Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Picked up a set of GT 40 heads from a mustang guy. $50 for the pair, said they have been holding the door open long enough. Should have the motor buttoned up this week and in the car.

Thats cool, be sure to tell us how it under performs and you should have put a chevy in it.
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

So the best heads that ford made for the mustang and you think it will under perform. For the price they will do just fine. A little clean up on the porting bench and this thing will rock??

No you just keep missing the point. Its like a bad punchline.

You have a 347 which is 45 CI more than a stock. And you are putting a set of heads on it that will choke a 302. So you think the weak part of the engine is the displacement. Again completely flipping wrong. Do you know anything about engines? Like they are nothing more than air pumps, with HP and TQ being a by product? For a stock 302 you need a 165 cc head to make a difference, on a 347-351 you need a 195 cc head. And no Ford made better they are called FMS Yates 6049. Which is a knock off of a BBC head. Which would be on the other side of the spectrum, ports are to big and you will lose air velocity.

Lets look at the Lightning engine, its a 351, so about the same displacement as a 347. Or at least closer to the 351 than the 302. And those had GT40 heads on it. So what was the HP of a first gen lighting?

WOW a whole 240 HP. That sounds awesome. That's like 30 HP more than a stock 5.0. Sign me up. Fuck even my stupidly slow 302 in my Mustang will have better VE than the pile of shit your building.

So go ahead and place those awesomely 4 hour ported GT40 on a 347 so we can laugh at you.

Sorry about the mix up on motors Gregor. The motor that the GT40 heads are going on is a fresh 306 not the stroker motor. I have not had time to get to the stroker because its maybe number 6 after the other motors. The 306 is for the guy that I share the shop with, he is so booked up that he does not have time to do the rebuild on his motor. Then and only then will I maybe have time to look at the 347 and see what in it. I have a guy from west of Chicago that picked up a vortec short block sunday morning and said he would be very interested in it when and if I get around to it. Gregor if you interested in the 347 short block PM me.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, now we know it's for a 306 or whatever...I mean, you did say it was for a 347 and did nothing to correct any errors when it was mentioned numerous times afterwards...reminds me of grim reaper...

Though I honestly don't know why GT40's would *choke* a 347? They aren't the worst heads in the world, on par with dozen's of stock iron heads from 340's, 350's, and 360's (amc's and mopars). A lot better than stock 302's for certain...THOSE would *choke* a 347, and almost choke 302's. Better head choices out there no doubt...for not a lot of money either...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I have set of pro ported GT40 laying around at my friends shop. I picked them up for dirt cheap. I had many head porters look at them and confirm this. And even then they would not come close to a set of AFRs. They were also machined for studs, and bigger valve springs.

They would be good for a small displacement 302 biased engine as a non performance application.

I will agree that any of the factory iron heads are no match for a set of after market heads. All of the performance motors back in the day, had a good set of stock iron heads. With some porting they were the hot ticket for the street and strip. Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast. Good choice with the AFRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast. .
    God damn your a fucking douche bag

I will agree that any of the factory iron heads are no match for a set of after market heads. All of the performance motors back in the day, had a good set of stock iron heads. With some porting they were the hot ticket for the street and strip. Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast. Good choice with the AFRs.
    GT40 were never a good setup. Only if you were racing Factory stock or CMC and then your BS 4 hour port job is a slap in the face to anyone who ports heads for a living. Because when the explorer and cobra had those heads, TFS and Edelbrock were twice the head.

And just saying " Now with the number of after market heads on the market even the clown down the street with a big wallet and no talent can go fast." Shows how really retarded you are. Yes it takes money all motorsports do. Why because a cheap fuck like you won't spend the cash to buy a good set of heads or is it that you can't take a basic principal of air goes in and air goes out. It takes more than just money to build a top performing engine, it takes time and a plan. From carburetor to oil pan, everything has to be planned out.

Maybe you should stick to Chevys for a bit longer and go run the market on 3/4 cams and double hump cylinder heads.

Please go back and read post #25. Its NOT my motor or car or anything, I am just doing the rebuild. The guy does not have a lot of money with 3 kids and a X wife. This motor is so he can drive the car and have a little fun with it on a BUDGET. Pocket porting the heads will give it that little extra that is needed for FREE over the set of E6 station wagon heads that it came with. I enjoy helping people out, because I can.
    Last edited by Old Guy; 03-26-2014 at 10:41 PM.

So the best heads that ford made for the mustang and you think it will under perform. For the price they will do just fine. A little clean up on the porting bench and this thing will rock??

Gt40 heads were made for the explorer not mustang street guys used them on mustangs because it was a cheap and easy way to produce a few extra horses. Most guys were to lazy to do the whole swap to make a real differance being bigger injectors as well as tb and maf and most of the ones that did did it ass backwards

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

347 and 306 have the same bore 4.030 the stroke is different. Take a look at this obviously there are a few people on this tread that don't know there ass from a hole in the ground!!! http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...mation.719569/

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper3143 View Post
    347 and 306 have the same bore 4.030 the stroke is different. Take a look at this obviously there are a few people on this tread that don't know there ass from a hole in the ground!!! http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...mation.719569/

So the point your trying to make is...?

@ this thread

Gt40 heads were made for the explorer not mustang street guys used them on mustangs because it was a cheap and easy way to produce a few extra horses. Most guys were to lazy to do the whole swap to make a real differance being bigger injectors as well as tb and maf and most of the ones that did did it ass backwards

Wrong, 1993, 94, & 95 Cobra and Cobra R Mustangs all had GT-40 heads. Ford Performance also sold these for many years bare, assembled, and on crate motors. Stock GT-40 irons, which are almost a direct copy of '69 351 windsors, are only good for 20-25 hp over a stock E7 heads no matter what parts you use with them. Also a stock 19lb injector will support 350 HP n/a at 44psi so swapping injectors would gain nothing.

Pure genius! You stated a obvious fact which was never disputed then claimed superiority, well done.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    So the point your trying to make is...?
    That YOU don't know your ass from a hole in the ground. Now what?
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    I think he was referring to you Nan. Are you going to bring the Obama bail out car to the track this year?