SRT-4 surging in 1st gear?

I know there are a few SRT-4 guys here, so after turning up nothing on a Google search, I'm gonna ask here. I test drove a SRT-4 and my impressions were that it ran and drove great, I LOVED the manual trans, it was the easiest driving manual trans I've ever used. The power was OK, it seemed to get about 12 PSI boost, I thought they got more than that?? At least it controlled it solidly. I also loved the interior, 3 cupholders, and the seats!

Now on with the question: In 1st gear at parking lot speeds, it felt very touchy and seemed to surge, like you couldn't give it little enough gas in 1st to move forward 5mph without either riding the clutch constantly, or jerking forward. Was this (used) SRT-4 just a bad example? Or are they all like that? Every other gear was perfect. Thanks guys.

PS: I'm not looking to buy one but a friend might be.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Yeah Josh, thats the SRT-4 for you. 1st gear is sloppy like that, it just takes a little practice to control it so its not that noticable. THey all do it as far as i've seen. And 12-13 psi is normal for stock. Now that you've driven a stock one, i'll let you take mine for a spin and see how much fun it can be. He he.
    03 Audi RS6 -v8 twin turbo-
    02 Crewcab Dually -dropped and smoking on semi wheels -
    02 VW Jetta -1.8t will nevar lose-

Let's do it I was out Friday night with an empty seat, looking for you but was unsuccessful so I gave rides to 2 other fellows. I picked up a misfire after changing plugs so I need to fix that before I'm ready again.

PS: Thanks for the info on the 1st gear, too!

black_ses
    I was riding in an '04 SRT-4 in July through this BMW rally route in Indiana. That thing handled great through all those country roads and tight turns. I was very impressed! I also felt like one of those rally teams you see on TV since I was giving directions like that - not as technical directions, but it still felt cool.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    is the 1st gear surging due to a lightweight flywheel?

How heavy is the stock SRT-4 flywheel anyways?

If it is under 20 or so pounds, it could easily add to the surging in 1st gear.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

neons tend to be touchy in 1st normally....i'm sure the srt4 doesn't help anything. anyone know where I can pick up a srt4 block?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srt4eh
    neons tend to be touchy in 1st normally....i'm sure the srt4 doesn't help anything. anyone know where I can pick up a srt4 block?
    Just the block? Aren't all 2.4's since the 2003 SRT's inception blocks the same? IE deeper skirts, closed decks, etc?...so any 2003 block should have what you are looking for...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

people have been telling me that the srt block is different than the rest of the 2.4 blocks.......but if they are the same....I'm still unable to find one

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    www.car-parts.com
    It is a database of all junkyards (almost all) in the country. There's a block in Illinois if you search. I just did a midwest search, but you can price shop across America.

I think just about all manual cars get alot of driveline lash in 1st gear at low speeds
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

SRT Blocks are different then any 2.4 out.

1st off the srt block has oil squirters built in just under the cyl. walls.

The bed plate is designed different also.

Theres a few more things I just lost my info
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    - More naked bitches

Quote Originally Posted by srt4eh
    I have seen enough on the SRTForums lately. You could go that route. But with all the scams going on lately in the buy/sell forum.......
    Steve - 2004 E-Blue Dodge SRT-4
    Beware The Penguin!!!!
    Undertaker's Homepage

Eddie call this number they might beable to find something for you 282-3333. Its a place called smart parts. They can find almost any part for you except a front bumper for the srt-4. But see what they have in stock. I think its like a nation wide junkyard they have.

thanks....I located a complete engine in bedford, oh that I'm picking up this weekend.......woohoo!