Since we are sharing home projects...

Here is my recently half-completely dvd storage shelving in my man cave. I still need to trim it out, but I can't do that until the floor is done this spring. At last count I had 1266 dvds, blu-rays, etc. There are 5 openings total, 4 of them are equal, the center is a little narrower. Each one has adjustable shelving just like a real book-case. I bought a jig from rockler.com to drill all the pin holes symmetrically in the uprights, worked perfect.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Holy crap that's alotta movies

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    I thought I had a lot with use about 380, guess not

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    Since I am not a homeowner yet, I do all of my projects on my mothers house. My latest endeavor is to replace all of her interior doors. She has a ranch style home with shitty hollow type doors. I am going through and replacing them all with 6 panel oak doors with colonial style trim. Just completed the first one today:

The other two doors you see in the picture are on order because they are oddball sizes.
    Last edited by 88Nightmare; 01-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare View Post
    Since I am not a homeowner yet, I do all of my projects on my mothers house. My latest endeavor is to replace all of her interior doors. She has a ranch style home with shitty hollow type doors. I am going through and replacing them all with 6 panel oak doors with colonial style trim. Just completed the first one today:

The other two doors you see in the picture are on order because they are oddball sizes.
    If you catch Menards on sale they are affordable. I think the most expensive one I bought was $90. Most of them were $65. I've been replacing all of my hollow doors with the same solid/engineered red oak doors. I've been doing slabs though, I don't like the cardboard jambs.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I've been getting them from Menards
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

All I have to say, since I haven't gotten into the major interior (re)construction phase yet, is that Menards f-ing ROCKS!

I have saved sooooo much money on stuff compared to even ordering online it isn't even funny. From electrical to HVAC to construction materials they have a great selection and the prices are unreal compared to what you find elsewhere.

I'm slightly irritated with Menards that I had to "special order" a door that should have been in normal stock
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    If you think menards is good, find a way to buy through contractors and supply houses. I won't even buy landscaping supplies from big boxes anymore. Only direct from landscape contractors. Better product, will discount when you buy volume and usually better prices. Places like Lentz in Caledonia sell stone, mulch, pavers, field stone WAY cheaper than a Menards. I agree electrical and hvac stuff is priced good at Menards but lumber IMO is a lower grade at Menards. 2x4s always look like a corkscrew
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    If you think menards is good, find a way to buy through contractors and supply houses. I won't even buy landscaping supplies from big boxes anymore. Only direct from landscape contractors. Better product, will discount when you buy volume and usually better prices. Places like Lentz in Caledonia sell stone, mulch, pavers, field stone WAY cheaper than a Menards. I agree electrical and hvac stuff is priced good at Menards but lumber IMO is a lower grade at Menards. 2x4s always look like a corkscrew
    Agreed!

Yeah, I have heard that as well, that a lot of "contractor" landscaping and construction products you need to find a local distributor and buy through them...

For electrical and HVAC it seems that local distributors are price-rapists (probably based on the fact that contractors just markup the already inflated prices and pass that on to the customer, and yes, I know that it costs to be a distributor, but a lot of the prices are outrageous), I mean standard motors, contactors, capacitors, switches and the like are all UBER expensive from local supply houses, even with "licensed contractor"-agreement discounts they are more expensive than what can be found from national suppliers by A LOT! I would have no problem buying locally if it were a reasonable amount over those prices, but at 2-3x the online price it is insane. Hell the blower for my air handler was $180 from amazon, locally I found only one places and they wanted $410 for it... The closest locally for a "universal" replacement was $245 and online it was $110 online shipped for the same. Same thing with electrical products, such as switch plates... Even online they are like $8-12 PER PLATE! Menards, $1.47 for the same product...

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Depending on the part you are looking for, Auer Steel has everything you would need. There is one in Waukesha. They supply to the contractors and usually you need to be one to buy from them but sometimes they will sell to you, just have to ask. I know the one by me will and their prices are pre-mark up. Things like furnace filters are much nicer quality than you can find at a big box too. Lowes wanted $47 for my furnace filter, Auer: $13.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

I did all of our interior doors last spring through summer. Six panel oak vaneered solid slabs, on sale at Menards for IIRC $70 apiece. Huge improvement over hollow core standard doors. Also working with a wood chisel was kind of fun. Getting the right stain to match was the only pain, plan to re-do the first two doors due to not getting the right match off the bat .
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    i dont pay retail for shit....

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    i dont pay retail for shit....
    So you end up with cold diarrhea?
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.