R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar

Talking Mikes cracked Rotor Thread!!! (pics) 56kbeware!

He sent me these and wanted me to show you guys what happens when you run race pads for 20min sessions at road america!!!!

Keep in mind these are plain jane cheapos, I would be utterly scared to see what a pair of crossed drilled rotors would look like in the hands of mike.

http://s-seriesforum.com/gallery/album53
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Dayum Mike! Someone needs to show you how to drive

Rex Kramer - Thrill Seeker

Here is something you guys might find interesting. It's very good reading! Click here

!M!
    '73 Datsun 240GNZ (Buick Grand National engine)
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab
    Superhawk Chopper (Build in progress)

Scott Walker for President. SSmike1's Avatar
    Thank You Nan
    for posting the pics!

uncle
    2000 SS camaro

any of you all, who REALLY road Race,
    and Get your Rotors Glowing Red Hot,
    Know this is normal, after 6 to 8 Races or track sessions.

2000 SS camaro

Hot Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by SSmike1
    any of you all, who REALLY road Race,
    and Get your Rotors Glowing Red Hot,
    Know this is normal, after 6 to 8 Races or track sessions.
    Hey Mike, I don't know if I qualify as a "REAL" road Racer and I don't have a built stroker motor with a big turbo and custom intercooler, Just Stock V6 Junk here, But this is what my brakes looked like after 6 to 8 track sessions. Is this normal???

These 1 week old brakes only have 100 total miles on them, including this caliper:

Hmm, this pad is shaped like a "W"

Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Wow josh those are some wicked brakes!!!!

You definately exceeded their limits to say the least
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Rex Kramer - Thrill Seeker

You definetly need some different rotors to deal with the amount of heat you're building up. Also look at different pads for track days. With that kind of heat, are your brakes fading from boiling the fluid?

!M!
    '73 Datsun 240GNZ (Buick Grand National engine)
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab
    Superhawk Chopper (Build in progress)

I ran fresh Motul RB600 fluid. The brakes still faded pretty bad; I had to nearly wipe the sweat off my brow going into about half the turns But it was still a blast. After a while I just took it easy on the straights, let off about 3/4 of the way and coasted. I actually toasted 2 sets of new brakes, 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday. They definitely got hot, so hot after one session that smoke was ROLLING out of the wheels...

But since feeling my foot sink to the floor was so unnerving, I picked up a nice LS1 12" rotor Dual caliper Brake conversion kit for the truck. I'll get some serious race pads (won't have any trouble getting em up to temperature!) and let her rip. Last time I raced I had the boost turned as low as possible. If the brakes test out good I may turn up the wick.

I just posted the pictures more for fun than anything - it was really entertaining to listen to the things everyone had to say when I pulled them off the truck!!
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    I ran fresh Motul RB600 fluid. The brakes still faded pretty bad; I had to nearly wipe the sweat off my brow going into about half the turns But it was still a blast. After a while I just took it easy on the straights, let off about 3/4 of the way and coasted. I actually toasted 2 sets of new brakes, 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday. They definitely got hot, so hot after one session that smoke was ROLLING out of the wheels...

But since feeling my foot sink to the floor was so unnerving, I picked up a nice LS1 12" rotor Dual caliper Brake conversion kit for the truck. I'll get some serious race pads (won't have any trouble getting em up to temperature!) and let her rip. Last time I raced I had the boost turned as low as possible. If the brakes test out good I may turn up the wick.

I just posted the pictures more for fun than anything - it was really entertaining to listen to the things everyone had to say when I pulled them off the truck!!
    What kind of pads did you have? I remeber you mentioning somthing about performance street pads or sumthing?? All I can say is you're gonna LOVE that ls1 kit (your welcome for the idea)! I recomend running whatever my uncle mike is!!!

Wink

a rotor is a rotor, nothing wrong with the rotors ya had.

ITS ALL IN THE PAD, you need RACE PADS! on a race track!

the secret, or key, is the Brake PAD.

If you are braking that often on a race track, they will get hotter than you could ever get them on the street.

1. the reason the ROTOR looks like that JOSH, is your Pad was actually Melting, and Balling up, causing Gouges in your rotor.

2. the reason your Caliper was melting, was your PADS were Not a HIGH Enough Temp rating, to handled the heat,
    and the pads Let the heat through to the Caliper,
    and they were WAY TO THIN also.
    there should alway be al least 1/4 inch of pad left or MORE, and ya change them!

Josh, i saw ya run your Truck, You Are a Natural ROAD RACER!!!!!!!

get your @$$ back out there, on the track!!!!!!!
    2000 SS camaro