So, I have gotten around to taking care of most things around here and one of the last few on the list is the AC system.

Now, I have done all the normal stuff such as:

-Checkout the A-Coil (clean from the inside, as seen with a remote cavity camera from where the blower motor normally sits, yeah I pulled it, cleaned it out and checked inside the furnace plenum)

-Flushed and cleared out the A-Coil drain line (clear now as well as looking into the drain area of the A-Coil with the remote cam, boy is it rusty in there. I would expect for the price for those things to be made out of stainless)

-Removed the condensor cover/fan and cleaned out inside the unit

-Used a hose and sprayed out the condensor itself from the inside out to clear everything from the fins

-Straightened the fins on the condensor

Now since I have no clue if the previous owner took care of the unit (it is a Heil 3-ton unit made in early 2001), I am considering just replacing the contactor and capacitor out of a purely preventative maintenance perspective. Is there any issue in doing just that?

Both will run like $60 or so, including upgrading the contactor from the rated 30amp unit shown on a parts list to a 40amp MARS2 unit listed as a upgrade replacement for 35amp units (the model number parts list shows a 30-amp contactor, yet the label on the condensor shows a max breaker rating of 35 amps, so I figure going with the larger is just prudent), and the cap is a standard replacement OEM part. I figure even if the capacitor in it specs out fine, it is still possibly 12 years old, no sense risking it dying anytime soon if I am in there replacing the contactor. I figure the contactor is due regardless since even on the recommended 6-year cycle it is at that point.

I figure if I do all that then all I really have left to do is have someone come out and check system performance and the freon level and top it up. Anything else I am missing?

I will say balancing dampers in a non-zoned HVAC system with 3 levels is a PITA... I have good settings for winter, just need a couple more hot days to be happy with my settings for summer. Thank god I don't do home/away cycles and just keep the system set for the same temp 24/7, otherwise this shit would drive me nuts... If the house is empty during the day once the little guy goes off to school in 3-4 years I may just have to consider a multi-zone system or a dual-system setup as a major replacement/upgrade, but I am happy with my energy bills and the consistent heating/cooling of the entire house to the same temp all the time. I only really change the temp to 68-70 in winter and to 70-72 in summer. I may see how things go and do 70 year-round, but the slight bump in temp either way has to be better on the energy bills overall...