Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dennis vs. the world...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Phew, quite a read. I got lucky, sold my condo with out a agent (by owner) to a buyer with-out a agent. Bought my new house from the Owner.

I find it strange so many use a Agent to buy homes? I can understand getting some one to sell for you. With the power of the internet I did not find it hard to find houses to look at. At the end it was just driving around the neighborhood I wanted that led me to my current house.
    Last edited by CannotPost; 09-11-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Not really. It is just the fact that certain markets, with real-estate being one of the biggest offenders, tend to take advantage of consumers based on the fact that "normal people" don't buy new homes every couple years and with the way home prices are they are now forecasting owning homes for 6-10 years at a minimum, compared to the "boom" where people were doing 3-5 year cycles before "upgrading". They figure with people being rarely "in the market" on either side of the equation that it is "fair" to be outrageous with commissions.

Sorry, but I figure a 3-4% commission split between the buying and selling agents is MORE than fair... You are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars here, not some $30k-50k car. Even with cars the commissions aren't as high as they are in real-estate.

Like I said, after looking at over 70 homes I figure my agent actually earned their commission. Also it was worthwhile based on the price I bought the house for. But, I do believe I had so many problems due to the fact that the agent "pre-judged". I am quite laid-back, but I am very well informed, which comes off as bullshit to a lot of people that figure if you are at that level of of the game you are basically going to be an asshole and look down on everyone else. That is not the case with me. Hell, at closing they was still amazed we were actually closing. Nice part was the loan officer knew me and some of my friends and knew all to well I don't put on a front or bullshit about anything, ever. My agent was actually shocked that everything I told them was actually the way it was and that I knew what I knew.

Like I said, doesn't matter what you are selling, sales is sales... Sales-people always act the same, regardless of the product or service they are selling.

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast View Post
    Hell, at closing they was still amazed we were actually closing. Nice part was the loan officer knew me and some of my friends and knew all to well I don't put on a front or bullshit about anything, ever.

This is the only thing you've posted that doesn't make any sense at all.

1) your agent shouldn't be surprised you're closing if you were ever pre approved

2) your agent would be wasting their time if you didn't come to them pre approved

3) your loan officer knowing you had nothing to do with you getting approved and if you had tried to "bull shit" anything you wouldn't have been approved.

For the sake of anyone that hasn't been through this... None of that matters at all. Carry on.

If you haven't found an agent yet my father in law just got his realtor lisc and is excited to be starting out in real estate. He is retired from west Allis pd and looking for something fun to do, lmk if you want to get in contact w him. He's green, honest, and not out to take advantage of anyone
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Puresound15, no, you misunderstood...

The financial side was never in question. Sorry if I left that impression.

It was more the 'being taken seriously' aspect. Like I mentioned before my agent "acted dumb" on a few things where they obviously thought I did not know what was going on. It was from that perspective that they ended up trying to "take advantage" of the situation and do as little as possible. I just used the loan officer affiliation as kind of the "wow, he wasn't bullshitting about knowing what he knows" aspect.

Seeing over 70 houses with an agent you tend to talk quite a bit about everything. I know that quite a bit of what I talked about wasn't taken seriously. I mean our agent did the whole, "well, this needs to be done and it can be quite expensive", and when I replied that I knew people that did just that and it is not a concern I pretty much got a dumb-founded look like I didn't know what I was talking about. Until I went back to take a second look and brought a friend whose business is just taking care of those kinds of things and then I would get a "oh, so you do know someone to take care of this" kind of reaction.

Again, the agent "sized me up" based upon my soft-approach to things and figured I didn't know what end was up. Most people end up having to pay through the ass for everything home related, and if you get a few people that know how to do things, they a lot of times don't even go with an agent. Being my first home purchase I decided to go the agent route and ran the gamut of bad experiences. Not only the agent I mentioned before, but two other agents that basically either a) didn't want to make time to show homes or b) wasn't motivated to try to find homes that meet our steep criteria, thus I got in the groove of finding the listings and pre-qualifying them to determine if we wanted to take the time to go check them out.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PureSound15 View Post
    1) your agent shouldn't be surprised you're closing if you were ever pre approved

2) your agent would be wasting their time if you didn't come to them pre approved

3) your loan officer knowing you had nothing to do with you getting approved and if you had tried to "bull shit" anything you wouldn't have been approved.

For the sake of anyone that hasn't been through this... None of that matters at all. Carry on.
    You must be part of the illuminati.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I'm thankful I purchased my house from my uncle and also have a land-contract. He gave me a great deal on the house/property and he gets the interest instead of the bank. Also skipped that whole "starter home" step, which was a huge plus after seeing friends and family my age still having troubles selling their "5 year" house for what they originally paid for it.

Less stress and I love where I live. It may not be the fanciest house, but it has everything I need at the moment. A larger second garage would be nice, but I will argue with the Village when I am financially ready to upgrade it.
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

I placed an offer on a duplex in 'stallis.

This whole process has been severely hampered by a bogus bill from Aurora. They charged me for a wide range of services I did not receive. Although my finances are still sound, the bill reduces my reserves.
    ^ I should probably start another thread about this. I'm sure it's going to take a very long time to straighten it out. Keywords: bad faith, conflict of interest.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

Oh yeah, medical bills and old collections are some of the BS that goes with buying a home...

In our case there was an old disputed medical bill as well. Luckily, I had the reserves to take care of it immediately. Basically heard from the loan officer and had it paid with a receipt back to him within an hour or so. He was shocked and said most people fight billings like that with the provider and the insurance company, but I didn't want any issues with the home purchase, so I paid it and then went through the hassle of getting reimbursed... Worked out overall, but without a certain amount of reserves that kind of stuff can tank ya... Especially fraudulent billings. I cannot believe the amount of billing fraud that happens between the medical providers and the insurance companies. I have caught that myself more than few times.

