Thread: Home inspectors

Senior Member..now yer posting!

Home inspectors

Just bought my first home! i need an inspection by the 24th, but everyone ive called is booked past that. Does anyone know a good inspector that might have some openings?
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    1986 Mazda RX-7 13B Turbo
    2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, low, slow daily
    2000 Saturn SC1 - RWD project, broken
    1996 Suzuki Bandit 600
    1997 Golf GTI mid engine vr6

Did you close yet?

Or, are you saying you set the closing date already and need the have the inspection done before close?

Closing dates can be extended based on things such as inspections/appraisals. Get the best inspector that can do it within a reasonable timeframe and get the closing date pushed out to accommodate.

Hell, we had our closing pushed back 4 times... We were supposed to close at the end of June last year and didn't end up closing until the end of July. Sucked too since my lease was up in July and we had to be out by August 1st and we had only about 8 days to move. Sounds like a lot, but considering how much we had, what I all had to do to the new place once we closed and everything else involved it was a huge PITA. I was hoping to have 3 weeks to move, not less than 1 once all the required stuff was done. Moving over 15 years of stuff and then cleaning up a place (including 2 2.5 car garages and 2 apartments) within that 8 days was major suckage...

shamrock home inspections. used them twice now. great people. tell them you were referred and i believe you get some money off. put me down. brandon phillips.
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

We used Pillar to Post. Only guy that would come out on a Saturday. He came out, was reasonably priced, did a great job and was friendly.
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Deal fell through due to an awesome home inspector. Rodger at hearthstone home inspections. Dude got inside an attic opening of 1'x1' that was bolted closed to hide $15k in electrical code violations. K&T wiring under insulation. Eeek. House had $100k in renovations, think wiring would have been taken care of first, but guesss not.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Knob and Tube is no good...lol. Good find on that one.

Post whore
    Whomever you get, hopefully their good ones, follow them around when he/she does the inspection and ask questions. Also make sure they're meticulous. Like moving or removing things to get a better look. Some of these jerks don't give a shit and just blow through the inspections which could cause you a lot of money later on. Little things like removing the electrical panel cover to get an idea of the wiring running throughout the home, using a laser level in rooms to see if there's any floor dropping, checking the entire foundation and maybe even removing some of the covers for the electrical junction boxes to see if someone tried to be sneaky and run new wiring off old N&T. This is actually what happened to my sister and now she needs a complete house rewire. What they did was ran new wiring off a new panel box then just tied into the old N&T throughout her house. She just found this out after 2 years of owning the house and having a problem at an outlet for her fridge. New wiring my ass, fucking hacks.
    One more very important thing, have them look for any and all asbestos so you know what you might be looking toward in the future, depending when the house was built.

Talk to your lender to push it off and find at least one good inspector. Don't ram this through "to close." That's like taking a used car around the block in 2 gears at 3000rpm because you want it. These people are here to save you possibly 10s or a hundred thousand dollars. You should not even consider closing on a house without a good inspection.
    -Nick Chandler

Had an inspection this week, used Roger Kautz from Hearthstone, I'm very happy with the experience. We spent 4 hours looking over a typical ~1700 sqft home in Franklin. He got there early, was very professional/personable and provided a detailed 40 page document the same night. I recommend him if your in the market.

Another for Hearthstone, he did two properties for us. Gives a discount on additional home appraisals if your first one falls through. Very nice man, punctual and thorough, also a veteran.