Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Mupra

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Nice progress on parts buying, can't wait to see it at least mocked up in the car! Like others had said, those heads make the engine look like its had a hard life with few oil changes. Glad to hear youre stripping it completely down and sending er in!

I hated working on the 2JZ that I had lol
    Last edited by blackmage; 12-19-2014 at 06:14 AM.

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

So I got quite a bit done tonight. I'm not very pleased with the condition of this motor at all, so some phone calls will be made.

Should be a bare block tomorrow, after I pick up a puller.

92 Bimini Blue Coupe ZZZZzzzzZZZ
    2003 DSG Cobra

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
    Function:Error
    IF IT DOESN'T HAVE TITS, A TRIGGER, OR THROTTLE I'M NOT INTERESTED

Post whore
    Wow that's probably one of the worse 2j I've seen inside. Sorry to see that but I'd bet that thing still ran like a champ. Lol. Looks like they ran GM DexCool plus never changed it......ever. I can still see cross-hatching in the cylinders which is a good thing. You also should have drained the block of coolant using that drain on the right side. That would have kept the coolant from going into the cylinders when you pulled off the head. It makes the cylinders looks worse then they really are.
    It's gonna take a few times in the block washer to get all of that crap out of there. Once fully cleaned I think you'll be just fine.
    Where did you buy this engine from? I know when I bought mine the TPS was broken and the valve seats were a little pitted so I called the place I purchased my 2jzgte from and they actually gave me a $550 refund. Since I was rebuilding mine right away it didn't make a big difference but the money helped. Japan has a law where they can't drive their cars after a certain milage or KM but I think they can pay a tax to do so after the set Km and that's why there so many used JDM drivetrains out there for sale. If this is the case with this engine, the person really abused this poor little 2jz.

I've seen videos of these lots filled with all sorts of cool cars like old Z cars, Skylines and Toyotas. I would love to get my hands on a 2 door 70s GTR Skyline. They are gorgeous vehicles. Heck I'd even take a 70s Celica GT. Those are bad ass looking rides. Just slap in a 2j or a Beams 3sgte and I would have one sweet old school Japanese muscle car. Just getting it over here would cost another $5-7k on top of the cars price.
    Last edited by spooln30; 12-20-2014 at 05:58 PM.

I bought it from jdmusamotors on eBay who supposedly has people in japan hand picking stuff for them. If you're up for another build I will be in contact with you. PM me a number I can contact you at.

This is their warranty

Warranty:

· USAJDMMOTORS, INC. ENSURES THAT EVERY USED ENGINE THAT IS SOLD WILL BE IN WORKING AND SERVICABLE CONDITION. HOWEVER THESE ENGINES ARE USED AND THE WARRANTY IS LISTED BELOW.

1. Used Engines-60 Days

2. Used Performance Engines (turboed, VTEC, VVT-i)-30 Days

3. Rotary Engines-No Warranty

4. Electrical Parts and Components-No Warranty

5. Used Transmission-30 Days

· The warranty covers all internal engine parts.

· 30 day Warranty will not covered if installation is done by a non-certified mechanic.

6. Customer is responsible for all charges on return items and shipment of replacement parts will be held until we have inspected the item and verified its defects.

7. JDMUSAMOTORS, INC. is not responsible for any labor work.

8. Warranty becomes null and void if found that customer negligence is the reason for blown engines.

ITEMS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY:

1. All external parts.

Disclaimer:
    JDMUSAMOTORS INC. will not be held responsible for installation and uncharacteristic uses of engines/transmissions. As such, the following parts and incidents are not covered under our warranty

1. Engines and transmissions are required to be professionally installed. We do not provide any installation support and recommend that all work should be done by an AES certified technician. Warranty becomes null and void if installation is not done by a certified technician.

2. All exterior body parts, interior, wheels, suspensions, axles are under no warranty.

3. External parts of the engine such as, power steering, starters, hoses, flywheel, clutches, wiring, gaskets, sensors, and ECU.

4. Customers are responsible for flushing the oil system and changing of the oil pump. Failure to do so will null and void any warranty due to engine failure.
    Last edited by Slow5oh; 12-20-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    2003 DSG Cobra

Nice to see someone do a Supra motor swap in a car for a change.