Well said.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Worth noting, you should NEVER pay a bill that you feel you are being wrongly charged. Billing errors and flat out fraud are a big component of medical billings. Why you would willing pay a bill for services you did not receive is something I would never advise doing. If anything, try and handle the situation yourself. If that doesn't work, lawyer up. For a fee, most lawyers will work quickly. (Faster than normal) to handle a situation. I would also suggest you examine all medical bills very carefully cuz I have seen on two occasions a situation where we have been overcharged. Basically two different departments tried billing for the same service. All lumped together it's tough to see the double charge. Medical billing and the issues it brings with home purchase is really bad in this state
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

My offer was accepted!
    I need a home inspector.

---

Here's my brief medical bill situation:
    I had ulnar nerve subcutaneous transposition surgery to alleviate cubital tunnel syndrome.
    If you've ever hit your elbow on something and felt a shock through your hand, you understand how that nerve works. Half of my hand was numb and some of my fingers were weak.

Procedure was outpatient with local anesthesia and took 1 hour. I was charged for general anesthesia, an overnight stay and ulnar nerve submuscular transposition surgery.

Bad Faith:
    To make matters worse, my insurance said "you did not pay your premium." I have two receipts from them plus my checking account records which prove I made the payment.

I have since fought off half of the unnecessary charges.
    The remaining bill was passed to collections which is threatening to report this on my credit at the end of the month.
    The charges are being "disputed," which should put a hold on the credit report, but the collectors do not seem to be following this.
    The clinic said that they'd get back to me within 4-6 weeks of the dispute filing, but I filed 8 weeks ago and have not heard back from them.
    Supposedly, a "disputed" bill can't hurt your credit rating. I'm not sure if I want to test this.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    congrats on the accepted offer!

We needed our land resurveyed before the appraisal was finished. Survey needed to be approved by the town board that meets once a month. Because the surveyor did not get the information to them 2 weeks before the meeting(which he has had done for almost 6 weeks now, and he gave it to them last Friday) they looked at it Tuesday night, said they couldn't do anything and pushed it off till their next meeting in 30 days... Closing date was Oct 31st, now its Nov 29th. Sweet....

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

Congratulations. Have Rodger inspect it. He is very good.

Could you remind me which one of yous is Rodger?

Al,

Hope it all works out. We were in a much better position to make a move a few years back, but several events have set us back in a major way. Nothing happening here for a lot of years now.

Beast, with all due respect.. can I ask a question?

Do you approach these housing people coming across as a know it all blowhard? I know that sounds disrespectful, but I just need to ask. Cause if I was in "housing" and you came to me speaking like you do here, I wouldn't give you the time of day either... and I honestly don't know how you could expect otherwise. I could be totally off base because I don't post much here or know you personally, but just playing devils advocate. No doubt there are some slimy business people out there, but its been my experience that if you go looking for it you'll find it.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    JLP
    79 Monte
    406/2004R/Phord 9"

MY FYN 79, no, not at all... That is the biggest part of the problem. I come across quite "softly" in that I ask respectful questions, I let people explain as they will, I ask to clarify, etc, etc... The problem is when I find the limit of their knowledge and I start filling out beyond that, they don't believe it since they feel that if I know it so well why did I even ask them in the first place (which was to find out how much they knew and to make sure I am talking to someone knowledgeable enough to take seriously). Basically if I started out being a "smartass" or coming off cocky right from the start they would have no-problem giving me the respect and be cautious not to pull shit. I end up having to back people into a corner if games are being played because I would rather not play games at all. About that time they figure out I can backup what I know and then they are like "well, damn, I guess he wasn't all hot air after all"... Plus I know that a lot of these people can ultimately be used to my advantage, even if they think they are getting the upper hand. So I let them play their games and buy my time until I need them.

I know a lot of people from various walks of life, so I can usually talk to enough "people in the know" to know not only the facts, but the angles used by those trying to take advantage of others. I have enough experience to not be duped into being taken advantage of. Not that people don't try and they get away with it enough to get me pissed at times, but never far enough to cause me anything I would care to go ballistic over.

In business either you come across as cocky and arrogant and a know-it-all and people give you enough respect to not piss you off, but ultimately, they think you are a dick for acting that way. Which can work against you in many cases because people can hold grudges. Or, you can come across as being respectful, polite, inquisitive and ultimately non-threatening enough to want people to work with/for you and make things work out. Not always the case as there are those that think they can pull shit on you because you are spineless. Those are the types I ultimately end up totally using and abusing the business relationship for and I am more than willing to let them know what they lost out on because of their stupidity.

Like I said before, with my agent in mind, I put them to serious work. Looking at 5-6 houses a day at times, letting them workout the viewing schedule, having them work on my clock, etc, etc... They, in the end, actually earned their commission so no blood, no foul. Could they have done more to help me, sure. Could I have had a better agent that would have gotten me into a home quicker, sure. But I am not sure I would have gotten as good of a deal as I did and I don't know if I would have seen the homes I wanted to see on a schedule that was most advantageous to me.

Rodger at hearthstone home inspections out of the falls. I pm'ed you his contact info.

I also recommend http://trustaplus.com/ (in Muskego and Delafield). We ended up wasting $900 in appraisal fees by trying to use lenders on bankrate.com. A+ was able to beat the rates listed on bankrate and is local.

Use bankrate to get a general ideal of rates and then contact Craig at A+ to hammer out the details. I wish I would have taken this advice in the first place and I would have saved $900 in wasted fees.