Threaded View

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One of the newest Packers...

...Is a local from Greendale.

Ben Ericksen, class of 2008.

Signed as an undrafted free-agent free-safety out of Illinois State. That's not quite as good as being drafted...but better than only being invited to tryout.

Measurables:
    6-1, 195lbs
    40: 4.38(low)-4.52(high) (would have been #1 for safeties at combine, which was 4.42)
    reps @ 225: 17 (would have tied for 7th)
    vertical: 36 1/2" (would have tied for 9th)
    broad jump: 10'02" (would have tied for 12th)
    Shuttle:4.22 (would have tied for 11th)
    3 cone: 6.85 (would have been 7th among safeties)

ranked 16 out of 90 FS's eligible to draft.

Was the only safety the packers signed so far...so this improves his chances of finding a place on the squad. Likewise, the fact that he only recently made the switch to defense...so he still has a lot to learn, meaning he still has considerable potential to grow. He did not even play defense in high school for a non-platooning team at GDHS...fairly impressive that he finished #4 in the country in interceptions given his inexperience.

Highlights as a receiver at Greendale:

highlights from ISU (he's #7):

Also has good potential as a special teams player. Averaged 27 yds per return during his sophomore year at ISU.

Obviously I am biased, as I've worked with the kid for 4 years at Greendale, as well as providing guidance/medical advice whenever he asked while away at school. But let's face it...as an undrafted free agent, the cards are stacked against him. But he's a good kid and a great athlete, with decent size and very decent speed for a FS, almost quick enough to be a corner, and a late comer to the position. I'm hoping that he'll have a decent shot because of potential/stats to at least garner a practice squad position, or perhaps even make a go of it as a special teams player who gets a chance to learn the pro-game. He's a good kid and a hard worker...wishing him tons of luck!

He's come a long way from the 110lb kid who was a back-up QB on the freshman FB team...I mean, he couldn't even wear his gear correctly he was so small, lol. It'll be a great story if he makes it.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 04-29-2013 at 12:07 AM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!