Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My toys

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar

My toys

I haven't noticed the RC section until recently, I didn't know there were some of you into this. I'm a pro by no means, I just play with my stuff and have fun building/tweaking them. I honestly beat the SHIT out of my truck. I got into it when a couple of buddies and I decided to get trucks to play with while deployed, then we started racing them against each other, breaking stuff, upgrading and it just went from there. I've had my T4.1 in Japan, Thailand, Oki, S Korea, Wake Island, Hawaii, Afghan, Alaska, Philippines, Singapore, Kuwait and many states in the US. Needless to say, I learned real quick to carry spare parts lol! Currently has a Mamba Max 5700, 30 pinion and 3 cell lipos.

My truck after running down the packed snowy roads.

I learned a long time ago that a cut up Ziploc bag saves a lot of headaches after playing.

Cleaned up.

This truck is on it's 3rd chassis, 3rd body and just about nothing on it is stock. Like I said, I'm not easy on it. Ha!
    Last edited by USMARINE1108; 02-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.

A few years ago I picked up a 18th scale for my kids for cheap. The guy had built it but there was a few things wrong with it which made it no fun to drive. A little bit of sorting it out and this is where we're at with it. Brushed motor and NiMh batts for the kids, but this thing is still pretty quick.

Our dog, Miss Lucile, hates these things.

I had a t3 long time ago when ABC hobby was open and raced in the basement. Now i've got one sc10 one slash and a b4 basically a b4.1 lol I've still got toys sitting at my moms house i think theres two clodbusters one micro rs4 with carbonfiber chassis I know i've got one if not two gold pan chassis cars one buggy one truck. I might have to take a look lol
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Well I don't have quite that much stuff, but we have fun with what we have! My dad is pretty big into the airplane stuff around here, I just like to beat the crap out of my toys around the street/yard/house. My T4.1 will do a backflip on the carpet in the house, my kids love that!

I'd like to try out a track, I found one in Brookfield. Is that the one you guys talk about going to? Do I have anything that would qualify for any of the classes (their website is a little ambiguous)? I've never played with this stuff on a track before but would like to give it a try, looks like fun!

I always liked r/c trucks but never got around to spending the cash for the nice stuff. I picked up a used duratrack evader a few years back and between me and the kids pretty much killed it numerous times over. After taking my son to Trackside a couple of times this past week, I finally picked up a new traxxas slash for his birthday this weekend....so I get the feeling I will be spending a ton of cash very soon on one for me.lol

The only local place I've been to is Greenfield News and Hobby. They had a couple of trucks on consignment that seemed like good deals, but you obviously run the risk of what happened with me when I got the kids' and get something that someone built that doesn't run right. For what I paid for it (craigslist) and eventually ended up with, it turned out to be a great deal and just took a few hours of work to completely tear down, rebuild from the manual (I just downloaded it) and figuring out how to set up the aftermarket parts correctly.
    Last edited by USMARINE1108; 02-08-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Trackside is the track i believe your talking about and thats where i've raced on and off. The t4 with your setup i think would be a mod truck and they usually don't get to many of those once and a while i see them run a class of them but usually its all shortcourse trucks and buggies. Yoo the evader you had was known to fall apart easy i had one i used to race and it broke many a times on the easiest hits. They actually had on there web site you could punch in parts and they would send you new ones they broke so often. The slash is a beast you will not break that nearly as often. is it a stock brushed one or the vxl brushless one? The brushed one should be slow enough to not break it every 5 minutes the vxl can take a beating since its the same truck with more power but evenually like me it'll break The slash i bought for the fiance to play with but i beat it up pretty hard

Forgot about my mini 1/24 scale crawler i got to haven't played with in a while. heres a few pics of the few i've got around the house

The slash

Donny, the Slash is not the vxl but when i get around to getting one for me I will be looking into a bunch of different ones. The evader we have has taken so much abuse its too funny, shit i was racing my neighbor and she swerved over the truck and crushed it but it still managed to limp back to my driveway. It wasnt too expensive to replace everything but i was surprised how easy some of the factory shit broke.

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    I have a slash 4x4 running mamba max sct combo on 3 which will do damn near 70. Can handle a 4s but the 3 is fast enough, the slash has been rebuilt many times since I beat the tar out of it. Also have a axial wraith that I bought and have played with it 4 times and now it sits

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you want something comparable to the Slash VXL but don't want to spend the money, pick up a HobbyKing/Turnigy Trooper. Also make sure you pick up plenty of spare parts (mainly a-arms) because you WILL trash it. This thing is insanely fast for the money. A touch slower than the Slash but it makes up for it by being AWD. Upgrade to the aluminum steering bellcrank right away, the plastic one from the factory can't hold up to any real abuse. Also order a metal-geared servo right off the bat. If you want to go balls-out fast get some 3S LiPo batteries, but be warned, it is ridiculously fast and until you get used to it, you're going to break it a lot. Good thing the parts are dirt cheap.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FedAMgodsGEA0w

Yeah you have to order it from Singapore, that's the only downside. When I tried to order using my debit card the bank locked my account since they assumed it was fraud, so I recommend using PayPal. I've ordered from them several times without any actual issues.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Nice I got a few to

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

you'll have fun with the slash they so a box stock slash race at trackside if enough people bring them. I'm tempted to get another one just for that

We hit trackside for a few hours today for my sons birthday and it was a blast. As expected the truck got WORKED over pretty good by my son and ended up costing more cash to rebuild the front & rear suspension..but he had so much fun and now the my other 2 kids want a truck of their own.lol It was pretty cool to take the slash down the street and jump snow piles.

I've heard/read quite a few good things about the Slash, but I like the parts compatibility (obviously not all parts are compatible, but many are) of one company. I guess it's a Ford vs GM thing, but I really don't know. I picked up my truck based on what was available at the store and there is quite a bit of aftermarket support for AE stuff. . Running around on the slippery roads is a lot of fun.

ETA: I have to say again, I've found the Ziploc bags and duct tape (air holes cut on the top of the ESC) to work very well. Blow the suspension off with compressed air when you're done and it saves a ton of headaches.
    Last edited by USMARINE1108; 02-09-2014 at 07:17 PM.

I work up at trackside hobbies on 124th and wirth. If you have any questions feel free to stop by. Saturday and Sunday open practice 11-4 wednesday and thursday12-9 open practice. racing on tuesday and friday at 7. This saturday there is an off road race and on sunday we have an oval race. Off road will be open for practice this sunday only. I will be there friday night and sat & sun. Ask for Larry

If i remember right the vxl slashes come with waterproof elec. I know my old emaxx did that was a blast in the snow. I used to bring that thing back in caked in snow and tip it over and let it all drain out over night lol. I even drove it into a lake to make sure it was waterproof it was

Senior Member..now yer posting! buttersgt350's Avatar
    I just went to Trackside yesterday for the first time to watch a buddy and it was a blast. I will definitely be getting an rc car. I found a Slash vxl with a 2c lipo and charger for $439, is that a good deal? Its the 4wd model. I cant wait to get out there and hit those jumps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 MUSTANG GT350 #1801

new or used? New sounds good to me used you'd have to be careful of what your getting. The 4x4 will be fun to bash with but as a race truck not as much fun being the class of 4x4's is usually a crash fest lol

Senior Member..now yer posting! buttersgt350's Avatar
    Yeah its new, it would be awhile i think before i would race with other people, i would be afraid of crashing everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 MUSTANG GT350 #1801