Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ack... This again... I am detailed because I am detailed... I do it with everything... Doesn't matter if it is cars, or the house, or the kids, or work, etc...

Not trying to brag at all... Someone asked if it was a 15k sq/ft house, I just clarified it isn't anywhere near that... I go into detail because I find it relevant... Why is it that if you mention the way something is, people take it as bragging?

If that was the case then people shouldn't mention they can produce XXXhp with their car, or they got such and such an ET at the track, or that they bought a new car, or they had a child (since that is bragging to those that unable to have kids), or that someone landed a new job, etc, etc...

I consider bragging to be when people gloat over something and make critical commentary to put others down in comparison... I don't do that... None of my posts have ever done that...

Anyways, here are pics of the panels, since they are relevant to the thread:

Optimized-20131117_172307.jpg
    Optimized-20131117_172338.jpg
    Optimized-20131117_172350.jpg

I still have to get some 14awg wire and wire between the panels and convert the lower left GFCI outlet to a 240v outlet for the central vacuum. It is currently hard-wired, but I would prefer it to be a plug-in unit. As it is it is wired through the "pool vacuum" timer box for convenience. It is wired with 12-gauge wire and to a 15-amp 240v breakers, with a strain-relief on the wire into the box, so it is all done properly for a hard-wired setup, so I may just leave it as well.

Based on the commentary, I don't know if pics of the house would be appreciated...

But if pics are wanted, I will post them...

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast View Post
    I go into detail because I find it relevant... Why is it that if you mention the way something is, people take it as bragging?

I consider bragging to be when people gloat over something and make critical commentary to put others down in comparison... I don't do that... None of my posts have ever done that...
    I just happen to mention to everyone that I qualified for Nationals in Cross Country my freshman year of college, graduated magna cum laude, could still dunk a basketball after my first knee reconstruction, and have flown 30 hours solo....

...not to compare to anyone. Just because I find it relevant.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Wow... I guess I am finding that a few of you guys must really be butt-hurt over things to be acting like such knobs...

If it is because I bought a nice house for my family (for which I will add there is 8 occupants, not just a family of 3 or 4, but 8), it wasn't done as a "one-up" on anyone...

Or, is it because I also built probably one of the nicest and most complete Trans-Ams??? I was getting this same amount of butt-hurt stupidity on my car because I spent my money and my time doing EVERYTHING but the interior myself. And the kicker was I didn't build it to compete, I built it because I wanted it that way. I got all this ignorance at the same level on that because I wouldn't give people the satisfaction of racing them. It is my choice not to race, not anyone elses. Same with this, I bought MY home for MY family. There is no competition or anything else involved. If there was, I would have gone for nothing but tons of land and square footage and some ritzy location for the house. As it is I got a very well built house, in a great neighborhood that is close to the schools I want for my children. How is that bragging???

I notice the same chuckleheads start this stupidity because I make complete posts. Sorry if more thought goes into any-one of my various projects than just about anything that matters to some of you. If you read my posts, I post about issues or situations that have merit for others to possibly get something out of. It is not bragging, it is stating facts. How the hell is talking about going through the electrical in your house bragging??? If it is because of the sheer scope, considering all the electrical in this place, then that shows even MORE why there is so much detail given. I have seen friends do less than a 10th of what I have and consider that project a big undertaking. Hell, EVERYTHING about this place is usually a bigger PITA than most anyone I knows homes from many perspectives, not just size, but also construction details, be it good or bad. Yet, because I bought a bigger house than most, none of it has merit???

C'mon, it is obvious there is a LOT of jealous stupidity here. Mostly from a couple of you guys, and it is far from the first time I got it from either of you. You seem to hate the fact that I do well for myself, ignore the fact that I put more time/money/energy and effort into any of my endeavors than probably what you have, and only try to poke jabs because someone accomplishes something. Lets see either of your vehicles that you have spent anywhere near what I have on (and I am not talking money, since I do 98% of my own work on EVERYTHING, so no, no deep pockets here that pays someone else for what I have, I actually accomplish most of what I have based on sweat-equity) and if you even put 1/3 of what I have into mine they would be some of the nicest cars on the road. As it is, if you notice, I don't talk about cars much on here, since I learned a long time ago that this type of stupidity would run rampant if I did. And hell, that is the funniest part of this, in that I HELP damn near anyone and everyone I can, all the time. If I was such a conceited jerk, I WOULDN'T BE POSTING AT ALL, let alone helping anyone on anything.

So, to jbiscuit and Prince Valiant, man-up, get a pair and stop the stupidity attacks because you feel inadequate. That isn't my point here, yet you both ALWAYS go there. If you have an inferiority complex, grow up. Do for yourself and be happy with what you accomplish. Not everyone is trying to "measure up". I would hope everyone would be proud of their home, especially if they put as much time and energy into it as I have, regardless of size/design/location. If your still upset I built the T/A, get over it, as I don't even have enough time to drive it hardly at all. I honestly don't know where either of you get off being salty about anything since I have been nothing but nice and civil to either of you. (and political discussions don't count, since that is as bad as getting people to agree on religion)

Hell, with most that have an issue with me, I don't know where the hell it comes from since I am one of the least confrontational people going and don't try to pick fights, ever... Sure, I hate it when people try being bullies and act stupid, who doesn't. I would not consider ANYTHING I do/post/involve myself in to be able to be classified as "stupid" and I am sure most that know me would agree.

