Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by awsomeears View Post
    There are SBP ( small by-pass ) LBP ( large by-pass ) and Fan Power

Choosing one all depends on the Furnace for ideal operation, if your furnace is a single stage a by-pass is great, if your furnace is 2-stage you WILL FOR SURE need a power assist. When I say power assist I mean there is actually a miniature fan blowing/forcing the humidity into the duct work system. Two stage furnace usually run on low stage 80% of the heating season and they just don't have the CFM are movement to pull proper air across the humidifier pad that is Moist, hahahaha moist !!!

I have installed Aprilaire, Honeywell, Bryant, Brauburn.

Hands down Aprilaire is the Best, not only is it the best but there all priced the same so choose the aprilaire.

Also there is Manual option and Automatic option, manual means as the temperature changes outside you must walk to the control that is mounted downstairs and adjust it, Automatic is just that, you set it once ehhh possibly twice if your totally new to it and you leave it alone for how ever many years your in the home.

Automatic versions have a sensor that you place outside, the sensor takes a temperature sends it to the control, control does a % calculation and determines what ideal for the setting of where you want it.

I will just Quote this guy, ohh wait that was me, I keep things simple.

One note as your talking about steam humidifiers.

Steam humidifiers are the WORST New product out there, my work went through HELL with them, typical fashion we were sold on them by the " Ohhh my Lord its new and cool and technically advanced "

But after 3 years to date of melting Boards, melting plastic ( dry firing ) and constant calls of " my electric bills are very high " we decided to do the Honorable thing and replace everyone that we came across that we installed. There is not ONE company ( maybe I guess ) that would do this, but we are very honorable, we have finally replaced them all with Aprilaire 700A's and everyone is happy !!!

I think we sold around 20-25 total witch is quite a bit as they were not cheap to install...

Yes you read that right, we installed a NEW fancy product and had such a massive FAIL that we felt very responsible for it and corrected it by installing what we enjoy installing because of the High success rate, were talking 12-15grand.... YIKES !!!

The steam humidifier was over engineered similar to somebody's posts
    Last edited by awsomeears; 01-14-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    - More naked bitches

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar

Home humidifier? Pros? Cons? Worth it??

Hey! We replace shit for free all the time! We must work at the same place!

Which make/model steam humidifiers?

They serve a purpose for large single zone areas. But you usually have to get a pretty high end unit and install it a little bit downstream of the furnace. I suppose even then its not guaranteed. But I'm not sure much is in this industry anymore.
    Last edited by Lash; 01-14-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Yeah, that is why I mentioned that every single residential steam unit on the market has dismal reviews... They all seem to fail and even if the element and circuit boards and solenoid valves survive, the cases themselves are destroyed... That and the electrical cost to operate was why they weren't even in the running as an option...

Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    Hey! We replace shit for free all the time! We must work at the same place!

Which make/model steam humidifiers?

They serve a purpose for large single zone areas. But you usually have to get a pretty high end unit and install it a little bit downstream of the furnace. I suppose even then its not guaranteed. But I'm not sure much is in this industry anymore.
    Honeywell True steam...

The lower portion where the water would store would over heat causing the plastic to discolor, even into a few months of use the Scale would be so thick it would be hard to chip off, there THOUGHT was to slam COLD water in there and heat up the Element and blast all the calcium off and just like MAGIC wash all of it down the drain.

I have really good patients with HVAC as you just have to but these I gave up on, called my boss and told him these are Junk and we need to do something about it.

On big stuff I could see steam is needed as the Volume just demands it and steam has to be the answer
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

- More naked bitches

The Honeywell HE300 is installed and operating. I am running it off a simple SPST dial humidistat for now, but am looking to go with the Prestige HD 2.0 setup soon.

I pulled one of the ducts off the top of the plenum and used an inspection camera and recorded the inside of the supply plenum above the a-coil. It looked like there would be plenty of space at the end of the a-coil and I verified it with a 3/4' pipe insulation "noodle" since the diameter of it is exactly the same as the depth of the HE300 in-plenum. Worked out great, so I was happy I had the exact mounting location I wanted, because if it didn't the only other location was where I wanted to put a removeable wall when I remodel the utility area. This way the wall can go where I want it to without needing to have a cutout for the humidifier.

The install wasn't a big deal, and the plumbing and everything else was straightforward. I tee'd into the condensate drain line for the a-coil, since they are both 1/2" vinyl drain line and since only one or the other will be operating at a given time with neither running simultaneously. I used a simple saddle-valve for now, but I plan on draining and flushing the water heaters in spring (yearly maintenance) so I will swap out the saddle valve for a sweated in-place regular valve at that time. I already have the valve and tee to install it so the saddle valve should be fine until then.

