Thread: Patio Install

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar

Patio Install

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get 12"x12" patio blocks? I'll be calling around this week for estimates on paver base and sand so I figured I would look around at blocks. If not, I'm just going to get them from Menards. I need to be able to have them delivered also.

This is for a 16'x16' patio with a little 4'x4' area for my stairs from my deck to sit on.

I figure I'll need 4 yards of paver base, 1 yard of sand, and 285 blocks.
    1968 Camaro 383

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Landscape fabric, 5-6" of crushed limestone, landscape fabric, then use slag sand (from a steel mill, not the power company) for leveling... try to keep it under 2". 1" drop per 10' is good.

You can use a plate vibrator to compact it but I've had good luck using a heavy truck with street tires on it.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

When I put in the patio with pavers I found a great selection and good prices from County Line Materials on 10th and Rawson. They have a nice showroom there with there products.
    Couldn't find a local steel mill so used the traditional crushed limestone base and rented a compactor ( the heavy truck would have rutted the grass)
    https://www.countymaterials.com/prod...s-patio-stones
    Last edited by SSDude; 05-12-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    1970 Chevelle SS
    2013 F150 SC 3.5 TT
    1975 CB400F
    2007 FLHTCU

Ended up just getting the blocks from Menards. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Still have a bit to do. I need to do the 4x4 section under the stairs for the deck, the brick border around the flower garden area, and throw down some dirt and grass seed around everything.

1968 Camaro 383

Looks good! Didn't want to expand the deck?

No, I installed the door and deck in the back basically just to be able to put my grill on and let my dogs out of the back of the house into the fenced in yard. These yards aren't too big to begin with and I think a big deck would just look out of place. Pretty much just wanted somewhere to put our patio furniture without it sinking into the lawn lol.
    1968 Camaro 383

gas grill or charcoal?

I ran natural gas to it.
    1968 Camaro 383

Oh you fancy!

1968 Camaro 383