Hey guys, looking to get some input on possibly going with a zoned setup.

As it stands I have two distinct "trunks" in the HVAC system, the front trunk (basically front room, front bedroom, foyer and front lower bedroom in the future) and the rear trunk (kids bedrooms, main bath, family room, kitchen, master bath, master suite, dining room, laundry room, lower kitchen and utility area), which makes them common-sense to convert into separate "zones", but I figure the master suite and master bath could be damper'd seperately to be a third "zone".

The big issue for this is because the master suite is the only one with a 8" duct and that is because of not only the square footage of the master suite (about 600-650 sq/ft including the heated/cooled closet and master bath), but also because the run length is at least 2x longer than any other run in the house.

Now, the reason to make that a zone by itself is to allow for automatic dampers to redirect more air into the suite as needed. I also like the idea of configuring the electric baseboard heat to be a 2nd stage heating method that can be locked out above a certain temperature outside (which is when the electric would come into play since I already know when it is extremely cold out the furnace heat cannot keep up).

Am I approaching this properly?

I figure if I setup automatic dampers for zone 1 (front trunk) properly and zone 2 (rear trunk minus master suite/bath) as well as zone 3 (master suite/bath) and set the opening/closing points for the dampers properly, once zone 2 heats up (which heats quicker than zone 1 or zone 3) then it will close to a preset "close" point and then force more air into zones 1 and 3, and once they come up to temp they will close to their preset close point (for zone 3 it would be totally closed since the cold air conducted into that trunk is one of the problems with circulating air to that space).

Now, with those setups, what if you have them set to circulate the air via the fans being set "on", I would assume it would leave the zones open? How does that work in regards to needing the shut down a zone to keep it from overheating/overcooling? Or is it only during a call for heat/cooling that it opens the dampers and in fan mode the dampers stay at their "closed" setpoint???

Just looking for how this all gets setup before I decide this is a proper way of approaching the heating issues I have with the master suite... I would really like to heat it with the furnace as much as possible and only use the electric baseboards when temps drop so low I can't keep the heat up (which may not be an issue if the rest of the zones close down enough to force more air into the suite).

I already know how to control the electric baseboards with a 24v contactor, and figure it is just a configuration setting on the thermostat for that zone.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.