Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bluto

Can you reccommend any local dynos?

Im looking for a place that can log my A/F's w/sniffer. Any suggestions w/ prices?
    Stock intake,Stock exhaust,no spray, 5000lbs-COME GET SOME!!!

there have been a ton of threads regarding Dynos in this area.... try searching
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

bluto
    Quote Originally Posted by theavenger333
    there have been a ton of threads regarding Dynos in this area.... try searching
    THANKS. Im looking for recent experiences at local places-not old search results.

and the difference between people's opinions a month ago or more are different than now? if someone's opinion has changed, or if theres ever been a problem somewhere there would be a thread on it.... Michels Performance, theres one in waukesha, i think KMS its called
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by BLUTO
    Im looking for a place that can log my A/F's w/sniffer. Any suggestions w/ prices?
    K J Auto
    Mustang Dyno
    401 E. Wilmont Dr.
    Waukesha, WI 53189
    262-522-6663

AND it's an all-wheel drive dyno, too.(Don't know what u drive) Only AWD dyno around here as far as I know. They have fair prices from what I've heard.
    The only reason I know about the place is because my good friend is a dyno tech there. Ask for him, Branden Fischer. Tell him Jason (srt4me) sent u. He'll take care of ya.
    2005 White ACR SRT-4 stripper model, 1/88 produced - the race car (Staying stock for autocross )
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited - The winter/work vehicle
    2003 Silver SRT-4: 1st SRT sold in WI: 5/23/03, traded 5/31/05 SLIPS, 100% Bone stock on OE tires.
    I really like the $60,000 BMW M3 Competition Coupe. In fact, it's even as fast on a racetrack as my stock "Neon".

yep.....thats a good place

bluto
    Quote Originally Posted by theavenger333
    and the difference between people's opinions a month ago or more are different than now? if someone's opinion has changed, or if theres ever been a problem somewhere there would be a thread on it.... Michels Performance, theres one in waukesha, i think KMS its called
    People try new places, prices change, etc. Thanks for the lead, any others?I dont need an awd dyno, see sig. I dont even care what #'s I put down-I allready know its fast. I just want to see if my A/F's are where they need to be. These trucks like to vent blocks if they go lean-no knock sensors.

People try new places, prices change, etc. Thanks for the lead, any others?I dont need an awd dyno, see sig. I dont even care what #'s I put down-I allready know its fast. I just want to see if my A/F's are where they need to be. These trucks like to vent blocks if they go lean-no knock sensors.

UMMM, yeah. Your car doesn't NEED to be awd to use their dyno.
    And they have what you're looking for. Call and see if u don't believe me. I'm not gonna post prices up or anything, u can just call and find out for yourself.
    -Jason
    2005 White ACR SRT-4 stripper model, 1/88 produced - the race car (Staying stock for autocross )
    1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Limited - The winter/work vehicle
    2003 Silver SRT-4: 1st SRT sold in WI: 5/23/03, traded 5/31/05 SLIPS, 100% Bone stock on OE tires.
    I really like the $60,000 BMW M3 Competition Coupe. In fact, it's even as fast on a racetrack as my stock "Neon".

I just want to see if my A/F's are where they need to be. These trucks like to vent blocks if they go lean-no knock sensors.
    Just remember that the a/f sniffer won't be accurate if it's behind the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by animal
    Just remember that the a/f sniffer won't be accurate if it's behind the cats.
    Especially at WOT you are not having a catalyic reaction and the A/F difference from the header collector to the tailpipe is very small. Because its on a dyno and not on the street it's a tenth or two off just because of the load difference.

I shoot for a flat 11.7 when I'm tuning Lightnings and as long as it doesnt go about 12.0 I consider it safe for the street.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_we4
    Especially at WOT you are not having a catalyic reaction and the A/F difference from the header collector to the tailpipe is very small. Because its on a dyno and not on the street it's a tenth or two off just because of the load difference.

I shoot for a flat 11.7 when I'm tuning Lightnings and as long as it doesnt go about 12.0 I consider it safe for the street.
    I've never heard that before... in fact most dyno tuners have posted on the subject that it can be up to a whole number difference in a/f on the dyno with a tailpipe sniffer on a lightning. I can't imagine they are talking about anything other than WOT tuning as well.

That said I am not a tuner, so I can't verify that either way, but I will look into your claims for my own information. That said I run a wideband before the cats.

Bluto, I do still have those catless offroad pipes for sale if you'd like them just for dyno tuning purposes to take out all the guesswork. PM me if u want em.

At the CFM the motor is pushing you wont have a catalytic reaction that will affect the a/f. I have the technical answer from the guys at random tech cats but not infront of me with the chemical reactions that take place and all. However even with cars that have widebands in them, they usually are within tenths of of the tailpipe wideband.

Any difference would be in the calibrations or if there is a problem with the cats. To be honest there is probably more of a difference for a lightning because of the load on the street. All these differences a difference in the a/f measurable in tenths of a point.
    Last edited by jon_we4; 05-31-2005 at 05:41 PM.

bluto
    Have to go w/Dave on this one. Every tuner Ive talked to has seen .5 leaner at the tailpipe, and shoot for 12.4ish. D, does your wideband datalog? Im undecided about dropping $400 on wideband or $100 to dyno every time I change my combo. i dont want the catless pipes (too loud),, but am seriously thinking about welding on some whistle-tips.

but am seriously thinking about welding on some whistle-tips.

Good god man why?

My wideband datalogs with a laptop in the truck... but only a/f and rpm. For the record I haven't used it yet, have to install it this weekend but I am optimistic based on seeing another one of the same brand.

Have to go w/Dave on this one. Every tuner Ive talked to has seen .5 leaner at the tailpipe, and shoot for 12.4ish. D, does your wideband datalog? Im undecided about dropping $400 on wideband or $100 to dyno every time I change my combo. i dont want the catless pipes (too loud),, but am seriously thinking about welding on some whistle-tips.
    Bluto, Jon works for Speed Inc, where I believe they work on Lightnings too so i might at least give em a call to hear some more.

Yea, They do Great work there and I Highly recomend them They do alot with the SVT vehicles as well as the GM's. Every tune I have got from them worked perfect. It is worth a call at least.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Have to go w/Dave on this one. Every tuner Ive talked to has seen .5 leaner at the tailpipe, and shoot for 12.4ish. D, does your wideband datalog?
    I would never shoot for that A/F with a Lightning. I guess you'll have to find out yourself.

Just so everyone knows Jim, INTMD8, does not do our SVT tuning.... I do learned from the best, been doing it for 2 or so years now and I've gone as far as 550 RWHP w/ 93 octane on a Lightning and 586 RWHP w/93 octane on a Cobra. I say 93 octane because I dont recall the boost levels, both where with twin screw blowers and at a very reasonable boost level. I realize with more boost and octane you can get more HP.
    Last edited by jon_we4; 05-31-2005 at 11:53 PM.

RWTD
    I have found as little as 0 to .1 difference between a tailpipe sniffer and a in-style bung sensor, both being the Dynojet wideband for use with the Dynojet dynos. When comparing a Dynojet dyno wideband versus the Dynojet WBC, I have seen 0 to .1 differences on average, too. Here's a link to a post that Dynojet's VP of Sales, Dan H. made on ModularFords.com representing his experiences with the Dynojet dyno wideband (in the sniffer orientation) versus a Dynojet WBC in the bung:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...066#post175066

Also, when comparing post or pre-cat, I have seen between 0 and .1 differences. Converters are rarely effective at chemically altering the exhaust flow at WOT. They are designed to function most effectively at approx. 14.7 a/f. When I have seen major differences this generally lets me realize that there are issues with the sensor itself, and/or the cats.

I hope this helps!

James

PARALYZER
    DAMN JAMES!!! You found my home site!!! Welcome. This dude is my tuner.

I was not expecting rwtd to post here... what a surprise.

Like I said I'm not a tuner but I've never heard any of that before. Obviously you guys know more than i do though.

So does this hold true for all cars?