Post whore
    What else were people swapping them into? Lol

just heard back on the head, it IS usable, now to clean up the block and send that out.
    2003 DSG Cobra

Thats not really that bad.... Like Spooln30 said what you really care about is the condition of the cylinders etc and all that stuff looks good at least in the pics. if there was pitting/corrosion etc in the cylinders that would be one thing. Inside the water passages a lot of that really doesnt matter a bit. Keep in mind it may have sat somewhere for some amount of time before being pulled sent over here and sold so a lot of that corrosion might just be from sitting. If your tearing it down just have it hot tanked if you have to and it will be good as new in there.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Heads done, just waiting on price for the cams. Then block will go off to get hot tanked, machined, lined honed for the billet mains.
    2003 DSG Cobra

Post whore
    If you don't have cams then the heads not done. You still have to set the valve clearances.

Did you end up picking between the GSC S1's and S2's? I was just informed my GSC S2's are on backorder for 2 months!!!

Looked into the alternative being the Kelford 202-d's 274/280's and they are on backorder till 3/27/15! UGH!

The head for my car is sitting at M&S in New York waiting to be shimmed LOL

I'll shoot you a text this weekend!

- Andy
    97' Ren Red Supra... small turbo/corn/Th400
    00' S2000... 5.3/S480/4L80E----backburner
    02' S2000... wide/low/slow!

Post whore
    According to GSCs website both S1 and the S2 are out of stock.
    I don't think he needs the S2 cams, I think a 264 ish cam will work just fine with his turbo size he planing on running. The S1 cam I believe is a 269 cam. Now if he was running a 71mm turbo or larger I would say a 274ish or the S2 cam for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    If you don't have cams then the heads not done. You still have to set the valve clearances.
    Touche, I should say the head is ready to be shimmed and picked up

Quote Originally Posted by AK_S2K View Post
    Did you end up picking between the GSC S1's and S2's? I was just informed my GSC S2's are on backorder for 2 months!!!

Looked into the alternative being the Kelford 202-d's 274/280's and they are on backorder till 3/27/15! UGH!

The head for my car is sitting at M&S in New York waiting to be shimmed LOL

I'll shoot you a text this weekend!

- Andy
    I called and spoke with them directly and they said they have a couple sets of VVT-i cams in stock @1075 for the set.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    According to GSCs website both S1 and the S2 are out of stock.
    I don't think he needs the S2 cams, I think a 264 ish cam will work just fine with his turbo size he planing on running. The S1 cam I believe is a 269 cam. Now if he was running a 71mm turbo or larger I would say a 274ish or the S2 cam for sure.
    The VVT-i cams aren't on their website. Reid said to go with the S1s, but GSC is telling me stage 2 for my power goals and turbo. They have different specs than the non vvti cams I guess.
    2003 DSG Cobra

Post whore
    Oh yeah I forgot your still going with the vvti. What are the gsc s2 vvti specs?
    I remember you saying your goal was 1k hp so that would be around 800ish whp so according to GSCs website the S1 fits right in your range. Usually 274 cams are for 71mm to 80mm turbos but people have run 274s on turbos in the 61-68mm range. You will notice a slight idle loop but you've never ran a 2jz so you probably won't even notice the difference. Lol . Now if you plan on going for more power down the road then get the S2 or 274 deg cams. Lmk when your ready to rock n roll.
    Last edited by spooln30; 02-01-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Head will be done next week, I ended up going with GSC Stage 2 cams.
    2003 DSG Cobra

Post whore
    Good choice. Did you take the block in for machine work yet?

Finally picked this doohickey up. Block will be going out shortly after, then k-member/motor mount fab starts.

2003 DSG Cobra

Post whore
    Good to see its moving foward. Btw what head studs are you going to use? The regular ARPs studs or the larger/stronger CA625+? If your going with the larger studs don't get the L19s because they do corrode but you would've had to made this decision before the head was done because the holes needed to be enlarged. You should give me a call before your going to take the block in so we can go over the plans and make sure things are headed in the right direction.

Nice build! You have a super clean notch. I like the swap, it's different!

Post whore
    It's different and gonna be a beast but what would be really different would be a rotary like a triple rotor. Lol. Nothing like a loud obnoxious torque - less engine right. Lol. Kidding of course. Would be kinda cool to see though.