Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar

Thinking about finally going with a GT35R

I have some reservations about doing it, but the time is right and I have a great deal on picking up a T04S divided cover GT35R SBR bolt on turbo for my eclipse.

Spoolup should be around 4000rpms, but I would like to hear from whoever if you have had good/bad experiences, or comments.

Currently I am running a PTE SCM6031 T04E cover mitsu housing 60-trim. I like it, but I am looking for more.

Jason, Tri, Jake, Andy, Gil, Scott....Suggestions?

Streetability is not an issue. I am looking to keep the eclipse a track/weekend driver period.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    I thought when jake had his GT35R on he got boost around 5krpm or so... could be wrong tho.. but if I had the opportunity on a good deal on a 35R I'd do it...be a nice little upgrade from my GT32E....
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

Proven, yes.

Too common? yes.

I would get one just to get one. On the other hand I'd look for something more unique to throw on that people envy.

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    Hmmmm...so your saying a GT42R would be nice .....there ya go tim...
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

Hmmmm 42R---looks pretty, makes way too much horsepower, and doesn't spool until 7000rpms. Daddy Like...., but not realistic.

I would love to put one on, but I am definitely never going to spool it up early unless nitrous, or an aluminum rod monster block is made.

I was actually pointing towards the GT40R before.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Love my Gt35R, Fully spooled for me by 4Krpm. Pulls straight to redline and wants to keep going. The great thing with mine is that my car feels and acts stock, that is till you go WOT. Sure I would love to have a gt32 twinscroll setup, but I am happy with what I got.

Rick

GO 4 IT.

If i decide to Take my SR to 2.2 and Top Mount this winter, Im going to strongly consider that turbo.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    The GT35R has become the preferred choice for those seeking 500-600 whp. However Rick's car is a 2.5 it's going to spool faster, look for 25 plus psi on a 2.0 around 5K with a .63 housing, couple hundred extra rpms for the .82. AMS has had excellent success with their .63 a/r GT35R. If you're looking to save some cash, go ahead get yourself the SC61 which is a T350 turbine with the GT35R compressor. You sacrifice some turbine efficiency for price, but the difference is about 600 bucks. Innovative sells a SC61 equivelant, but it's price approaches the GT35R's, so it's pretty much a wash. Ball bearings really don't help initial spool all that much, but where they shine is transitional response (shifting gears), and add a couple points of efficiency since they do actually run cooler than their journal bearing equivelant. I'd stay away from the GT30R since it's 56 trim compressor is borderline speed mismatch (hence the FP3055 being discontinued and the FP3052 replacing it), and the GT3040 (FP3065) is too much compressor for that turbine so you get similar performance out of a GT35R as far as spoolup is concerned but better top end. The GT35R is just a great turbo with hardly any real negatives. I've spent a decent amount of seat time in 400-500 whp turbo cars to realize that 5K spool with a mid 8K redline is enough powerband to make you piss your pants.

I got a ride in a gt35r 3rd gen rx7 and was very impressed. The car made 410 rwhp at only 17psi on 93 pump gas and had great street manners.
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

Thanks guys for all the great responses. If I pick up one, it will be a T04S cover Slowboy Racing mitsu exhaust housing GT35R.

The one I was looking at purchasing unfortunately was sold to someone else, so I am going to wait until after the next Import Wars #2 and DropFest to decide if I am going to go that route, or if I am going to just wait until the GT40R comes out.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

super25g on sale for $899.99

I've been steering people away from SlowBoy ever since their costomer service began to suck...remember how they screwed-up Matthew's order(s). IMHO they grew too fast. Mike Huml is a good guy though...

Sure, remember Matt's difficulties that he had with Slowboy.

I think that I would rather go for something else than a Hahn Race Craft Super 25G. I would like to have an efficient turbo that spools up faster and retains boost response between shifts.

We'll see how long I keep my 60 trim. I will decide after Import Drag Wars #2.

Also, Josh Gronitz is selling his T3/T4 60-trim with a T04E cover and a stage-3 exhaust wheel. I know for a fact that he probably has less than 500 miles on it, because he was tuning his stroker block, and the car was stored the rest of the time. He is going bigger and will be probably going either for a GT35R or a GT40R type turbo. If anyone is interested, e-mail me at twicks69@hotmail.com
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Quote Originally Posted by MoparScott
    super25g on sale for $899.99
    Quote Originally Posted by timz
    I think that I would rather go for something else than a Hahn Race Craft Super 25G. I would like to have an efficient turbo that spools up faster and retains boost response between shifts.
    You weren't taking me seriously, were you?

p.s. You need a DSMlink or AEM....but you know that.
    Last edited by Teufelhunden; 05-20-2005 at 08:19 AM.

Sorry Scott,

I forgot that I should not take you seriously.

I will remember that for next time to ask you only smart ass questions.

Thanks,
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --