Thread: rearend

rearend

Does anyone know what the torque spec is for the pinion gear nut is... i was told to tighten it till the gears start to turn but that seems a little light.... thanks!

Depends on the differential, but thats how you set your bearing pre-load, so getting it right is critical.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

It depends if your setting up new gears, replacing bearings or just the pinion seal. In replacing the pinion seal you only need to mark the nut with a pin punch or chisel mark and retighten the nut to the same position or a few degrees tighter as this will preload the pinion bearings. A little red Loctite is good when reusing a nut.
    If your doing bearings or a new gear set there's plenty of tutorials on the web but be aware it's easy to end up with a howling rear end.
    1970 Chevelle SS
    2013 F150 SC 3.5 TT
    1975 CB400F
    2007 FLHTCU

Thanks guys!! I had a new 12 bolt rearend built with new everything. .lol but when i got it back and put it in the car i realized the pinion yoke was bad.. so i bought a new one.. and when i called about what torque to put the nut at they said to tighten it just till the gears started to turn!!! It just sounds to light to me!!! If you guys have any info i would much appreciate it!! I dont want to damage my car by finding out the hard way!! Thanks!!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    read this. if it uses a crush sleeve, it should be pretty much the same procedure. Start on page 12.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/downl...htM-4209-8.pdf

Or read through this one.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...l.pdf&line=G/2

There is no true number on how much it will take to start crushing the NEW crush sleeve. But once it starts to crush, it will crush FAST. so don't use an impact. make sure you have an in/lb dial type torque wrench to read how much resistance is on the bearings. (this will be the rotational friction of the pinion gear itself, WITHOUT the ring gear and diff installed.

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS