Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar

The motor buildup begins - (DSM)

Geez....It took long enough to finally die.

Was up at Wisconsin International Raceway in Appleton on Friday, when I was unfortunate enough to wheel hop the two front wheels on the launch.

Result: Popped my left outer axle out of the halfshaft bracket, blew out the bearings in the right outer CV joint, and now I have rod knock! woo hoo....

Also, looking to get Swain coated poly moly on skirts and rods, and street thermal coated on the piston domes.

Oh well any suggestions on piston/rod combos or any extra sets of 7-bolt 97-99 aftermarket rods, pistons, etc. for sale?

My rods of choice are preferably Oliver, Pauter, Carillo, Crower, or Eagle.

My pistons of choice are either Ross, Eagle or CP.

I would like also any testamonials regarding your experiences with these brands in your 4G63, import or domestic vehicle.

This will be a street motor, and will not need aluminum rods, so don't suggest Groden's (even though they are sweet!).

9.0:1 comp. ratio
    .020" over.

Also, anyone have an extra HKS 272 intake cam sitting around for a 97-99 DSM? or HKS cam gears??

Thanks everyone,
    Last edited by twicks69; 06-14-2005 at 05:48 PM.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Yeah seems to be the hot new thing these days with motors blowin up... thats 3 people now from the baord with in 3 weeks.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Well, I decided to do a little binge buying for my car, and ended up blowing a shitload of money.

Wallet = empty -> Car = fast

Hmmmm....I like that --I guess I will just get used to being broke.

Ended up going with an Eagle/Ross combination, also picked up a new crank, an HKS 272 intake cam (still had 264/272 setup), HKS cam gears on order, and plenty of other fun pieces.

Anybody have an extra 2G AEM EMS sitting around?? or a 95 Eprom with DSM Link? or a GM 3" MAS with MAF translator for 2g?

I really need to get rid of my AFC and 2G MAS, and remove my current restrictions in the setup.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    hmmmm...sounds like you got a nice set up going in...i went with the Ross/Eagle combo on my motor...can't complain...ya anyone have DSM LINK v2. as well??? i'm in need of one also...
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

Locks Keys In Running Cars... MY4RCDGSX's Avatar
    Yet another one in line for DSMlink. Bah.
    "Why no, Officer... Of course I wasn't racing. I was Tuning."

Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by twicks69
    Well, I decided to do a little binge buying for my car, and ended up blowing a shitload of money.

Wallet = empty -> Car = fast

Hmmmm....I like that --I guess I will just get used to being broke.

Ended up going with an Eagle/Ross combination, also picked up a new crank, an HKS 272 intake cam (still had 264/272 setup), HKS cam gears on order, and plenty of other fun pieces.

Anybody have an extra 2G AEM EMS sitting around?? or a 95 Eprom with DSM Link? or a GM 3" MAS with MAF translator for 2g?

I really need to get rid of my AFC and 2G MAS, and remove my current restrictions in the setup.

No that your wallet is empty that makes you lighter.

Yeah, with my wallet on SlimFast, my ass will be much lighter.

Thankfully, my engine will also be receiving a little lightening....

I finally ordered a 7-bolt 4G64 "Butcher" 2.4L Stroker Crank from ffwdconnection.com goes from 44lbs to 37lbs.

Then 7-Bolt Eagle Rods...

Ross custom stroker .020" over 9.0:1 comp. pistons with ffwdconnections ceramic fluoropolymer dome coating and xylan skirt coating (Slugs of Brawn coating--S.O.B.)

Custom Clevite split thrust main bearings for a 99-spec block, and Clevite 77 rod bearings with ARP hardware for rod bolts and main studs.

Balance Shaft Elimination Kit, New front cover, oil pump, water pump, misc. gaskets, timing belt, etc.

Once the car is running and broken in, I will be changing over to the GM MAF with Translator (need to fabricate a new upper IC pipe between the BOV and TB elbow for the MAF), and hopefully an AEM EMS or DSMLink V2.0.

After break in, I intend on changing multiple things including a cage (probably Tom at OTE will be doing the fab work--his work is friggin fantastic!), seats, 3" seat belts, a bigger turbo, and maybe a little happy gas.

So, the itenerary is currently waiting on parts ranging from Monday to 3 weeks, pull my block, gut it, bore it, line hone and torque plate, balance the rotating assembly and rebuild. I may rebuild or replace drivetrain parts also--I am still waiting on Shep to sell his Dogbox.

Hopefully within 5 weeks (july 16th) it will be running and broken in before July 30th Import Drag Wars.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

sounds good Tim! You should talk Josh G. into actually bringing his car out of the garage, so that you can have another stroker to play with.

I am actually bringing Josh's car up to Green Bay this weekend (if it is running) to give it a good street tune on the DSMLink with Luke Stubbs from Beyond Redline. Then we will bring it either to Appleton to dyno it in 2wd mode, or will bring it down to Hiram and dyno in AWD mode.

It will be nice to see a stroker now sporting a PTE GT35R w/mitsu. housing put down some great numbers.

Yes, I cannot wait to have a little race against josh; I just need to get an EMS and a larger turbo--oh and that roll cage thing.

I am hoping that we can do 600 AWHP and 550 AWTQ with his car at moderate boost (~24psi).
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Im looking at one of them liquid cooled wallets right now mine is air cooled and burned all the money out of it already

Good luck with the new build, sounds like it should be pretty damn sweet
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

tsibred
    Tim let me know about the ems, otherwise I wish I had a DSMLINK V2, oh wait I do, and I'm busy using it.

