Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Insight into Great Lakes Dragaway

I stumbled across the GLD Messageboard yesterday and I found some interesting posts that gave me an eye-opening look into the operations and history of Great Lakes Dragaway (and businesses in general.)

There is a post The Gld Philosophy As Told By by the owner of GLD. Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henning
    Today, june 15, is my birthday and i'm 57 years old. i met don garlits in an alley behind my house in 1960 when i was 12 years old. i drove a 52 chevy 6 cylinder, three on the tree down the gld 1320 for the first time in 1964 when i was 16 years old. my lifetime best et is 6.69 at 212 mph in an alky funny against ken venny at indy in a divison pts meet. ya i won. i sell import parts and do all stuff vw at mofoco, which i started in 1970, as my day job. broadway bob is my best friend. i see him 3-4-5 days a week. i bought the track in 1995 and i've run bugfest at gld since 1993. in the last 10 years i've been at the track about 1600 times. i dont know you and you dont know me. i've never told you what im trying to do. today seems like a good day to start. the message board is a good place to start. you can also talk at me in person 90% of the time the track is open. i do take a few days off like this weekend, june 18 and 19, but most of the time you can find me if you try. my opinion is the official opinion of gld. all others speak for themselves. everyone has a right to their own opinion and likes and dislikes. chocolate or vanilla and any combo in between.
    THIS TRACK BELONGS TO EVERY RACER AND EVERY SPECTATOR THAT HAS COME TO GLD FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS. THIS TRACK IS NOT MINE, IT IS OURS. TOGETHER WE ALL HAVE A PART IN MAKING IT WHAT IS TODAY. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT GLD SOON...RANDY
    Read that thread and I think it says a lot about the people running GLD.

This thread http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/gl...ead.php?t=2210 contains a dispute over an unsatisfied Jet car event customer and I thought it was an interesting read (but long). It had a lot of info on how they run events and where the money goes etc and how they can put those events on. It gave perspective from their point of view on the risks they assume, stuff you dont think about (or at least I never did).

Also this thread about Black Fun Day http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/gl...ead.php?t=2155 and how it was an unusual event arrangement...

It sounds like they are not getting rich from GLD and a lot of stuff is put on to carry a tradition or to provide what the racers want. Someone else commenting on the recent improvements to the facility, pointed out that "it appears GLD has spent our money wisely." I agree.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by Syclone0044; 07-01-2005 at 01:07 PM.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

But the biggest event of the year, Black Sunday, has moved to a different track.

Because they did not want to share the wealth with the Black Drag Racers ASSN.

Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nismodave
    But the biggest event of the year, Black Sunday, has moved to a different track.

Because they did not want to share the wealth with the Black Drag Racers ASSN.

Food for thought.
    That is a FLAT OUT LIE!

Food for Thought
    I like to race at the real street drags at GLD because it's legal and safe for everybody.

Well I heard it from some very good sources.

Bottom line Black Sunday and Black Drag Racers Assn. are no longer at GLD.

Now GLD has Black Fun Day.
    Last edited by nismodave; 07-03-2005 at 08:00 AM.

Well I heard it from some very good sources.

Bottom line Black Sunday and Black Drag Racers Assn. are no longer at GLD.

Now GLD has Black Fun Day.
    The promoters of that event thought there was more people there, than what they got paid for...However, NOBODY asked Marcel for the gate reciepts.

In Fact they never said a word about it to the owners...until the owners found out about it on the internet.

Which is fine...because I can always make it an RSD/Black Fun day and the place will be packed.

I have done my RSD events at GLD for 6 years and have NEVER felt like I got screwed. Marcel's Books are exremely detailed....and accurate. I cant wait until they do it at BYRON....they *think* they got screwed at GLD??? LOL!!!!
    I like to race at the real street drags at GLD because it's legal and safe for everybody.

Post whore
    Tuff, you wrote this in the post on GLD's board.

I tell you what... I'll arrange for YOU to be the promoter of the big weekends. Just put up the $100,000 it will take for the "show" you want to put on and YOU can advertise it,run it, make the decisions on who's in it everything else. after all the expenses are paid... YOU can even keep 100% of the profits too.

Just pray that it doesnt rain...

I have a few problems with what you are telling people. I have two close friends who are promoters for sporting events. You mention to watch out if it rains, like you are going to lose money. That is 100% false. Anyone who doesn’t get insurance for an outdoor event like this for rain is a dumb ass. Most of the time you make MORE money if it rains. Plain and simple. Also, you are talking to everyone like we are a bunch of marks that are going to listen to you and believe you no matter what you say. It is not working. Some people may not see threw all the BS but I know myself and many others can. I don’t know if this is YOU saying what you are posting or if someone else is making post all this garbage, but it is garbage.
    Also pleas explain to me how having a fast car makes you smart or a good promoter or honest in what you say.
    It is seeing stuff like the post in this thread that makes me not want to go to GLD anymore. I had a free pass last year to go, and never went. Just wasn’t worth the hassle to go race there even for free. The drive to Ohio is worth the extra $ in my opinion.

