Running/hooking up ethernet cable

Does anyone here do this? I am looking to run Ethernet and coax to several rooms in my house. The coax is already there in a few rooms, I'd like to put in wallboxes with wallplates instead of just running it up through a hole in the floor which is how it's run now. I have the wallplates, low voltage wallboxes, and 1000' of ethernet cable. I believe I have everything I need to do this, I just don't know how to do it and be confident it's going to work. I have a panel in my basement that serves as a hub for the ethernet and coax. I'd also like to run phone line, there isn't any in my home. Question, can I run phone jacks right off the Ethernet or is this cable different? I have read some different things saying that you can tap into ethernet for phone lines, if that's the case, great, what kind of jacks do I buy for single line use? Is anyone willing to do this for me? I will pay cash, and I am not in a hurry to get it done. I have the money, and most of the materials I believe I need already. Or I guess the bigger question is, is it even worth running it? My house is only 900sq ft, wireless works everywhere with a gigabit router, which I bought, but have not installed yet. I am looking for advice on where to put that. Currently my router is in my office, on the main level. I'd like to put it near the panel in my basement and run everything from that panel serving as a central hub. The panel is already in place, coax is run everywhere in the basement which is mostly finished, ethernet is already run down there to 3 locations as well. It's the rest of the house that needs to be done.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Dang, wish i was closer i'd do it with you. Honestly its the easiest thing in the world to run, you and a buddy could do it rather easily.

I have the wallplates, low voltage wallboxes, and 1000' of ethernet cable. I believe I have everything I need to do this, I just don't know how to do it and be confident it's going to work.
    So you need a faceplate for each box you’re putting in obviously, you also need the Cat6 or Cat5e jacks.

I have a panel in my basement that serves as a hub for the ethernet and coax.
    As long as you have enough plugs in your router, that should work perfect.

I'd also like to run phone line, there isn't any in my home. Question, can I run phone jacks right off the Ethernet or is this cable different? I have read some different things saying that you can tap into ethernet for phone lines, if that's the case, great, what kind of jacks do I buy for single line use?
    Do not use internet and phone over the same cable. (don’t run one cable and split it up into multiple uses) BUT! You can use the cat6/cat5e cable as phone lines, just run an extra cable for your phone line. Just use the same cat6/cat5e jack on the end, and your RJ11(phone cord) will plug right into the cat6/cat6e jack.

Is anyone willing to do this for me? I will pay cash, and I am not in a hurry to get it done. I have the money, and most of the materials I believe I need already. Or I guess the bigger question is, is it even worth running it?
    If you have stationary machine, xbox, ps3/4, desktop, smart TV, then it is well worth it to wire the device in. Way more reliable and stable connection than wireless.

If you have any more questions let me know. I do this for a living.

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Single story house with a full basement is cake to string cable, especially if you only do interior walls. I prefer to use a dremel tool with a router attachment and a carbide burr to cut the holes in the walls for the boxes.

Keystones and type 110 punchdown is the modern way to go for termination. You can get wallplates with screw terminals but that doesn't actually meet anything more than cat3 and kind-of cat5. Cat6 requirements is a bit tighter (and it's difficult to get less than 1/2" untwisted) but you can easily run gigabit on cat6 cable and cat5 ends. Ideal makes a ratchet telemaster that is worth buying. I prefer Tyco ends but they're hard to find. Wallplates and keystones I like Panduit and Leviton. I'd put a patch panel in the basement as this would make it easy to use each line for analog phone, intercom, ethernet, or video. I tend to prefer Hubbell patch panels but Homaco is OK also.

It's easy to do, especially in a single story house.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Thanks for the advice. I already have a crimping tool, not sure what brand. Ive got the keystone jacks and the faceplates for them already. Here are a few issues. The house isn't a single story, it's like 1.5. I have an upstairs bedroom I'd like to run at least ethernet to, probably phone too. I don't see a great way to get it up there unless I run the cable next to a heat duct that I have semi-access too. I've got access to a fish tape where I work, haven't really tried to get cable up there yet. I already have the patch panel in the basement, it's not a hubble, I got it at menards. I have an ethernet switch that isn't installed, which I plan on using as the hub for the cables, and I've got a power outlet mounted inside that panel for power for the router. It's the only thing on that circuit other than a simple porcelain light fixture in the panel room. I already have all the coax run itno that panel, and run through out the house except right now it runs up through holes in the floor in my office and living room. I obviously want to have that in a wall plate. I also have a 25' hdmi cable run from my office, to the living room through the same floor, I've got my computer hooked to my stereo and tv. Is it worth running that hdmi in the wall too? Be nice for the next homeowner I guess, why wouldn't you do it right? The upstairs is going to be the challenging part as I said I don't see a real great way to get the ethernet up there without cutting a hole in the wall somewhere to find it. I haven't tried using that crimp tool yet, it looks fairly simple. The keystones seem to be color coded for the wires and it looks like it fits right into that tool. I just dont want to run all that wire and not have it work for some reason. I will leave plenty of extra wire in case I need to cut and recrimp. Is it worth running speaker wire up there too? I ran a 7.1 speaker wire system in my basement before I finished the walls, so I've got speaker terminals all over the place in the main room. I also had an electrician friend wire the ethernet to 3 different ports down there. He isn't able to help with this project however.

I also am looking at having someone rewire my entire house, new panel, upgrade service, etc. I have a rats nest of junction boxes in the basement ceiling, I know there are at least 10 in the one room alone. I have no clue where any of them go, what's on what circuit, etc. How exactly do you rewire the entire house? It really should be done, I haven't had any issues blowing breakers, just every now and then in my kitchen. I also have an issue in my garage I believe. I have what looks to be 12/2 wire with ground. All the outlets test grounded, but there are some 15 amp and some 20 amp outlets in place. How do I figure out which outlets are correct? They are clearly on the same circuit, with who knows what else, I believe there are about 8-9 outlets in the garage alone.

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    Is the basement open or have access from main panel to locations u wan to run cables? I work for cable company I can lend a hand with running stuff been doin it for 10yrs

Yeah, I did this in my place... Took a good 3-4 months working on it when times allowed... I have a two-story, and over half the basement is finished so running cables absoloutly sucked for some spots and were just impossible in a few others... In the impossible areas I already had coax ran, so I just used some HCNA coax to ethernet adapters... they max out at around 187mbps, but with dual 100mbit ethernet jacks on each adapter it works out pretty well... Definitely enough to stream 1080p movies and do internet stuff...