Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder coating

powder coating

Any recommendations for getting some wheels powder coated around here other then hytec? I know hytec does great work but the price the guy who was there gave me seemed ridiculously high. Mike wasn't there today but I'm guessing he probably would of given the same price.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    Well, I would recommend talking directly to Mike. Are they already dismounted, washed, and media blasted? What size wheels are we talking about?

Tim Zimmer
    TMZ Performance
    via HTC One
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

They are brand new polished aluminum wheels still in the box 15"x10" and 17"x4.5"

I would guess $500-800 depending on how crazy you are going with colors and materials.

Tim Zimmer
    TMZ Performance
    via HTC One
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

I guess I was just expecting it to be less seeing all over online people paying 50-75 a wheel. I was quoted 125 a wheel and then I showed the guy a pic of what I wanted and he said probably more depending on the amount of work. I just want the face and back gloss black leaving a polished lip.

Well, it takes more prep time to do what you want on a polished wheel than on a simple alloy wheel that is getting sprayed all over in one process

Tim Zimmer
    TMZ Performance
    via HTC One
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Senior Member..now yer posting! DNT H8's Avatar
    Ive had work done by HY-TEC Coatings in Waukesha. Great work and they are big on making sure your happy, turn a round was usually 4 to 7 days.
    1989 Mustang <--- Stock ; )
    2011 Mustang 5.0 <--- Blown
    2002 Focus <--- Winter beater
    2014 Escape Titanium <--- Family
    2013 Flex Limited <--- Family

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    ^^someone stopped reading after the title.
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    1986 Mazda RX-7 13B Turbo
    2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, low, slow daily
    2000 Saturn SC1 - RWD project, broken
    1996 Suzuki Bandit 600
    1997 Golf GTI mid engine vr6

lol indeed....

I would try and catch Mike again, wouldnt hurt.

Have you talked to otherpowdercoaters? I've never went to hy tec. I usually went through B&K Powdercoating

There is a guy in Hales Corners that advertises on Craigslist...
    But I have no personal experience with him.
    1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build

I haven't had a chance yet because by the time I get out of work everyone is closed and I'd like to get a quote in person.

I finally had a chance to get back up to hytec and they said they cant guarantee a clean line because of the stuff getting under the masking and that the wheels would definitely have to be repolished and overall didn't seem overly interested in doing them. I emailed B&K a couple weeks ago and asked some questions one of which was whether they recommend aluminum being done with low temp powder and they only replied to that one saying they don't do low temp and that was it. This is what I am trying to get done below. Might have to take them to chicago or get them painted.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLightning View Post
    I finally had a chance to get back up to hytec and they said they cant guarantee a clean line because of the stuff getting under the masking and that the wheels would definitely have to be repolished and overall didn't seem overly interested in doing them. I emailed B&K a couple weeks ago and asked some questions one of which was whether they recommend aluminum being done with low temp powder and they only replied to that one saying they don't do low temp and that was it. This is what I am trying to get done below. Might have to take them to chicago or get them painted.
    Professionals are telling you these things for good reason. The person you find to do this is going to end up giving you an end product they won't stand behind and will have all the issues professionals are telling you up front.
    -Nick Chandler

Post whore
    Just buy a powder coating set up from Harbor Freight and a used oven. It's easier then people think. It's mostly prep time.

I went to HyTec and found their work to be top notch. I had them powder coat a steering column and adapters. Coating were very uniform and they ended up recoating a part because of the pot metal.

Highly recommended.

I found a place that said they can do them no problem so I am taking them in tomorrow. I will post results good or bad.

I got a sneak peek pic off the places instagram page. Going to pick them up sunday and get the tires mounted while I am there.

I actually have 2 15x10 racestars I need coated black. What did they charge you if I can ask? If I remember correctly hytec was 100 a wheel...

I was quoted 75-85 a wheel and an additional 20 if i wanted the lips cleared.