After reading that Black Sunday thing, all I can think is that it ALL was BS.

You have one person saying believe us, we are right. Then, you have another person saying, no they are wrong, don't just believe what people tell you....but THIS is what REALLY happened (psst...You should believe me).

Whatever, this crap happens no matter what. It is just like the media, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, because everyones view is bias in one way or another. GLD will survive, they will find another event to make up for the lost revenue.

blah blah blah....hey, this just makes it easier for me to get more passes in on any given day.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TuffEnuff
    Which is fine...because I can always make it an RSD/Black Fun day and the place will be packed.
    That may be true but, I DO know alot of Black Drag Enthusists that do not intend on supporting the BFD.

They are making it a point to tell people not attend the GLD event.

Just the word on the STREET here Tuff.

Nismodave, since you have such an inside "edge" into GLD's operations and how they supposedly screwed the BDRA, why haven't you revealed exactly what they did wrong? You said they did not want to share the wealth but did not explain exactly what that means. Surely your inside sources are as privy to those details as they are the rest of what you are relating? I'm more inclined to believe Tuff who actually hosts events and offered his comments on their deals and book-keeping (not just a "rumor on the street".) It is possible what you are saying is true, but you only offered a lot of "hints" and nothing to really seal your case.

Here's the real question I wanted to ask you Nismodave, why would the TRACK pay a club for attending? If I attend GLD with a club of my own, will I get paid too? Come to think of it, are you saying the reason they left is because they didn't get paid enough? I thought it was very gracious that Randy wished them well nonetheless.

Neal Steffek, you cannot make statements like "100% false" or "plain and simple" when you have no association with GLD whatsoever. You speak like you have access to their books. If you don't, then how can you be so sure of the conclusions you've drawn? BTW Next time you have a free pass to GLD, just pass it to me; I will gladly relieve you of that burden!
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

All I have to say is this...for six years I have had an event at GLD once a month. (not once a year). I NOW have 2 events a month (RSD and Slicks only)

all I have to say is this...

I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN SCREWED OUT OF ONE RED CENT

Dave sorry, but, you seem like the kind of Buttmunch that always has something bad to say about GLD. so, if you want to go to Ohio to race...then dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

My point is... if this club felt that they didnt get paid the right amount, why didnt they ask to see the gate reciepts? I have asked for them a few time and Marcel has ALWAYS complied.

Marcel is a CPA, when it comes to the "books"... his "T's" are crossed and his "I's" are dotted. again I have never had a problem about money there.

BTW... there is NO such thing as "EVENT Insurance" for Drag Racing.

If you think you're sooooo smart...then you can put together an event and SHOW ME how it's done. (I'll be in the beer garden having an MGD and laughing my ass off)
    Last edited by TuffEnuff; 07-04-2005 at 01:50 PM.

All I have to say is this...for six years I have had an event at GLD once a month. (not once a year). I NOW have 2 events a month (RSD and Slicks only)

all I have to say is this...

I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN SCREWED OUT OF ONE RED CENT

Dave sorry, but, you seem like the kind of Buttmunch that always has something bad to say about GLD. so, if you want to go to Ohio to race...then dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

My point is... if this club felt that they didnt get paid the right amount, why didnt they ask to see the gate reciepts? I have asked for them a few time and Marcel has ALWAYS complied.

Marcel is a CPA, when it comes to the "books"... his "T's" are crossed and his "I's" are dotted. again I have never had a problem about money there.

BTW... there is NO such thing as "EVENT Insurance" for Drag Racing.

If you think you're sooooo smart...then you can put together an event and SHOW ME how it's done. (I'll be in the beer garden having an MGD and laughing my ass off)
    Tuff Enough, I brought a perspective that is different from your point of view and you flip out.

I seem to recall you doing nothing but talking $hit about our local cruise spot, and getting free advertising here on BCM by making threads about RSD.

It kills you that someone else might have a different perspective of GLD, and or RSD.

I never said GLD is a Horrible track, but there is room for improvement.
    Last edited by nismodave; 07-04-2005 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    Nismodave, since you have such an inside "edge" into GLD's operations and how they supposedly screwed the BDRA, why haven't you revealed exactly what they did wrong? You said they did not want to share the wealth but did not explain exactly what that means. Surely your inside sources are as privy to those details as they are the rest of what you are relating? I'm more inclined to believe Tuff who actually hosts events and offered his comments on their deals and book-keeping (not just a "rumor on the street".) It is possible what you are saying is true, but you only offered a lot of "hints" and nothing to really seal your case.

Here's the real question I wanted to ask you Nismodave, why would the TRACK pay a club for attending? If I attend GLD with a club of my own, will I get paid too? Come to think of it, are you saying the reason they left is because they didn't get paid enough? I thought it was very gracious that Randy wished them well nonetheless.
    I never claimed to have an "inside source". I know what I hear from members and supporters of BDRA.

They have told me that the BDRA left for reasons including the problem with some of the $.

That is all I do know, and I DO know that those people will back their orginization over GLD.

You made a thread linking to quotes made by the owners of GLD and that you were SOOO IMPESSED.

I just wanted to offer a different opinion, and now you are angry that I did so.

I did not want to Hijack your thread, I just wanted offer a different perspective.

But I see that this is not allowed. I will no longer post on this thread then.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by nismodave; 07-04-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Tuff Enough, I brought a perspective that is different from your point of view and you flip out.

I seem to recall you doing nothing but talking $hit about our local cruise spot, and getting free advertising here on BCM by making threads about RSD.

It kills you that someone else might have a different perspective of GLD, and or RSD.

I never said GLD is a Horrible track, but there is room for improvement.
    You brought a perspective based on "Hear/Say" and NOT based on fact.

Yeah, I talk $hit about HWY 100..so what? It's gay,full of turds and everybody knows it.

I know GLD has room for improvement...we work on it EVERY DAY. Anytime you want to come over and help...you just let me know. You havent got a CLUE of all that REALLY goes on there (and it shows)

P.S. I talk a lot of $hit about a lot of things...but, I ALWAYS talk about things I understand.

Oh Yea .....keep up with the name calling.

Then you and I will have a real problem.

And yea there are some Turds up at the HWY.

But also alot of people that have enjoyed going up there and making new freinds for years. So dont generalize.

You dont even live here, so how can you claim to know what you are talking about when it comes to our local spot???
    Last edited by nismodave; 07-04-2005 at 10:46 PM.

1)Oh Yea .....keep up with the name calling.

2)Then you and I will have a real problem.

3)And yea there are some Turds up at the HWY.

4)But also alot of people that have enjoyed going up there and making new freinds for years. So dont generalize.

5)You dont even live here, so how can you claim to know what you are talking about when it comes to our local spot???
    1)ok..fine. what name should I call you? Numbnuts?

2)do you see any concern in this eye (I)?...how about the other one (I)?

3) some turds? how about MOSTLY TURDS

4) I'm glad you have a few friends... do you sit around with a guitar and sing Kume by ya?

5) I dont NEED to live there to cruze Hwy 100... it's open to the public. However, I went there a few times and all I saw was RICE and COPS. I guess that makes me an expert...just like you are at GLD.

Lucks Got Nothin To Do With It
    ha
    Last edited by Jake B. (Killer Quad); 07-05-2005 at 08:08 AM.
    '91 Grand Am 2.3 H.O. m5
    11.98@114.59 happy gas

'02 Trans Am WS-6 m6
    12.84@109.34 pure stock
    2005 Summit Series Street Class Champ

1)ok..fine. what name should I call you? Numbnuts?

2)do you see any concern in this eye (I)?...how about the other one (I)?

3) some turds? how about MOSTLY TURDS

4) I'm glad you have a few friends... do you sit around with a guitar and sing Kume by ya?

5) I dont NEED to live there to cruze Hwy 100... it's open to the public. However, I went there a few times and all I saw was RICE and COPS. I guess that makes me an expert...just like you are at GLD.
    See you around, boy.
    Last edited by nismodave; 07-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.

You made a thread linking to quotes made by the owners of GLD and that you were SOOO IMPESSED.

I just wanted to offer a different opinion, and now you are angry that I did so.

I did not want to Hijack your thread, I just wanted offer a different perspective.

But I see that this is not allowed. I will no longer post on this thread then.

Have a nice day.
    Dave, it was not my intention to prevent you from posting your perspective. It just seemed like you were arguing rumors vs first hand evidence. I don't want to be a GLD Butt-Kisser, I just felt their efforts were good and I like the direction the track is headed. I am still open to alternative views though, so I don't mind if you post in "my thread".

Honestly Dave, could you please give us the specifics as to what you have heard?

I have heard specific information from GLD and Tuff, but those supporting the UBDRA have only said that what GLD is saying is wrong. They have not supported their claims with any further information. Maybe I am wrong in feeling that an argument or conflicting point of view should have facts or at the minimum statements to support it's opposing side.

Rick