Yeah, I am hoping to pick one up from a guy right now--waiting on him to e-mail me back - only $800 new 2G EMS----it better not be sold already
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

I am actually bringing Josh's car up to Green Bay this weekend (if it is running) to give it a good street tune on the DSMLink with Luke Stubbs from Beyond Redline. Then we will bring it either to Appleton to dyno it in 2wd mode, or will bring it down to Hiram and dyno in AWD mode.

It will be nice to see a stroker now sporting a PTE GT35R w/mitsu. housing put down some great numbers.

Yes, I cannot wait to have a little race against josh; I just need to get an EMS and a larger turbo--oh and that roll cage thing.

I am hoping that we can do 600 AWHP and 550 AWTQ with his car at moderate boost (~24psi).
    I am not familiar with DSMs, but isn't that starting to go beyond what a GT35R is able to make? I know of some guys in Puerto Rico that are making 719 awhp with a 25r on a built STi engine (May even be a 2.8ltr), and that is with a 150 shot. I know that with my STi with the 2.5 ltr stock block I am pushing 428awhp on 21 psi, and it is a overall conservative tune. That being said, I am probally going to take it back to my tuner for a conservative race gas map, where I think I can see 520ish awhp using around 26 psi. I suppose alot depends on the dyno though too. I was on a dynapack chasis dyno.

Rick

Well 600AWHP/550AWTQ is alot for a 2.0L, but Josh has a 2.4 stroker--we should see around 70hp and 100tq over the 2.0L with the same mods.

The GT35R he has is an AR.70 T04E cover that is rated to around 680hp.

It shouldn't be a problem.

Luke from Beyond Redline in Depere, WI just put down 558whp/478ish tq on 29psi, c16 on a conservative tune (low 11s:1 AFR's) with a smaller turbo;
    a 60-1 with a T04 Exhaust housing. On a small 50 dry shot of nitrous, he put down over 620whp and 550tq.--the cooling properties of the nitrous gained efficiency before the TB, resulting in around a 75hp increase.

All of this was done on 6/3/05 at Extreme Performance Motorsports in Appleton, WI on a Windyn Superflow 2wd dyno.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Are you talking about Josh G's car Tim? Just for the record no one has been holding Josh's hand during his build up. You make it sound like you have been.
    Last edited by Teufelhunden; 06-15-2005 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireguyrick
    I am not familiar with DSMs, but isn't that starting to go beyond what a GT35R is able to make? I know of some guys in Puerto Rico that are making 719 awhp with a 25r on a built STi engine (May even be a 2.8ltr), and that is with a 150 shot. I know that with my STi with the 2.5 ltr stock block I am pushing 428awhp on 21 psi, and it is a overall conservative tune. That being said, I am probally going to take it back to my tuner for a conservative race gas map, where I think I can see 520ish awhp using around 26 psi. I suppose alot depends on the dyno though too. I was on a dynapack chasis dyno.

Rick

When working at Top Street, we got 530hp/416ft-lbs of torque( ) out of the 2.4 stroker at a modest 22psi, no nitrous. It can be done... maybe not at 24psi, but it can be done. That was to the wheels, on a Dynojet (Michael's Performance.)

Scott - I help out Josh when he asks for it. We talk a good deal, and I give advice to him when it is called for.

It sounds like Josh is going to just go up to Beyond Redline tomorrow and get a descent street tune on, then he will get it dyno'd on a different day if there are no problems with the current setup.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Just wondering, not bashing by any means, I just Don't know. With that said, I thought everyone wanted the 6 bolt block, esp. with stick shift. Could you please explain.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    yes tim, why are you building a 7 bolt....
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

Reasons for building a 7-bolt stroker:
    1. I like being different--though sometimes stupid to do so; I want to defy mitsubishi engineering parameters for the 7-bolt in a crazy way.

2. Have you tried looking for new 6-bolt 2.4L knive-edged cranks lately?? Pratically non-existent. Hence using the 7-bolt "butcher" 2.4L crank.

3. late model 7-bolts have made some pretty high numbers out there--AMS alone has dyno'd a number of stock 7-bolts from 530-580awhp without problems.

4. 99-spec block. Updated girdle design, updated main bearing designs.

5. I am crazy...did I already mention that?

6. I am really not in the mood to purchase another clutch, flywheel, etc.

7. Cam/crank angle sensor issues are fairly common, unless you have EMS or DSMLink to fix the CEL.

8. I can salvage my block, saving me $$$ for other fun parts.

I pulled off the oil pan...oil is burnt and fuel contaminated (300 miles on oil). Brass shavings in oil. Oil pick up clogged with brass pieces. Oil passage clogged. Inspected rods, crank, and bearings= all look great. Inspected turbo, no shaft play, NO SPIN!! Thrust bearing failure. 2300miles on turbo. Send back to PTE, get it back, sell it and buy something different that will not be defective over and over again. Sorry PTE, excellent service, shipping, and communication, but low quality standards for initial product. THis is the third time I am shipping the turbo back to them in 2300 miles for repair. Defective wastegate upon purchasing the turbo-->returned. Boost creep and choke-->returned and re-ported. Worked good for ~2000miles then it decided to take a ****.

Oh well.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --