Anyone use a Honeywell IAQ HD thermostat?

Hey guys, anyone have or know how well the Honeywell IAQ thermostat setups work?

I like the fact they will link to a Econnect thermostat for controlling baseboard heaters. That coupled with the three programmable user-relays seems like it will be a perfect fit for me since I not only have to use the baseboard heaters in the master suite, but I also want to automatically control a custom set of relays for air circulation. I already have a circuit designed and all the parts to add it to my current setup, but the Honeywell would make it more 'integrated'... and the reminders for the electronic air cleaner maintenance (pre-filter and cell cleaning, post-filter replacement, etc) is a really nice touch. I also like the idea that it can tell me if there is a problem with the system before I end up with a complete failure.

Along with the blower motor change (from a 1/3hp shaded-poled to a 1/3hp PSC) I also am replacing the gas valve, 3-wire pilot, igniter element, igniter module, hi-tension lead and even the main controller since everything is original from 1989. I figure 24 years is a good run and I might as well replace all the usual suspects before something fails. I already suspect the gas valve pressure switch, and it ratchets instead of positively clicking for actuating the main gas valve. I ended up going with a 36C94-303 latest model gas valve that eliminates the potential gas leak around the blue on/off valvestem my current model can develop. I primarily started looking into doing the gas valve since the igniter has also sparked the pilot well into the main burners running. It looks like there is an internal pressure switch on the gas valve that is supposed to drop-out once the main gas valve actuates (which I may be wrong about, but I wouldn't imagine that Carrier would want the spark arcing until the duty cycle of the igniter shuts it off, unless they want that to prevent blow-outs upon main burner ignition). If the pressure switch is supposed to stay active through the main burn ignition than I would imagine they should have an internal diode to not back-feed the hold voltage to the igniter. In either case either the switch is bad, or the diode is burned out, thus necessitating the replacement of the gas valve. In any case if there is no diode or the switch is supposed to stay active I have come up with a circuit change that puts the 3-way pilot on the outlet of the pressure switch instead of the hold wiring being wyed for it, which allows for the igniter to shut off once the main gas valve is commanded to open. So I will figure that all out once I put the new gas valve in next week, but for now I at least know my existing setup won't burn out the igniter.

I figure with all the furnace upgrades I should be set for quite some time (hopefully another 24 years) before having to worry about dealing with issues with the furnace.

Feedback on the Honeywell IAQ HD would be greatly appreciated since I would like to be done with the HVAC setup and that is one of the last pieces of the puzzle.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    You could have just said this:

Quote Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast View Post
    Hey guys, anyone have or know how well the Honeywell IAQ thermostat setups work?

Feedback on the Honeywell IAQ HD would be greatly appreciated since I would like to be done with the HVAC setup and that is one of the last pieces of the puzzle.
    And yes, they are a very nice t-stat.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    You can replace all the parts you want. But as soon as your heat exchanger takes a shit and its not made anymore you're SOL. Good luck with 24 years....

And don't forget,
    On that T-stat, Honeywell voids warranty and customer service help if not installed by a licensed contractor.

Thanks for the feedback. I have downloaded the simulator (which includes the install-mode settings) and I like the vent control stuff, but I am disappointed that they don't have more programming options for the user-interface relays. I am still pretty much stuck adding-in the functionality I want with my own circuitry, which is fine.

Oh, and I didn't mention the heat exchanger stuff, since I already have 4 new cells sitting in boxes. The existing installed cells are the coated ones and in perfect shape (basically looks like a 2-3 year old furnace at 24 years, ie pretty excellent shape), and a buddy of mine, whose parents owned a HVAC place in Ohio that shut-down when his father retired, had a full set of cells and burners (I am really thankful this is such a popular design) which I got for a song shortly after buying the house. So, unless the rest of it rusts out completely (and with the controlled environment I can't see that happening), I am pretty well set for a long time... Also forgot to mention I also replaced the transformer with a new one...

and I know all about Honeywell and their "contractor grade" equipment. They won't give customer service, but I *can* get it replaced if defective under warranty. They have to prove it was installer error to deny that. And more times than not it is something obvious (like the touchscreen not responding, or it goes out, or the wireless link stuff doesn't work, etc)... I mean how do they deal with it when a contractor goes under? Tell the end user they are SOL? That is inviting a lawsuit. Now that doesn't change the fact that you could be without HVAC until you ship a part back to them and they ship to you, but buying spare parts isn't a bad thing either, especially for a system this complex.

Not trying to be cocky or anything, but I find protectionist practices to keep profit margins in contractors pockets to be a joke. If someone is more than qualified to deal with a piece of technology (sorry, I have designed, written and implemented systems 1000x more complex) to say they aren't "allowed" because they aren't "in the industry" it is laughable. What if everything was that way in the automotive industry? We wouldn't have an automotive aftermarket. Automotive dealers almost ALL suck universally, yet they are the "qualified" ones that screw up all the time. There are good techs, but good dealers? Not many. I would hope the HVAC industry has more good dealers AND good techs. But I don't want to waste my money on something I can handle just fine.

Thanks for the input... I am going to go with the latest setup along with an EConnect baseboard heater thermo for the master suite and just use my cellphone to control everything instead of the personal remote control. I may add the personal remote control in the future just for the remote thermostat aspect, but for now I have a pretty good gameplan.

