Topsoil/Subsoil/compost/sand- yikes

I have a low piece of property that needs a lift in several areas. Drainage is a concern in some areas, others not so much.

I'd go broke if I brought in enough topsoil to fill all this up, looking for alternatives online and found lots of "opinions". Some say that low spots (one of mine in particular is probably a solid 12" low and drainage is a concern" can be filled with several inches of sand to take up space and improve drainage then put your desired flavor of dirt over then seed. I've also seen people mention a cheaper alternative which doesn't drain as well is to use clean fill/subsoil and put a healthy layer of finished compost on top for organic matter then seed. I have a nearly unlimited amount of finished compost available for next to nothing through my township and would like to utilize that if possible.

Before people start accusing me, I'll repeat, I'm not trying to be a tightwad and understand some of these methods might not be top notch. If it was as simple as bringing in a couple loads of topsoil and working it in, I'd be all over it... but bringing in enough topsoil to straighten this all out would put me in the poor house.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    JLP
    79 Monte
    406/2004R/Phord 9"

If there is any construction going on in your area you could talk to the contractor, maybe they would be willing to dump fill there rather than hauling it a greater distance.
    Then order topsoil for a 3-4" cover over the top of that.
    1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build

Quote Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
    If there is any construction going on in your area you could talk to the contractor, maybe they would be willing to dump fill there rather than hauling it a greater distance.
    Then order topsoil for a 3-4" cover over the top of that.
    This.

Now if you plan to build on this soil, that is a different situation. It needs to be compacted.

I got a crap load of clean fill free from Brennan landscaping in Tosa several years ago to fill in an in ground pool. Give them a call in spring they always need a place to get rid of it.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

Good idea. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled this spring for clean fill as a base and will put a couple inch thick skimcoat of topsoil over it all.

Thanks.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    JLP
    79 Monte
    406/2004R/Phord 9"