PV, what exactly did I provide in this thread that WAS NOT relevant??? I talked about going through the electrical system in detail, and provided details. Someone asked about house size, I provided it. Yet that isn't relevant? Your post is nothing more than a cheap-shot that doesn't even come close to making a point.

Or, should people only post things of as long as they don't look like they have more than someone else??? And, again, please show where I am putting someone else down in ANY of my posts based on what I have???

Jealousy is a ugly bitch when it comes right down to it. Sorry if I have a ton of input on a bunch of subjects, but I bust my ass to do all I do and learn all I do and apply it as much as possible. Wouldn't it be great if everyone did the same instead of bitching and moaning?

Over sharing. Save it for Facebook.
    1970 Chevelle SS
    2013 F150 SC 3.5 TT
    1975 CB400F
    2007 FLHTCU

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Dennis, let me make something clear. I'm not jealous of you or anyone else. I have what I have and thats it. I'll never be rich, never own a 5,000 SF house like you or have 8 muscle cars in my garage. Just reality. But what I do have I am quite proud of. And I think that shows. I too do nearly everything myself. And I like it that way. My little family and I are quite happy. I have a good job, good family, a good house, good neighbors, good neighborhood with lots of car guys...life is good. See how I kept my post to the point with less than 4,500 words? I didn't drop in posts about the SF of my house, the number of bedrooms my home has, and so on? Detail to convey a point is one thing. I too am a detailed person. But being boastful is different. Just sayin.

Carry on
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Jay, congrats on all you have and accomplished... I love how you put the "I am a pauper like mostly everyone else" twist on your post... You just proved my point.

I would hope everyone would have the attitude of, "I can have and accomplish anything I apply myself to" instead.
    Last edited by 95 TA - The Beast; 11-18-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Suggestion: Go through your electrical...

I'd like to see some pics of your place. It sounds like a really nice house. A nice size house on a couple wooded acres is what I would ideally love to have someday. I like looking at other folks houses for two reasons... 1) it's fun for me just like I enjoy looking at the pictures of cars folks post and 2) because in the past from me looking at pictures has given me some pretty sweet ideas of things that I may want to do to our next house. I have a notebook with ideas written down for our next place.

So with that said, post some pics.
    Last edited by Nix; 11-18-2013 at 12:40 PM.

At least your problem is tending toward the overbuilt side.... our house from the 50's has so many boxes overstuffed with wires and circuits added to circuits on only 100 amp service with nary a ground in sight.....and an electric dryer wired directly into the panel :/

I replaced like all 30 of the outlets in my huge mansion with tamper resistant ones. A couple of them crumbled in my hands. Had the pushmatic replaced with a newer panel when I moved in because it was full and the little lady demanded a dishwasher and disposal.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 11-18-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Wow. That electric system is way way over the top. Neat that someone was that particular about it. That said, it's completely over built. A separate circuit for each kitchen outlet is absurd. You can run plenty of small appliances (nesco, mixers and the like) on one 15/20 amp circuit. Additionally, a setup like yours (100's of switches) is going to be very expensive to switch to a Home automation system. Any new high end home built today will include an extensive automation system. Again, an interesting / neat setup but pretty unnecessary and will be difficult going forward. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the input... Yeah the whole home automation thing is a major expense for as much as I would need... Looked into that briefly before doing the updates and considering all the extra modules and such it was definitely out of the budget for not only now but the foresee-able future as well... Honestly, someone is almost always home, so parts of the automation would be wasted...

What I think would be neat would be remote controlled automatic windows shades... Now THAT is something that might be doable in a year or two...

Nix, I will post pics once I am on my main desktop at home... Yeah, we really wanted to buy a house further out with a lot of land, but considering we are only about a mile from where we were at in the apartments and the kids qualified for open-enrollment and were able to stay in their schools, we are pretty happy. The neighbors are all pretty nice, the neighborhood is quiet and we have a fenced in yard for the dog so we consider ourselves pretty fortunate.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    C'mon, it is obvious there is a LOT of jealous stupidity here.
    Dennis, the day I'm jealous of you is the day I jump off the hoan bridge. It just makes me chuckle to think that anyone I know on this site would be jealous of you. Simple as that.

It was like the bizzaro post from before where not only was everyone jealous of you, but all your neighbors were out to get you. Just weird man...tiresome and weird.

The point is simple...quit thinking you can infer what others think or feel. You can't.

Your post should have been "Hey guys!!! go through your electricals! Found a lot of screwed up stuff in mine!" with some elaboration.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

What is the best way to map out the system? Do you literally need to test every single outlet by throwing breakers to see what's connected to what? I know mine is royally screwed up, I don't think anything is correct. For instance, I have 2 gfci outlets in my bathroom, both are on the same circuit. Neither one works correctly in that situation right? That's just the start. I also have several outlets in my attic area that are still only 2 wire with no ground, however there are 3 prong outlets there. What is the best thing to do? I'd like to have the entire house rewired, it's only about 900 sq ft. Any ideas how much this would cost?

