Rex Kramer - Thrill Seeker

Question Lightened flywheel on a Honda V-Twin

Hey guys, I haven't been on this forum for quite some time. Since the last time I was on here, I picked up a '98 Honda Superhawk (996cc V-Twin) in pieces. It was literally a basket case. If you're curious on the build, click here. I'm starting to do a few modifications to the engine:

-11.5 High compression pistons
    -Dr. Honda aluminum velocity stacks
    -Custom exhaust (mimic Moriwaki)
    -Custom airbox modifications (gutted the airbox and made more volume post filter)
    -New jets for the carbs

I also want to lighten the flywheel. There is a guy that does this (does a fantastic job too) on another forum I'm a member of, but he is a few states west of here and is quite busy. I would really like to find somebody local. Is there someone here that does this? Even someone experienced with a metal lathe could do it. I have the specs that I would like the flywheel turned down to.

It doesn't need to be balanced afterwards. However, if someone does have the capability to do it, then I would get it done, depending on price.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
    '73 Datsun 240GNZ (Buick Grand National engine)
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab
    Superhawk Chopper (Build in progress)

Post whore
    That should be an easy task for any machine shop in our area. All they have to do is stick it on a lathe and start cutting. Well they do have to be careful not to take too much off and only remove where there's enough material to do so. If you know the best spots to take material off just let them know this when you drop it off. Far as machine shops you can call C&S.
    I did this myself to my 7m flywheel years back when I had access to a lathe. I was able to remove 12 lbs total from it. Which isn't a whole lot considering my forged aluminum Flywheel weighs only 11.5 lbs total but for a +40 lb stock FW taking off 12 lbs did help some what. I actually removed material off the front and back then just made a step on the Disc side just like the factory. I probably could've removed more but I didn't want to push it. I did noticed a slight increase in rev speed and it never warped with all of the material removed.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    I did noticed a slight increase in rev speed
    Just a slight increase after loosing 12lbs., huh? Haha
    Are you talking about the ol' 7MGTE? I know a guy that has a built 7M (~600hp to the wheels) in a S30 Datsun Z car (same body style as the '73 in my sig.) and it's just simply wicked with that engine in such a light car. Neat combo.

Just curious, but with the aluminum flywheel you installed, how was the engine characteristics? Was it a good choice? I heard different views on why it's a good idea to loose the weight and also why it's good to stick with stock. I doubt that I will ever play around with one of those engines, but like I said, I am just curious.

I will call C&S tomorrow to see what they say about lightening my flywheel. I appreciate the information man, thanks.
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab

Post whore
    I never had an issue with my forged aluminum flywheel. I am not sure I understand your comment about the slight increase. To take 12 lbs off a 40+ lb FW then to just have a 11.5 lb FW the increase in rev speed was far more noticeable with the 11.5 lb then the lighten stocker as to be expected.

I thought you were being sarcastic with the "slight increase" comment you made. I assumed it would make a big difference between the stock 40lb. flywheel and your 28lb. lightened flywheel.

I was wondering about how driving the car had changed. Not if having an aluminum flywheel instead of a steel flywheel was an issue.

I was just curious is all.
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab

Post whore
    The clutch engagement felt a little different. Heel toe shifting was easier to maintain and it also seemed like I could shift a little faster.