Thread: Tires???

Tires???

I know this question has been asked a million times but prices change, shops come and go, people change places of employment. Whats the best deal for mounting and balancing as I have 4 new tires I purchased over the net.
    2001 Bonneville SSEI (AKA JUNK)
    2002 35th Aniv Camaro Z28
    1999 Cavalier Z24 5 spd
    1995 Camaro Z28 (rip)
    1993 Eclipse GSX (project)

You're gonna get fucked where every you go. I called or stopped in prolly 20 places in February, got numbers from $25-40 PER TIRE to mount and balance. Monroe said $80 plus tax. So I went there. It was $80 plus tax. Plus $10 for valve stems. Plus 10% "shop supplies." And it took four fucking hours. And when they were done dude gives me this bitchy "I woulda charged you more if I had known those were so big." when I came in to pick my truck up.

I hate hate hate hate hate not being able to do some things myself. I haven't found a decent corner garage around me and the chains are all shit. Bait and switch, charge for nothing, flat out lie about needing work. Charge $70 for an alignment then an extra $40 because they had to set caster/camber. $50 to balance tires then $10 extra to move the fronts to the rear and rears to the fronts when they put the wheels back on. The whole industry is fucking crooks and I'm a little embarrassed to be part of it.

One of the few things I miss from my last job was the tire machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

If your military, try going to one of the hobby shops on a base somewhere. Also check for deals from places like walmart or sams club, places like that. My buddy just got stiffed (IMO) from tiresplus for mounting 4 set of tires for a Mitsubishi. Around a $90 per tire. I'd stay away from franchised tires places...
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Post whore
    Mr P 's in BayView charges $20 per tire for mount and balancing with valve stems. At least that's what he's charged me the last time I went there. Actually the last time I went there was to get my atv tires mounted and they charged me $10 per tire. Which is way cheaper than every place I called at the time. Most other places wanted $20-25 and didn't understand I didn't need them balanced and where trying to charge me for it. Saying it's a set charge and they couldn't change the price. What a joke.
    I can't believe the guy said he should ve charged you more because of the size of your tires. Lol! What does that matter? Because it took more effort to pick the tires up.

For a while I had a good deal going with F&F tire in brookfield. They were seeing me every few weeks for a different mount/dismount, so being on a first name basis I was getting 2 tires done for $20 or so, giving them a couple days to do it. I'm pretty sure they were doing it cash under the table but it never cause me any issues.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Discount Tire in waukesha on sunset just did my rears for $16/tire and they cleaned my wheels and put Maguires tire dressing on. Top notch service to say the least! I did buy my tires on discount tire website so i think they gave me a deal. When i called they said $25/tire but they only billed me $32. I WILL be going back there fuck mr ps disgustingly dirty shit. You need a hazmat suit to sit in the lobby of those dumps.

2005 Roush Sport, 2009 F-150 PLATINUM SCREW
    You can get your Ford in any color you want, as long as it's black.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    ^ I had an outstanding experience there as well. Wouldn't hesitate to go back, as long as the same store manager is there.

Employees change, managers get moved to different stores...

How long it stays that way is subjective.

walmart in west bend always did a real nice job for me. It seems over the years the register girls never seem to know how to actually ring in the job. I've paid anywhere between $22-40 TOTAL for 4 tires dismount/mount/balance (so $5.50-10 per tire), never more than 40, but its been two years now since I've needed a swap.

The last tire swap I had to do, the tech guys there were so overly concerned with the condition of my wheels that they told me they couldn't balance because they didn't have any more stick on weights. I had to tell them I originally wanted the pound-on lip weights and they seemed surprised.

When i say tire swaps at walmart, people always want to argue with me that they somehow fucked up my rims just because it was done at walmart. Not one blemish, scratch, or problem on many many wheels and tires over the years. The only downside is often they are booked so you have to leave the wheels/tires with them for a while. If you schedule it though, no problems and they'll even let you watch if you want.

Shrug.

At Mr Ps, I always got a 'discount' because the druggie guy at the register could never remember the price he told me on the phone, and I used that to my advantage.

These days may be passed for me though, I have a beer-for-tire-swap hookup now
    Last edited by animal; 08-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.