I've been seriously considering buying one, since I actually used to own a '74 Challenger for about 10 years. So - I was really a Dodge guy when I started out, so the Challenger has a bit of sentimental value to me.

Since I'm getting no younger, I figured I'd get the best Challenger I could - the SRT8 model. So I contacted a few dealerships via email to see what the pricing ran, and what was available. It's just turned out to be a disappointment I'm afraid....

Out of the 3 dealers I contacted, 2 immediately tried to talk me out of the SRT model and offered an RT instead. The third said he could "put me behind the wheel" of a 2009 SRT for a measly sum of 42K!!! -Not the pricing I was looking for.

I've found out that the "Friends and family" discount doesn't apply to SRT models - and neither does the 10 year 100K powertrain warranty!!.

You'd think the extra money paid for the SRT would also get you the warranty and discount.....it's almost like they don't want to sell them.

And I was really set on a SRT with the 6.1 and 6 speed tranny. But I can't see it being worth 42K plus, so I'm now looking at a few options:

- Turn to GM and wait to see how the pricing will be on the new Camaro - assuming it'll even be produced. Even though it still kinda resembles a Cadillac a little to me...

- Get a Challenger RT with the 5.7 and 6 speed, and hope I can modify it later (due to warranty) to perform as well as the SRT model - although it won't look quite as nice...and just a "base" RT starts at 31K - PLUS any options...

- Screw it all and get another econobox and wait another 10 years and hope someone still produces any kind of sports car.

I guess I'm just venting because Dodge finally comes out with a car I like, and they don't play fair so I'm forced to make this type of decision...