Threaded View

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar

Hot Street Project....

PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION IN DEDICATED THREAD

Everyone on here pretty much knows me. Maybe not so much on a personal level, but more on a sticking with a decision level. Some may have seen my old F-bodies. Normally, I would have liked to just keep a secret and come out next year. Well, this thing isn't gonna be blazing fast to keep up with the Ford boys, so fuck it. There are two reasons for this post

1.) I wanted to show off the new toy

2.) More importantly I wanted to show what you can do with good friends, some ingenuity, and a LOOOOOOOOW budget. And hopefully if the rules are broad enough, gets you to come out to participate in this class/event.

Most of you have seen the posts in the GLD section about the new heads up class to run with True Street Drag Racing Association. GLD and it's staff have been a great track to us as racers, and as a website. Scotty and Becky do tremendous job running those events. I've talked with Scotty and others at length about this class. It's gone from trying to be specific, to very wide open to gather as many cars as possible. I think it is going to be a GREAT entry level class for those that don't want to break the bank. $100 membership, $50 to race. A payout of $25 just for qualifying? If you qualify, that makes it cheaper to race than if it was just a normal test and tune night, and ESPECIALLY cheaper than an RSD event.

I had been looking for a car for a long time. Most of you guys have seen the posts in chat and my constant rambling. Well I got beat to the punch on a car I would have really liked, and would have been more of an old classic. Pissed me off so much that I found this new car within minutes and started watching the auction on ebay. It got down to the final minute and I just said fuck it, and bid and got it. It was right over in Clinton, WI. BIG thanks to Mikey(MuddRunner) for borrowing the dolly and for waking up early as hell to go pull it back the other weekend.

I've had a ton of valuable input by ALOT of good friends and people that are around. I'll be the first to admit that I know WAAAAY less than even half of what there is to know about racing consistantly in a heads up class, and maintaining the vehicle to do so. This class is a great spring board to that education.

Plans -

Carb'd engine (looking at $ wise now on buildups to figure out LT1/LS1/SBC/BBC)
    TH400 or Glide for consistency
    12 bolt or Dana

Following some advice from friends, it looks like a new Dana setup would actually come out cheaper than a 9", as well as come with the 35spline setup.

Particulars right now will be hard to specify as it's mostly going to be a buy things as they come around and if they fit the rules/etc....

Final Rules are supposed to be posted by Nov. 3rd, so it alteast gives me a month to work through things and wait before deciding down a path.

Other stuff seems to be simple to attain. Suspension pieces, K-members, shocks/springs, wheels/tires, etc... are all widely available on all the sites for these cars.
    Last edited by Crawlin; 10-31-2008 at 06:07 PM.