Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar

For all you Savage lovers out there..............

I built this rifle for my daughter as her first centerfire rifle. It started as a 10FP in 308. It's now a .223 Wylde with a Criterion barrel 1/8, HV 26" (I used the mag parts from a .223 Stevens that I had converted to .243). NSS barrel nut and recoil lug, Stockade Woodchuck stock (painted with textured "stone" paint), Pillar bedded, Leoupy 3.5x10 on a 20 MOA base, Harris 6-9 and I worked the Accu Trigger down a little bit. All done by me, this is the 5th Savage bolt gun I've built. These things are like Legos. I've done tons of ARs and AKs, but I'm a bolt gun guy at heart. I built this rifle to be as heavy as I could and it shoots like a .22 which is what I was looking for. I may add some lead to the front of the stock before I let her shoot it.

I used some of the "pet loads" from my Service Rifle AR for break in at McMiller's last week and had some great results. It shot 69gr SMKs with R-15 consistently under an inch, 52gr SMKs with TAC were about the same at 100. More consistent with the 69s, but the best groups at 100 and 300 were both with the 52's in the .3MOA range from a rest and rear bag. Not bad I'd say! With a little load development this thing will shoot, that's for sure.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nice, cant go wrong with the barrel nut brand, they just group so nice.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

I love my off the shelf savage 30-06 bolt only thing I would like to change is a stock with the removable box mag I have 3 deer kills in 2 years with it
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    Every Savage I have owned has either come a nail driver or with ease been turned into one. Nice gun
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

The new savage BMag is the first one for me. Very happy with the performance so far. I will know more in spring when I head west for the PD hunt. I want to see how it compares to the 5mm Remington Mag.

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Some paint on it.