Threaded View

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

OBD1 scanner/LT1 stalling issues

I have a 95 Z28 with an intermittent stalling issue that is beating the living shit out of me. I'm sick of throwing parts at it and I want to scan it to see if it's setting any DTC's. Does anyone around here have a scanner? Maybe one of the shops (LMT, WBD, etc)?

For the LT1 guys, here are the specifics:

It's a heads/cam stock cube LT1, short tube headers, catback, mail order tune. When I first bought it, it ran like shit in general and would occasionally stumble/stall and not restart until it cooled off. I replaced the ICM with a Delco part and it ran better, but then started having issues when I would launch it. On a hard launch, it stalls like someone flipped a switch. Doesn't lose power, no sputtering or stumbling, just an immediate shutdown. It fires right back up like nothing happened. Now tonight, it stalled on the freeway. I was cruising in 5th, then dropped tit into 4th and got on it, it died. I tried to restart it and got nothing, but then I put it in 3rd and popped the clutch, it fired right up and ran fine the rest of the way. The service engine light stayed on for about 20 seconds, then went out, so I'm hoping it has a stored code. It only seems to stall when I rev it up quickly under load, and even then is very intermittent. I've replaced the coil and ICM (both new Delco parts), battery and terminals, checked all grounds, played with all the ignition harnesses while running to see if something was loose, etc. I've been told it's the opti or fuel pump. It has a Walbro 255 with the Racetronix hotwire kit (previous owner installed), but if the pump were failing, it seems like it would happen more often, and not only under certain circumstances. Opti I can see, if it's the low res pulse that doesn't set the light. It feels kind of shitty over 3k, but I don't know if it's missing or if it's that's just what a cammed LT1 with a mail order tune feels like. I don't have a ton of seat time with the car yet, so it's all new to me. If somebody can scan it or tell me with some confidence that this is a bad opti, I'll rip it apart. It looks like a bitch though, so I don't want to do it just to rule it out if I don't have to. The opti that's in there is an MSD with maybe 4k on it, I have receipts for it. I think it was just the cap and rotor though, not the whole billet piece. The car sat for 6 months not running before I bought it, not sure if that might affect the opti or not.
    Last edited by Mr. Brett; 05-01-2013 at 02:22 AM.