Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar

Heads and cam package??

ive been lookin into it more and more i would like to get a head and cam package for my car but i dont know anything about it..ive been reading on fbody.com and ls1tech.com and all the numbers and **** about camz just confuse me more and more..i want something to give me around 400 rwhp when im done and i dont want something too aggesive as my car is and will be daily driven..any sujestions or info would help greatly i dont think im going to purchase anything till spring im just checking out what my options are.. any help or pointers would be greatlly apprectiated. thanks much Mike

oh so far my mods are 3.73's,Pacesetter LT's,Off road Y Pipe,
    Magnaflow Catback,Whisper Airlid,Smoothbellow,K&N Air Filter,Free Mods..
    BMR Strut Tower Brace,NGK TR55's,Taylor Spiro 8MM Wires.DiabloSport Tune.

and i will be doing a ls6 intake mani b4 the heads and cam. along with SFC's and some other apperance and suspension stuff. thanks again.

Do a cam only. 224/224 .581/.581 112LSA or 114 LSA would be perfect.

It will need tuning afterwards. Heads on a stock CI LS1 engine arent worth the price paid for decent heads IMHO. A LS6 intake would be the other item that would be a decent upgrade.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, with a good head package, it shouldn't take a whole lot more cam to get you into your desired performance level...

...I would think something beyond a basic port (so say "stage two" since everything has got to be named "stage X" nowdays...) and a decent cam of at least 220 degrees, and probably as much as 234 degrees duration @ .050 (don't worry too much about lift...duration @ .050 is the most important number) with an LSA ideally around 110-112 would certainly get you the numbers you want.

I would think about upgrading the rod bolts to ARP's in a package like this as well, as you'll be revving the piss out of it to get to your 400whp numbers from 346ci's

IMO, for the nice daily drivers...and for all engines really, the heads are where it's at. The more you put into the heads, the less aggressive the camshaft has to be to get the power to the desired levels. You can go overboard, particularly with heads and port volumes that are too large...but that's the great thing about LS heads, they have such a good shape and valve orientation, that it's quite easy to get some very good numbers without going hog wild. Too big a port, then you'll lose significant low rpm power...but the driveability will still be there because of the fuel injection.

It's clear to see that Tom and I would go two different ways about this
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant
    it's clear to see that Tom and I would go two different ways about this
    Yeah... through my trials i found i like to try to do more with less.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it is easier to swap a cam versus doing a head swap on the ls1's
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant
    it is easier to swap a cam versus doing a head swap on the ls1's
    AMEN to that!
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

The cam Tom suggested is the one I had in my car. I had that cam, and LS6 intake and Hooker Headers and a 3500 stall and my car made 374 at the wheels. The car still idles nice and you still get decent gas mileage. Just make sure you have it tuned after the cam swap. You don't really need heads, you will not see that much more gain in power for the money.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

sounds good ^^ thanks for the advise guys. i think im going to stay away from the heads if its that much more work and money for a little gain.. i was already planning on the LS6 intake mani i will be ording that within a couple weeks and installing it myself. and ive been looking at the stall's not sure eactly wich one would be right for my car mainly because it is a daily driver im talking about dd as in i have no other option to drive anythingelse ever..so my car must remain 100% steetable. just with lots of power

and about the tune after the cam the diablo sport wouldnt be able to do anything with that im guessing?? id have to get it dyno tuned wouldn't i..

Remember you need at minimum Comp "918" springs and chromoly pushrods. Changing the springs are REAL pain in the ass in the car even with some of the tools out there to do it. Also be careful with the lifter holders, those things sometime like to slip down after the cam comes out, and potentially fall out. i have sticks that slid in that hold lifters from falling.

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0
    and about the tune after the cam the diablo sport wouldnt be able to do anything with that im guessing?? id have to get it dyno tuned wouldn't i..
    Yes, Get a decent Dyno tune. I go to speed inc. for that they are a good group to deal with and the drive isn't too far.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport

I am going down to Speed Inc. today if you need me to pick anything up for you, I am also going down on friday. If you need to order something I can pick it up to save you shipping, and we can meet at oscars or something. Just let me know.

were is speed inc @ ?? do they carry LS6 intake mani's?? i might have to order one if your willing to pick it up 4 me..

Nevermind i found thier website and just emailed them to see if they had some things in stock.. thanks for the offer UnderPSI but i have off on wensdays so i figure i dont have anything else to do so if they got it ima driven down.. just got a map quest map and it doesnt seem to bad hell if it save a 100 in shipping its worth the drive..

-Any Comp or Lunati grind

-Comp 26918 springs

-Comp Chrome MOly pushrods

-GM crank bolt and seal

-Fluids

-Labor

-Complete Dyno tune.

$1399.99 GTO, C5 or F-body

got this off of ls1tech its a post buy speed inc. just wondering if thats a good price??
    Last edited by 0TransAm0; 10-24-2005 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Check your PM's

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    i agree with Tom's PM.....

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0
    -Any Comp or Lunati grind

-Comp 26918 springs

-Comp Chrome MOly pushrods

-GM crank bolt and seal

-Fluids

-Labor

-Complete Dyno tune.

$1399.99 GTO, C5 or F-body

got this off of ls1tech its a post buy speed inc. just wondering if thats a good price??

That sounds quite reasonable! How do I contact this "Speed" place and get a quote for the exact same package, only for an LT1?

Jeff

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    call 866-571-SPEED

ask for Jon and tell him you were on Brewcitymuscle and Chris sent ya.

might be different $ for the LT1 though.

I work on LT1's too.