I will say the lack of proper clips to affix 1/4" water line at the big hardware stores is amazing... I ended up using coax-cable retainers since they are self-adjusting and include the screws to mount them.

I was considering putting in copper water line instead of the supplied plastic, but I figure by the time I need to replace the humidifier will be about the same time to replace the water line and I will evaluate it at that time.

Oh, and the duct-sealed filling on the lower casing works like a charm to funnel water to the drain.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Was it the brush on sealer in the buckett?

If it was, the water based stuff can wash away and collect mold. Oil base is better anytime moisture is involved, but your typical hardware store doesn't carry that.

Actually I used the Gardner-Bender putty-like stuff that comes in a 1lb pug. I used just over a pug and a half. It stays pliable and doesn't dry out/shrink.

System has been in use since yesterday and we already have an almost 10% increase in humidity... You can tell a difference in the air already in the house. When petting the dog you don't get static buildup anymore. Loving it.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Just make sure you adjust as necessary with the outside temp. Your windows will frost and freeze up in no time!
    1968 Camaro 383

Typically 29-30% is optimal for the temps we've been having. Anything higher and you risk condensation issues.

Yeah, that is why I am really wanting to go with the Prestige system... It has all the humidity vs outside temp management stuff built in... If I can't get a complete system at a decent enough price I will go with a IAQ humidity standalone with an outside sensor for like $50 or so, since that will also do that management. The Prestige would just be a more integrated and complete solution.

I have an Infinity thermostat which could control everything but I decided to go with the manual route for now. Some day I might hook it up but I don't mind running down to the basement to change it.
    1968 Camaro 383

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    I have an Infinity thermostat which could control everything but I decided to go with the manual route for now. Some day I might hook it up but I don't mind running down to the basement to change it.
    Then you have a carrier system ?

upper left hand corner button if pressed once will tell you the indoor humidity.
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

- More naked bitches

yep, and I know how the thermostat works lol.
    1968 Camaro 383

Well, after a few days and the humidity being where it *should* be, I have dropped the thermostat to 68 from 70 and no-one is complaining... I will give it a few more days, but hopefully it will end up saving us some money...

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    yep, and I know how the thermostat works lol.
    Well well well, actually I have yet to find a customer that knew that, I should have known.... you do know how to check your fault codes and change the CFM via that stat right ?
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

- More naked bitches

As a FYI to anyone that might be installing their own unit(s), turns out there is a great alternative to the Honeywell 50027910-001 Differential Pressure Switch, and that is the Lefoo LF32-02 20-200Pa differential pressure switch. It is available from Amazon.com for $16.99 instead of $40-54 for the Honeywell switch. And before anyone says anything about the Honeywell being "American Made" vs the Chinese Lefoo, Lefoo OEMs the Honeywell switch for Honeywell. So essentially you are buying from the same company, just cutting out the middleman (Honeywell).

Trust me, I do like the fact that Honeywell makes a ton of stuff in the USA. But, just like any big company it just makes sense to source certain things from overseas manufacturers, and the pressure differential switches are one of those items.

BTW, the only difference in switches is the Honeywell actuates at 10Pa (.04"WC) compared to the adjustable 20-200Pa Lefoo. Either one will work just fine for air proving in a residential HVAC system. Just be sure to hookup both the supply and return plenums to the negative and positive pressure ports respectively, especially if you have a low speed or variable speed blower.

I will also add that the Lefoo includes nice air-supply nipples and screws for mounting to the plenums, as well as 1/4" vinyl supply line. The air nipples do not include washers or grommets as all you need is a 1/4" hole in the plenum itself and then you use silicon to seal the nipple to the plenum as the nipples have raised lips to allow for extra silicon in the gap for normal expansion/contraction to keep the nipple sealed long-term. The Honeywell only supplies grommets and elbows and line in comparison, so the Lefoo setup is a much nicer kit overall, IMHO. I also like the idea of only 1/4" holes vs 3/4" holes in the plenums.

Quote Originally Posted by awsomeears View Post
    Well well well, actually I have yet to find a customer that knew that, I should have known.... you do know how to check your fault codes and change the CFM via that stat right ?
    lol yeah sorry I wasn't trying to sound like a dick haha. Yeah I know how to get into the service menu and all of that. My dad is a Carrier service tech :p
    1968 Camaro 383

If your dad is a service tech, what the hell happened to you?!?

I'm doing pretty well that's what happened to me lol. He is the one that told me to get into the union side of it.
    1968 Camaro 383

Our furnace grave yard is 90% carriers/bryants... its crazy how many are failing past 18+ years, ask him if he has seen a up tick on secondary heat exchangers plugging up. Unless he is in commercial, commercial the ones I have worked on are very well built
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

- More naked bitches