Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtb .45 compact

Wtb .45 compact

Looking for a semi auto .45 compact. I have a full size USP and P229. Would love to stick with either one of those in compact form or maybe an XD-S
    TaninAutoElectronix
    90 Mitsubishi Mirage 9.9@146, 800awhp
    04 Gallardo
    04 Lexus LS430
    71, 96, 94 Land Cruisers

Post whore
    Is this gonna be a carry firearm? You should go to a range and try the Taurus 24/7 G2. 45 compact. I believe they are 10+1 rounds which is nice for a .45 compact. I've shot the regular size 24 and I really liked it. I actually own a Taurus Pt111 millennium g2 in 9mm for my carry gun and I really like this gun. The quality is on par with all of my other handguns that cost me double or triple the price. I've had not one single FTF FTE or any issue with it. The only thing I didn't like are the sights are plastic but the rear is adjustable which is nice. There are upgrade sights available for the 24/7 that are metal. Otherwise Sigs another great choice or the XD. I don't like that they don't have spots for your left thumb on the lower and they both are a little bulky. Taurus's also have great features like a loaded chamber indicator, their gun lock system, two safety systems trigger/ manual and come from the factory with polished feed ramps.

Yes, it will be. I usually carry the P229, but it is just too bulky for everyday use.

I will check out a Taurus thanks!
    TaninAutoElectronix
    04 Gallardo
    04 Lexus LS430
    71, 96, 94 Land Cruisers

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by LIL EVO View Post
    Yes, it will be. I usually carry the P229, but it is just too bulky for everyday use.

I will check out a Taurus thanks!
    No problem man.

As an XD-s carrier.. I vote you get one. I'm a fan.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Post whore
    ^^^^^^ I agree they're very nice firearms and come with decent accessories. My buddy has the XD Mod.2 in .40cal while it's a nice shooter there are things that I don't like and would prevent me from purchasing one. I'm not a huge fan of the grip safety, actually pinched my palm a few times. Second the grip is wide for a sub compact even though I have large hands, it felt very bulky. I hate the position of the take down aka field strip lever. My thumb was half on the lever while firing so it made firing uncomfortable. Also hate the tru glow style front sight. Pretty much unseeable in dim to dark light.
    What I like was the build quality but it should be for the cost. Accessories and you get a lot more then other manufacturers. The trigger felt crisp and solid. Not sure the exact lb per pull but it felt around 7-8 which is nice. I'm just used to my Taurus's 5 lb trigger and the way it sets up pre fire. They do offer what they call the X-Tensioner which increases the capacity which is great for fellas with larger hands but with the extra length could protrude while carrying.
    Evo just go to the range and rent every handgun that feels comfortable right off the bat then shoot a good amount of rounds through each gun so you get to know each firearm. I'm sure your gonna like a few equally after you shoot them but you'll figure it out.
    Btw my Taurus Pt111 millennium g2 isn't offered in .45 but if the ranges has one the .40 give it a try. IMO my G2 9mm is a great carry gun and pretty much everyone who's shot mine it a lot.
    Last edited by spooln30; 02-06-2015 at 12:17 AM.

Wasn't able to fire any today, but I checked out the Glock 36, didn't like it. Liked the XDS bi-tone minus the grip. I really liked the double stack XDS and the grip was superior, but I guess .45 isn't available yet. The guy tried to steer me towards 9mm saying technology has come a long way, blah blah.
    TaninAutoElectronix
    04 Gallardo
    04 Lexus LS430
    71, 96, 94 Land Cruisers

You mean the XD Mod2? There is no double stack XDs.

My feeling on caliber debates is... whatever you shoot best, shoot that. Capacity vs "stopping power" is a joke of a conversation.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Yeah must have been the mod 2. It was very similar to the xds, just slightly larger.
    TaninAutoElectronix
    04 Gallardo
    04 Lexus LS430
    71, 96, 94 Land Cruisers

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    The difference between 9mm, .40, and .45 is minimal at best if at all depending on round selection.
    The faster you can accurately throw rounds on the target is what wins battles. Considering today's ammo choices, there is nothing wrong with 9mm.

Post whore
    I actually prefer a 9mm and mostly due to the cost of ammo. I like to shoot a lot so it allows me to go to the range or shoot more often. I usually find 9mm ammo for $10-13 per 50 round box and it's good ammo not that cheap Russian crap that you have trouble with. It's also a large enough round to stop a person/s trying to harm you or others. Also most handguns in 9mm have higher capacity magazines. My Taurus Pt111 G2 is 12+1 which for its compact size is decent but I also have a 17+1 Taurus 24/7 magazine. I guess it just boils down to which caliber you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    Considering today's ammo choices, there is nothing wrong with 9mm.
    Despite what Mark Belling has to say, I can't disagree.

Yeah must have been the mod 2. It was very similar to the xds, just slightly larger.
    It is and it isn't. As far as purpose of use, very similar. I just love being able to forget I'm wearing my xds, something I've never found possible with a double stack.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 02-10-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    It is and it isn't. As far as purpose of use, very similar. I just love being able to forget I'm wearing my xds, something I've never found possible with a double stack.
    What caliber is your xds? I don't recall if my buddies xds mod2. 40 cal has double stack magazines but I do remember that the grip felt fat. Like by a rough guess .25" or 1/4" wider then my Taurus. I am thinking on purchasing another handgun not for carrying just a shooter. I'm thinking either a Taurus 24/7 G2 in .40 since they can be bought pretty cheap with great quality or maybe a XD. I have to shoot an XDS more to see if the grip safety is something I can get over. I also really like the Ruger SR9c or the SR40c. The triggers on them are outstanding.
    I'm not a huge fan of Glocks though they do build good guns but I just wish they would redesign the damn things to give them a updated look. You can't tell most of the gens apart.
    If you guys get a chance, try out the Ruger SR9c or the SR40c. You'll understand why I mentioned then after the first magazine.
    Last edited by spooln30; 02-11-2015 at 01:43 AM.

All of the 'XD' line except the XDs is double stack.

My XDs is 45ACP. I can tell you that I don't even notice the grip safety. I have a very heavy 230gr red dot load that I shoot with it and after about 50 rounds the trigger safety does start to tear up my finger (office hands). On normal target loads its not an issue.

The only gun I've carried that was more comfortable was my Shield, but I had build quality concerns with it (started rusting in <1 month), so I traded it off to acquire the XDs.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    I have a xds imo its the best subcompact ive ever shot or had.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

There's a new contender now in the mix. Kimber ultra carry II
    TaninAutoElectronix
    04 Gallardo
    04 Lexus LS430
    71, 96, 94 Land Cruisers

There's a new contender now in the mix. Kimber ultra carry II
    I owned a 1911 breifly. So blasted heavy I wouldn't consider trying to carry one with the poly options on the market.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Looks like it's only 3.5oz more than an xds.

Looks like it's only 3.5oz more than an xds.
    Yeah, I certainly didn't give it the benefit of an apples to apples comparison. My full size was 38 oz.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car