I'm looking to do my first motor build. I've acquired some parts, borderline impulse buys; but they are used items, and I found the prices to be very reasonable. I know I don't have all I need yet and there isn't any thing particular I have my heart set upon, so I'm very willing to listen to the suggestions on teh collective.

The car: 1990 LX hatch. 105k miles. Black with black interior, armrest delete, no sunroof, working ashtray. Originally an AOD car, I converted it to T5.

Parts awaiting installation: Alston chassis works upper and lower rear control arms. Ford SFC's, 3G alternator, BBK strut tower brace.

Needs: Rack and pinion (pissing fluid, going with a 15:1). Shocks and struts. I'm thinking of going with KYB AGX's. Gonna do the struts as soon as the motor is done and the car is getting put back on the road. Springs, rear shocks, and CC plates will come next winter. Can I really ditch my quads after replacing the rear control arms? Cold air intake. It's gonna need a rear end soon. It's got 3.08s and a worn track-lok. Will be getting 3.73's and a new posi next winter provided it don't get done blowed up before then.

I'm looking to have a strong, daily drivable car that can run 12's and hold it's own on a SCCA parking lot cone course occasionally.

Enough rambling, on with the motor...

What the motor has: BBK 70MM TB and EGR plate. BBK shorty's, underdrives, flow master 40's. These parts were on the car when I bought it. I added a BBK o/r x-pipe when I did the tranny swap. As far as I know everything inside the motor is stock.

I picked up a Trick Flow Street Heat upper, lower, 1" spacer, 180* t-stat, gaskets and hardware. I also am picking up a pair of Edelbrock Performer RPM 60229 (1.90/1.60) heads, Trick Flow 1.6 RR tomorrow (CL deal, so fingers crossed that it actually happens.)

I did some searches and didn't find any one using this combo. Some questions: Any thoughts on how well it will work together? Thoughts on a cam? Injectors? MAF? Is my stock fuel pump up to the task at hand for now?

I was looking into the c&l MAF and tube because I have some CAI pieces that were in a box of parts I bought in order to get a shifter boot while doing my t5 swap.

I've fixed thousands of cars as a professional mechanic, but this is my first performance build. Again, many thanks in advance.