Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

want to build a stang

Pretty simple. I've got a 2000 mustang gt with 86,000 miles. Motor is all stock. I've got 4.10 gears, 5 speed. I'd like to make a fun street car. What do you recommend doing. I'd like to stay around 3500-4k tops. Here's the catch. I'd like to have someone do it. I want to drop it off, and not have it back until everything is good. Bugs out, etc. Just want to drive the car. Not going to be a track car, just want a fun street car. I do currently run a Diablo sport 93 tune also, I've got the handheld module. Suggestions on whow to go to, and ballpark $$.

Do you want it to stay all ford or do you want it to be a real fun driver?

Def not putting a chevy engine in it if thats where you are going.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At that price point you'll probably be limited to intake/throttle body, cam, requisite valve springs, headers, full exhaust, and a tune...which will make for a nice bump, but still probably a low 13 second car...maybe high 12 w/ the 4.10's.

Heads/headwork and intake manifold would certainly help a bit more, but they aren't cheap. I think I saw trick flow PI heads for 2G+ bucks. Improved intake manifold around 900...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Here is what is done to it already

Steeda SRI Cold Air Intake with K&N Cone Filter
    New timing chains and guides and sprockets
    Diablosport 93 Octane Performance tune, programmer with data logger included
    BBK Catted X Pipe with Flowmaster mufflers. No tailpipes, but has turn-downs
    New Harmonic Balancer and idler pulleys

Aluminum Ford Racing driveshaft with new U joints
    Steeda Ball Joints
    Level 8 17x9 and 17x10.5 rims with Nitto 555 tires. Drag radials in rear
    Cobra brakes front and rear. Slotted rotors and Russell Stainless lines
    Exedy clutch replaced 2k miles ago. New Ford Racing throwout bearing and clutch fork
    Ford Racing adjustable clutch quadrant cable
    Steeda Tri-Ax short throw sifter
    Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates
    Eibach Sport Line suspension setup (shocks and springs) matched.
    Steeda bump steer kit
    Ford Racing 4:10 gears with new bearings. Basically brand new rear-end, new locker.
    AEM A/F gauge with vacuum
    Autometer oil pressure gauge.

Post whore
    Coyote engine.

I'd love to put one in a fox, not this car. If anything I'd do a 4v but that's just too much $$ to spend on this car.

Their are options to go fast for the budget you plan on spending. Just keep the hood closed and don't tell you friends.

cam, nitrous, tune?
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

want to build a stang

Ugh.. This guy with pushing the chevy swap..

You can buy a used centri-kit for that price. Find a tuner you trust and have them email tune it.

I suggest renting dyno time for the tune. Safety reasons.

Never ran nitrous before, always worried I'd blow something sky high. What's safer? Wet? Dry? First modular motor I've owned. Had 10 mustangs before this, never ran nitrous.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    on3 turbo kit.

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmage View Post
    on3 turbo kit.
    surprised by the price (~1800). He might be able to have that installed within budget. Good call.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    surprised by the price (~1800). He might be able to have that installed within budget. Good call.
    the only catch is, i think he'll need to get a k-member which could bump the price of that up a little bit. Either way, I have a friend down near Beloit who put it on his basically stock 94 5.0 and made a little over 400 to the wheels. pretty awesome for a bolt on system with not a lot of upgrades.

buyer beware, its still a cheap system though. I have no first hand experience with it, but take it for what its worth. With that being said, i really cannot wait to get one for my 4v

Quote Originally Posted by 05caddyext View Post
    Never ran nitrous before, always worried I'd blow something sky high. What's safer? Wet? Dry? First modular motor I've owned. Had 10 mustangs before this, never ran nitrous.
    Personally, I wouldn't run spray on a 2v. The composite intakes are already known to warp and crack, and with yours being a 2000 if it hasn't been replaced, that should be the first thing you should do (the replacement intakes have the aluminum cross over).

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Ugh.. This guy with pushing the chevy swap..

You can buy a used centri-kit for that price. Find a tuner you trust and have them email tune it.

I suggest renting dyno time for the tune. Safety reasons.
    I agree with Irish on this one. For what you are looking to spend you might even be able to find a good deal on a tuner kit new.

on3 turbo kit.
    the only catch is, i think he'll need to get a k-member which could bump the price of that up a little bit. Either way, I have a friend down near Beloit who put it on his basically stock 94 5.0 and made a little over 400 to the wheels. pretty awesome for a bolt on system with not a lot of upgrades.

buyer beware, its still a cheap system though. I have no first hand experience with it, but take it for what its worth. With that being said, i really cannot wait to get one for my 4v
    I believe that UPR makes a rather inexpensive K member so that could work.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Im with old guy, the chevy swap is the best bang for the buck... but telling people you did it ruffles everyones feathers. For that budget and not wanting to get dirty severly restricts options and it will still be slow.

I think he can pull a "fun street car", out of the price range. Limited yes, but fun is a personal perspective. I'd go with the on3 turbo kit if I were you, seems like the best bang for your buck, even with the K-member cost included. 400+hp is definitely fun for the street in a car that light. (not fun for a 5th gen boat)
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

I think wanting someone else to do the labor really is holding you back. I think a frugal guy could 4V that car and put a blower on it for the budget of four grand, if he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty.

If it was me and I had $4,000 to put into that car I'd I'd do Maximuim Motorsports k-member, control arms, front and rear Bilstein coil overs, solid steering shaft, bump steer kit, panhard bar and torque arm, MM rear lower control arms, and SS brake lines.

Was the last post a joke? Anyway I'm not afraid to get dirty. I know nothing about these motors. I'd love to work with someone who actually knows what they are doing with them. I've pulled a few 302s before, this motor is like foreign language to me. Car has a lot of the stuff mentioned in the last post, none of which I did. It sits exactly how I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by 05caddyext View Post
    Was the last post a joke? Anyway I'm not afraid to get dirty. I know nothing about these motors. I'd love to work with someone who actually knows what they are doing with them. I've pulled a few 302s before, this motor is like foreign language to me. Car has a lot of the stuff mentioned in the last post, none of which I did. It sits exactly how I bought it.

If you ever need to bounce some questions around on the 4.6 let me know. I've owned 4 94-04 cars and have swapped a couple 4v motors into gt's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk