Hybrid View

Are those 2x4's attached to the concrete block or are they just floating? I'm curious as the why they didn't just build a regular stud wall. They used 2x4's as furring strips, why not just build the wall the way you normally would? Also here is what I did in my basement for what it's worth. I drylocked the entire wall first. Then I put up 2x4 walls. I used the insulation that is wrapped in plastic already, it's complete encased instead of just being open. I then put up 4mil plastic vapor barrier over that. I even insulated the interior walls down there, with regular batt-type insulation. For the few bucks it cost, I wanted to added heat retention down there, and it helped dramatically with noise reduction. I used the pink foamboard insulation in a very small section because I needed the extra inch to put the toilet back in the bathroom that I built. There was already a toilet, and by the time I built a 2x4 wall, then covered it with 3/4" pine car-siding, it would have been to thick, so I used that 2" pink foamboard in a 4' section. Depending in how long you plan on living there, and how much you plan on using it, the ultimate insulation would be to have someone come in and spray foam it. That stuff is amazing, but costly.

Quote Originally Posted by 05caddyext View Post
    Are those 2x4's attached to the concrete block or are they just floating? I'm curious as the why they didn't just build a regular stud wall. They used 2x4's as furring strips, why not just build the wall the way you normally would? Also here is what I did in my basement for what it's worth. I drylocked the entire wall first. Then I put up 2x4 walls. I used the insulation that is wrapped in plastic already, it's complete encased instead of just being open. I then put up 4mil plastic vapor barrier over that. I even insulated the interior walls down there, with regular batt-type insulation. For the few bucks it cost, I wanted to added heat retention down there, and it helped dramatically with noise reduction. I used the pink foamboard insulation in a very small section because I needed the extra inch to put the toilet back in the bathroom that I built. There was already a toilet, and by the time I built a 2x4 wall, then covered it with 3/4" pine car-siding, it would have been to thick, so I used that 2" pink foamboard in a 4' section. Depending in how long you plan on living there, and how much you plan on using it, the ultimate insulation would be to have someone come in and spray foam it. That stuff is amazing, but costly.
    Alot of people didn't want to lose the square footage with doing it the right way. Whenever you are attaching something directly to foundation you are running a risk. Our house is a similar situation and I found I had hydraulic leak up through the floor during last thaw. Waiting to see how this tlaw goes before I redo our basement. Can really get into some money if you start throwing mold resistant everything at it without knowing what you are actually battling