Quote Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast View Post

Not trying to be cocky or anything, but I find protectionist practices to keep profit margins in contractors pockets to be a joke. If someone is more than qualified to deal with a piece of technology (sorry, I have designed, written and implemented systems 1000x more complex) to say they aren't "allowed" because they aren't "in the industry" it is laughable. What if everything was that way in the automotive industry? We wouldn't have an automotive aftermarket. Automotive dealers almost ALL suck universally, yet they are the "qualified" ones that screw up all the time. There are good techs, but good dealers? Not many. I would hope the HVAC industry has more good dealers AND good techs. But I don't want to waste my money on something I can handle just fine.
    You have to understand this, just because you may be qualified (but not licensed) doesn't mean everybody is. For ever 1 person that is qualified, there's probably 1,000 who aren't. Now imagine having to answer troubleshooting calls and warranty repair claims from those thousand alone. It's a mess. It's not a way to keep profit margins in contractors pockets. More times than not, the contractor is getting it at a less price than the public, so how is that benefiting the supplier or even the producer? It's a way to try and protect an image and a warranty. I'm not saying all techs are good, but there a better chance they are than letting Jim Bob put in everything you make.

Most of the major HVAC product companies are good. We (HVAC contractor) deal with commercial equipment on a pretty large scale. Most are more than willing to help us out when need be with issues/problems both on our end and theirs. You just have to pick the right vendors as they are the middle man.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    When people install things poorly they point fingers at the product. Happens all the time. And also, a good majority of the public shouldn't touch a thermostat, perform vehicle maintenance, home repairs and so on. But if you are competent enough to handle the repair or install, who really cares about the warranty? A lot of companies try to weasel out of warranty work anyways!

I will say that certain pros are needed for tasks some of us won't touch...like naturally gas work. I personally won't touch it. Might be simple enough to do but not me. I'll just get competitive quotes and pick the best for the job. One thing I learned working in construction is don't be afraid to barter or negotiate with vendors. Feel the price is a little high to run that gas like? Ask for his best cash price or see if he will beat one of his competitor quotes you received. More times than not they will work with you. Large commercial contractors rarely pay the full estimate without negotiation first!
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 12-07-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Lash your the new hvac voice, im retired

LOL !
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    - More naked bitches

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    like naturally gas work.

Your old house hasn't blown up yet has it?

1968 Camaro 383

Quote Originally Posted by awsomeears View Post
    Lash your the new hvac voice, im retired

LOL !
    I'm trying not to be but I couldn't help it.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Nope still standing Mark! Thanks for your help on that
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

haha no problem! I just laughed a little when I saw you type that ad had to say something.
    1968 Camaro 383

Was it schd 80 welded???

lol no. We could have went all out and welded it up haha. I'm sure he wouldn't want me stick welding in his basement though.
    1968 Camaro 383

No unions either. Weld it solid all the way to the regulator in the furnace. Makes it fun for the next guy...

Yeah, considering some of the stuff I have been "thrown into" professionally, making the conscious choice to deal with some of this stuff isn't a big deal. You do have to be quite disciplined, as in no short-cuts, you buy the right parts, the right tools, use the right safety equipment and follow proper "best practices" in regards to not only safety, but also tool use and you end up with a result as good as "the pros"... Now, there is certain things that are "craftsman" jobs, such as sheet-metal work for HVAC... Some of that stuff is all about years of doing it to get clean and proper results that don't look like a third graders first attempt... Same with conduit bending for electricians, lots of years to make it look like it should for some of the complex compound bends... Same goes for welding and beautiful "coins" laid out... If you don't do it everyday as part of your job, then some of that stuff is just better to hire out to get the results you are looking for... Doesn't stop a lot of "hacks" from making stuff and it all looks like ass (regardless if it is functional or not), but I know where *my* limits are...

And, for a lot of this stuff I know it would be cheaper "time-wise" to hire someone and let them do it all. But, for me, I plan on living here long enough, and I feel i have the right equipment for long-term reliable use, so I don't mind investing the time and money to refurbish, design, engineer, fabricate and install everything to make it what I want it to be. Hell, I probably have a few dozen hours into the HVAC system rework, a couple hundred more into the plumbing systems, etc, etc... Not time wasted to me and I definitely saved a ton of cash compared to paying a contractor. Most of my contractor buddies also agree that the work done is at least at a pro-level and probably overkill for the intended purposes, but then again, that is the way I want it.

Hell, the custom fan-controller may be $30-35 down the tubes if it proves to be more of a pain the ass to balance the dampers after I go to that setup (since I already know the "summer" damper settings don't work well for winter and vice-versa) for the low-speed circulation mode (which I will only use in winter, since the high-speed circulation fan works great in summer), I may just say screw it and go back to the current setup...

About the only variable-speed circulation systems I have been able to find are ones with remote-controlled dampers to balance flow at various speeds... I really have no intention of going that far, at least not right now.

I don't mind changing dampers in the fall and in the spring... With the new setup I will have a switch to flip to switch between summer and winter modes when I change the dampers... I could automate it with a "state" relay, but I want to make sure it works as I expect before I go that far...