Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Well, the timing set and headgasket snowballed into:

- All new brakes (rotors/loaded calipers/drums/shoes/hardware kit) all Raybestos Professional stuff
    - New rear wheel hubs, Raybestos professional again
    - All new struts, Monroe Quick-Struts which include the struts (Monroe OESpectrum or SensaTrac), springs, bearings, mounts, etc all ready to install as one assembly
    - All new front suspension components using Deeza Premium parts (lower balljoints, inner/outer tire-rod ends, stabilizer bar end-links)
    - New Airtex fuel pump

Basically since just about everything in the suspension/steering outside of front wheel hubs/bearings and control arm bushings is being replaced.

Since the car wasn't driven much because of the other issues, once I was driving it I noticed a lot of problems, such as braking issues, a leaking set of front struts, brake rotors that were just eaten by the salt-mix used this winter, rear drums that scrapped when actuated, etc... In checking everything out I noticed a bad inner tie-rod end on one side, a clunking over certain bumps in the front, which could be the struts, but since everything is so inexpensive it just makes sense to replace everything within reason.

Then I found that the fuel pump no longer holds pressure when the car is off (bad internal valve) and then found that there is a dead-spot on the fuel pump where if it stops on that spot it won't spin up (open and close a door and the shock allows the pump to spinup). So that was needed as well.

Between RockAuto and Amazon Prime, with Just Suspension and Advance Auto used with coupon codes I pretty much got costs down to as low as possible. Hell Amazon had one of the front loaded calipers for only $18 compared to $56 for the same on RockAuto.

The big issue with RockAuto is the multiple shipping charges from various warehouses. I could have scored some TRW closeout outer tie rod ends (originally $36 on RockAuto) for $7 each, but the extra shipping killed it... For only $3 more I kept everything Deeza.

So, when all is said and done I will have about $1375 or so into redoing everything. Not so bad overall considering I was quoted $1400 for just changing the timing set from a Nissan dealership. I still need to get an alignment done when I am finished, but overall it will almost be a new car in regards to running gear...

Post whore
    GOD DAMN MAN! That's a lot of parts for that car. I posted about that TSB for the fuel pump on the first page. GL with her and it should be like a brand new car now with all of those new parts. Lol

Well, after receiving a DOA Airtex fuel pump (wouldn't produce more than 10psi pressure), I used the online chat with Amazon.com and they overnighted me another Airtex pump. The DOA one had an obviously aftermarket casting for the case, an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, metal aftermarket temp sensor and an aftermarket pump. The replacement was an actual Nissan part with the Nissan logo cast into the top and bottoms of the case, OEM regulator, OEM temp sensor and Bosch pump.

So, that begs the question, was the first a aftermarket "fake" put into an Airtex box and returned and then resold?

I thought the Airtex pumps were supposed to be the OEM units, that is why I went with it.

Regardless, the second pump worked great, the car starts immediately upon key start so it obviously holds pressure well while off.

I gave in and ordered up new front wheel bearings and hubs to complete everything. I also was double-checking the parts and the Raybestos brake pads that come with their PG line loaded calipers are semi-metallics, where-as the stock ones were ceramic, so I ended up picking up some Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramics for the front. They are currently running a $15 rebate per axle, and with the 30% off code for Advance Auto Parts it brings the cost for the ceramic pads to only $11. Considering the loaded calipers from Raybestos were a $2 difference compared to unloaded calipers it isn't bad.

Now I just need to clear up 6 or 7 boxes of extra car parts from the old garage and I can get started on redoing the Sentra. I really only need to go through a couple to find the rest of my balljoint press pieces. I had them out doing a last minute project for a friend just before the move and by the time I started moving things my toolchest with the balljoint kit case was already moved over.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    You do know this is all for a Sentra right?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Of course it is... The Sentra is our most fuel efficient vehicle, it gets more use on a regular basis than any of the other vehicles, thus it is depended on more than they are, so why wouldn't I put decent parts in it?

Oh, that's right... Trolling again I see...

For a car that had nothing but minimal maintenance for the first 8 years of it's life and has been paid off for at least 5 years, to spend $1400 on it all at once to completely redo it isn't bad at all... If I get another 8 years out of it (which is more like us getting 2-3 out of it and one of the kids getting it as their "first car" after that) it is more than worthwhile.

Well, the Sentra is done. Got it aligned this morning (the toe was the only thing out on it after all the new stuff) and I had to have the wheels rebalanced (seems they all were out quite a bit, very strange how the ride was perfectly smooth at all speeds before all the new parts and it was glaringly obvious how bad the balance was on all the wheels once I got everything done...

Brakes are so good you can lock them up on dry pavement (including the rear drum brakes with just the emergency brake handle). Had to instruct the wife to make sure she uses even and smooth pedal pressure and to not just jam on them, especially in wet conditions.

I also took the time to do a motor flush (for only 600 mile oil it came out pretty dark, but that just means it is that much cleaner internally), as well as a drain and fill on the transmission fluid using Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I guess a lot of Nissan dealerships use it as a "better" replacement for Matic-D fluid. The fluid came out a darker red, not the bright color of new fluid, but at 85k miles it didn't smell burned and I didn't notice any material in the fluid, so I am planning on doing another drain and fill in about 2-3 weeks, since only 4 of the 8 quarts of fluid comes out per drain and dropping the pan or even a full flush are not advised on these transmissions. Just drain and fill.

I also noticed a little ATF in the power steering boot that had the bad tie-rod end in it. Don't know if that was a coincidence, but I drained about half the power steering resevoir of fluid and put in Lucas power-steering stop-leak as a preventative measure. Never really noticed any fluid loss as far as resevoir levels go, but hopefully this is a "quick-fix".

In the end the motor keeps running better and better. When I was done with the timing set and headgasket it ran better than before, but still had some weird lope to it and some valve-train tapping as well as fuel injector clicking. I used some Seafoam after the timing set and it did a good job of smoothing things out. After I did the motor flush today and once I had it filled back up and back on the road there is no valve-train noise at all. Still some fuel injector clicking, but I am going to try a bottle of Regain fuel system cleaner, which I have been told works wonders to get rid of noisy injector ticking. The smoothness of the motor is way better throughout the powerband as well. I am up to about 32mpg on the highway and around 26-28mpg with city driving. That is one heck of an improvement from <21mpg back in December before everything went to hell.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Nissan is going to send you a cute bowling trophy for your mantle for performing more maintenance to a Sentra than anyone has ever done
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed