Gonna build some cheap power!!

Ok i wanna know if this combo will be better than building what i already have as far as $$/HP ratio goes??

1973 400 sbc

202 heads. 2.02 ex/1.60 intake

Cam is a comp cam is

Part Number 12-243-3
    Engine 1955-1998 Chevrolet
    262ci-400ci
    8cyl.
    Grind Number CS X4 270H-11
    Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intake Exhaust
    Valve Adjustment 0 0
    Gross Valve Lift 0.48 0.498
    Duration At 0.006 Tappet Lift 270 278

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valve Timing At 0.006
    Open Close
    Intake 28 62
    Exhaust 74 24

These Specs Are For The Cam Installed At 107 Intake CL
    Intake Exhaust
    Duration At 0.05 226 234
    Lobe Lift 0.32 0.332
    Lobe Separation 111

Recommended Valve Springs 981-16

Eldabrock performer rpm intake

and a holly 600cfm 4brl
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

So how much power will that give me??And i will use the stock GTA drive train 700r4/327 rear borg warner?All to start with!!

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Difficult to say without having a good idea about how much cranking cylinder pressure the engine is developing (IE, hopefully it has a fairly decent compression ratio)

With a cam like that, you'd ideally like to get around 160-180psi cranking compression.

But say that it's suitable, and at least 8.5:1, you've got a fresh 3 angle valve job, decent exhaust/headers/ etc....I would think you would be pushing ~ 330 hp or so...problem is the carb. This motor would probably work best with around 700cfm carb ideally. Not to say that a 600 is a bad carb on a 400, just it'll start to get winded a little on the early side, probably cutting into the fun ~ 5000 rpm depending on your vehicles volumetric efficiency (I assumed 100%). Ideally you would want to cam it for that...but the cam you've selected would probably let you run it over 5500+ without too much fanfare...so the 700cfm would have you covered nicely.

But that should be a 350+hp motor easily, with very good driveability and vacumn to power your brakes, etc. Easily enough to put you solidly in the low 13's high 12's....maybe mid 12's with an optimized combo.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Chevy 400? Now there's a man after my own heart!
    What did it cost for the core engine?
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    Chevy 400? Now there's a man after my own heart!
    What did it cost for the core engine?
    I can get it from my brother and it is in his garage.It had a stock rebuild done to it also and he has the parts i listed installed on it. And had it in a 81 gmc step side that came with a straight 6 with the 3 on the tree and put that in there with the 3speed and stock rear gears with duels with the scavanger pipe and the focker moved!When it finally hooked!!!I just wanna know would that be a wise setup to use in my GTA instead of redoing the L98??Price and power wise???Then what trans and gears??Help a brotha out here someone!!

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I see no problems going to the TA
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant
    I see no problems going to the TA
    I know it will work but is it worth it??And whar rear trans combo??

Blog Entries
    You've got an auto right?

If that's the case, it should be fine with a slightly higher than stock t/c such as one that stall in the 2400-2800 range...

Paired with 3.73's that motor would be ideal
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    10 bolts suck, we all know that.

no replacement for displacement

i agree with chris with a slight stall. although since it really isn't a top end type setup, i'd stick with something a bit smaller in the 2400-2600 range. especially if sticking with the stock rear gears. wouldn't seem too loose for ya.

3.73's could wake it up some more.

sounds like a fun and easy combo to throw together with stuff you have laying around!

Chris

you don't want a 400...you want to do a big block and sell the 400 to me...haha. anyways, a 400 would be cool in your car, go for it!
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO