I picked this 2wd, mid 90's vintage 4L80E up from Jeff a few months ago, first had the balls to rip it down now lol.

This is the first automatic Ive ever ripped down entirely and after watching countless youtube videos on rebuilds, reading manuals and getting ideas for what actually is mandatory upgrades i finally was ready to pull it down.

This decision to get into automatics now has been spurred on by the astronomical price places charge to either rebuild one or let alone do a performance build. Now i understand that you are paying for a shops expertise and experience they employ into a performance auto you buy from them. The manuals are great at point out corrective actions and flaws to look for, but that "black magic" that someone learned by trial and error is obviously not written anywhere.

So follow along with the tear down pics and see the steps it took to get it apart.

This 80E will end up behind a stout mill in the wifes 2000 Z28 come spring time, my goal with it is to get it to live and be fully manual with no electronic control other than TCC function.