve heads not the 4 valve heads.

i kind of wanted to do a build like that to a MN and hit it with some spray but then id being going threw transmission.
    99-ranger
    88-ranger
    89-spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Grandpas_Marquis View Post
    the 96-98 cobra had forged rods and pistons
    I pretty sure this is incorrect. Hypereutectic pistons and fords wonderful powdered metal rods, just like all the other 4.6's. The cranks were forged though. I'll confirm this tonight for you.

Here are the Rods/Pistons that went in this build.

the pistons and rods from the 98 cobra are total crap. I really hope you didn't use them.

Political signatures are not allowed

Ok, I am citing information found in this book.

"All the ford modular engines except the '03 ['04] Cobra come from the factory with powdered-metal, cracked-cap rods."

"Ford chose to use hypereutectic pistons in the 4.6-liter engine in all applications except the '99-up Lightning 5.4, and the '03 ['04] Cobra, both which are equipped from the factory with forged slugs."

So, if you used the OEM rod's and pistons from any 4.6 engine except an '03-'04 Cobra, they are not forged. Sorry man, they are the same as what you took out.

your forgetting about the bump in compression ratio, if thats true

stock on the 98 cobra is 11:1 I think

Political signatures are not allowed

aparently your compression would be aprox. 12.1 on a 2v with P.I. heads..