PV, that is the kicker, I, nor anyone else, should try to post a certain way to make you feel better about yourself. If you don't have anything positive to add, then don't post, it is that simple. You try to stir up shite all the time, get a life and don't post in my threads, it is that simple. If you have something positive to add, go for it. Other than that you just troll. Do your own thing and don't worry about others, but it is quite obvious you have some sort of problem where you can't help yourself. If you aren't jealous on some level, then why the posts at all??? You really do have a problem. I don't go reading your threads and post stuff, but you seem to do it all the time to me. That is called trolling. The more you do it, the more it shows just how much of a problem you really have. You author things your way, and I will author things my way. And I could care less if you feel inadequate because I post in a way that hurts your feelings. Oh, and for the record, I never said my neighbors were out to get me. I don't know where you get this stupidity. Mentioning someone is being rude is far from being paranoid.

05caddyext, to map things out I used a electric breaker finder, an electrical line toner and the simple throw the breaker methods depending on what I was tracing. The circuit in the bathroom can have both GFCIs working just fine if they are hooked to the circuit individually. If they are slaved one onto the "load" terminals of the other, they can cause a cascading trip, or just cause faulty tripping because you have two inline. If there were the case you could actually replace the slave with a regular outlet and let the GFCI one protect itself and the slave. In regards to the three prong outlets with no ground, I do believe at some point they used the conduit as a ground, so if you have metal conduit running to those outlet boxes that would suffice, but if not then you can replace the 3-prong outlets with 2-prong outlets and not worry about it. No idea on the costs for a rewire...

Oh, I forgot, someone wanted pictures...

ISu0gq93no6nxf.jpg

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Again Dennis you fabricate and twist posts around to back up your own postings and I just don't understand why other than to attempt to "get the last word in" or something. My earlier post that said "I have what I have" was a comment meaning I don't come on here and toot my own horns. Nothing more. Just proof you read into things and twist them.

Go back and read how you word things sometime. I agree with PV that your posts about the neighbor you had issue with was like he was jealous of you and was "out to get you." Basically the same thing you said in here lol! Everyone wants what you have apparently!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    You should get the foundation checked out. Looks a little wet in the corner between the panels. I assume that's where the leak was coming from also.

Jay, the same viewpoint as I expressed to PV applies to you. You don't have to post in my threads. It is that simple. You have an problem, just like PV. Your posts in this thread illustrate that better than anything else.

And to clarify, like I stated before, I never said a neighbor was out to get me, I stated they were being rude... If you don't have an issue, simply stop posting in my threads. If you continue you are just backing up how much of a problem you have. You never needed to state anything you said in this post at all. THAT is the point.

So sad to see people that can't handle when someone has something they don't and all they do is attack them because of it. What is the saying? "Haters be hating"??? If that isn't it, then you have nothing more to say.

Personally, I only reply to my own threads when I feel someone is twisting things out of context because they have a problem. That is exactly what you and PV do, constantly. Obviously no-one else has an issue with me talking about stuff, since you are the only two acting like that. And I can't help but believe this goes back to a long time ago. I would have figured you two would have grown up by now, but I guess people act immature regardless of age. Kinda funny, I have a 13 and a 15 year old and I don't have to teach them about proper social etiquette since they learned that lesson a long time ago. Why haven't both of you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    You should get the foundation checked out. Looks a little wet in the corner between the panels. I assume that's where the leak was coming from also.
    The foundation is solid (double-thick foundation walls), and that discoloration is because the bank didn't keep heat in the place over winter, so with the outside being red brick those outside corners like that ended up getting warmer quicker, thus causing sweating in those corners which showed up as various levels of efflorescence. There is nothing else anywhere else but those outside corners. Actually the opposite northeast corner was the worst with a noticeable buildup on the surface. I still need to finish cleaning the rest of that off before I texture and paint that corner this winter.

With all the rain we had this last spring there was no leaks anywhere. Even that leak I noticed by the conduit (which is on the adjoining wall to the left) wasn't an issue until this fall. And that is definitely taken care of, as it not only passed the rain test, but also a drench test with the hose. You can see where I did the repair in the upper left hand corner of the first picture. The interesting part is where I saw the leak there is no discoloration or evidence of a leak under that area at all. If I wash the walls well you wouldn't even see the efflorescence at all, just that it isn't a priority to do, especially if I end up finishing off the rest of the utility area, since it will all be hidden anyways...

Oh, I forgot, someone wanted pictures...

ISu0gq93no6nxf.jpg
    That doesn't look mansion-esque at all?
    Looks like your average Brookfieldian house to me.
    Lots of people have garages that are bigger than that house.

Dunno why people are so butthurt though, I didn't take it as condescending at all.

He wasn't saying: "haha you fags, LOOK AT THIS SHIT, get on my level you plebs!"
    If you interpreted it as that, well that's on you.

:P
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic