Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ford Exploder Heads

What year did ford come out with the better heads for the exploder. I have a chance to get one for scrap price and was wondering if these heads were the better ones. It is a 1997 and it runs, I have no use for the motor or vehicle but could use a good set of heads for the new 347 stroker I got a while back. It will be for sale as soon as I can get to it. For now I am looking for some better heads for it, if not it will be sold as a short block.

Up until jan/feb of 97 they were gt40s after that they were gt40p which were better but required specific headers due to the spark plug location. those heads are wayyyy to small for a 347.

Yeah there is no way in hell a gt40 head will flow enough for a 347. In a iron head you might want to look for a set of used Windsor Sr heads.

If you want I have a set of 1969 351W heads you can have them all (3 sets) you can pick which ones you want or take them all for dirt cheap. But I don't think those will flow enough either.

What kind of flow numbers do these GT40 heads have. I was under the impression the were as good as the chevy vortecs. I know the vortecs will easly make 400hp with a cam upgrade and the Mid America motors that B&B dyno are at 497-502hp. The Mid motors are a little peake in the rpm range they run in. Not a good street motor but fantastic on the track. The vortec are only factory rated at 170cfm on the intake. I always do most of the porting on the exhaust side with only a little clean up on the intake side.

You would spend less time if you just googled the shit yourself. I feel bad for the guy who had to hold your hand while you learn the chevy stuff

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...240-184-a.html

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablehdc.htm#Ford
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    You would spend less time if you just googled the shit yourself. I feel bad for the guy who had to hold your hand while you learn the chevy stuff

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...240-184-a.html

Lol

Post whore
    Didnt you say you had a complete motor pan to brand new intake?

I do but I was trying to find out what heads would be the best for the motor. I don't think the heads on the motor are that great if they are just a set of 302 heads. You can copy the cubic inches but the heads are what makes the power.

Well I got done putting the bottom end together and had a chance to look at the heads that came off the motor. The cam makes power for 2200-6200rpms and its a hyd roller. Motor came out of a station wagon and he rebuilt it himself so that's why the hodg podg of parts. The heads are stamped E6SE and I can't find any information on them. So he is looking for the best heads for a cheap price, he has the headers for the old heads so the GT40P are out of the question. I know what I would do but he wants to use a ford motor that he has.

What is his budget for heads?
    How do I edit my signature?

More in the line of a set of GT40 door stops. I can get a set from our local motor core buyer and do the porting and head work myself. I would like to get a set from some one that just wants to get them out of his way.
    Last edited by Old Guy; 03-20-2014 at 06:41 AM.

I guess, if you are doing the work for free. Otherwise, I don't see how porting and working a set of Iron heads is any cheaper then a set of aluminum.

It not hard to port a set of heads. 4 hours with a grinder sanding rolls and some flap wheels and their as good as new. I could never see a reason to send out a set of iron heads to have some one else port them. I have done lots of heads for friends and customers alike. Its not in Tims budget at this time to spend on a set of after market heads. I would like to get the car together and running with what I can come up with.

4 hours? You're not porting them, you're just cleaning them up.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    What kind of flow numbers do these GT40 heads have.
    Pretty much flow data on every head ever made from modern to archaic:

Also includes worked versions from various shops from mild to wild.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    This guy he's still at it. Don't listen to them you put those fucking heads on...
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

The GT40s sound like the best choice for the motor right now, THANKS. As soon as I get a set on the bench and get them prepped I will be able to get the motor assembled.

Really GT40 are your best option, man your in a bad position.

4 hours wouldn't even take off the thermo bumps.

I have asked on here what are the best heads for the lowest price. If there is something better then let me know what they are. As for the porting if you are using only the sanding rolls then mabe it would take that long. I have expensive bits that do most of the ruffing in and then the sanding rolls come into play and then the flap wheels for the final polish. 90% of the flow is gained with a simple pocket port. I think most of the people on here forget that this is a SIMPLE street /bracket car.

Like I said go find a used set of Windsor SR heads.