Thread: Insurance

Insurance

So I canceled my motorcycle insurance over winter. Call today to get it put back on and WOW did the rates go up!

I started a few online quotes to see if anything is comparable and every place seems very high for the same coverage as what I had last year.

Anybody else have a huge jump in premiums?
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Re: Insurance

Haven't put it back on this year yet, but its been pretty stable in past years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

i havent put mine back on this year either but i was paying about 32/mo if thats compareable?
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Senior Member..now yer posting! DNT H8's Avatar
    I have had NY insurance rates for some time, and when I bought vehicals here and got WI plates naturally I had to get WI insurance which turned out to be HIGHER than NY. I use USAA which has amazing rates, so I called and complained but they said WI had "recently" fell under a new tier for insurance companys. They said there were a few factors, but mainly because now that you are required to have insurance in WI there are still many asshats out there driving without insurance (getting into accidents) and the no fault drivers insurance eats the bill. As I have stated in other threads and got flamed on everyone should ethically have auto insurance regardless, but seems the old WI mentality about auto insurance has come back to bite us all in the ass. Hope this answers your question : )
    Last edited by DNT H8; 04-23-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    1989 Mustang <--- Stock ; )
    2011 Mustang 5.0 <--- Blown
    2002 Focus <--- Winter beater
    2014 Escape Titanium <--- Family
    2013 Flex Limited <--- Family

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DNT H8 View Post
    As I have stated in other threads and got flamed on everyone should ethically have auto insurance regardless, but seems the old WI mentality about auto insurance has come back to bite us all in the ass. Hope this answers your question : )
    Um, pretty sure you got flamed (by one guy iirc) because you claim to never ever ever have driven a car w/o insurance...given a history of having project cars; this strikes me as an entirely reasonable claim btw, as I can claim the same...

But your answer doesn't answer either "why" (under/uninsured motorist has long been a problem, this wouldn't be the first year that insurance companies have caught on), or if everyone else is seeing a higher rate specific to this year.

If you have an agent, I'd call and find out why the jump...sometimes it could be something erroneous on your record...other times you could find out that a family member surreptitiously got a citation...not that that's happened to me in the past. Or meg.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Senior Member..now yer posting! DNT H8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    1 Um, pretty sure you got flamed (by one guy iirc) because you claim to never ever ever have driven a car w/o insurance...given a history of having project cars; this strikes me as an entirely reasonable claim btw, as I can claim the same...

2 But your answer doesn't answer either "why" (under/uninsured motorist has long been a problem, this wouldn't be the first year that insurance companies have caught on), or if everyone else is seeing a higher rate specific to this year.

3 If you have an agent, I'd call and find out why the jump...sometimes it could be something erroneous on your record...other times you could find out that a family member surreptitiously got a citation...not that that's happened to me in the past. Or meg.
    1) lol not to beat a dead horse... but NO I have never drove a vehical (even out of my driveway) without insurance. Out side of the ethical argument, every state I have been in you go to JAIL with no insurance and impound the car... not worth the risk.
    2) This is what they told me and I was not interested in dissecting the reasons they gave. USAA is one of the top insurance companys in the Country, so I trust they have it straight. I was merely adding input I was told.
    3) I have nothing on my driving record to increase rates, accidents, tickets, kids of age, nada. And thier underwriters are top notch...
    1989 Mustang <--- Stock ; )
    2011 Mustang 5.0 <--- Blown
    2002 Focus <--- Winter beater
    2014 Escape Titanium <--- Family
    2013 Flex Limited <--- Family

I think he said $240 for a year. That's full coverage on the bike ($500 deductible), high limits on all the stuff, and both myself (<1 year experience) and the hubz (10 years experience) as riders (passenger coverage too). Adam's bike is always $75 a year, so I am jealous.
    --Michelle--

Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Shitfarm raised my motorcycle insurance from $355/year to $404/year. I only ensure during the riding season. They said its due to the increasing cost to repair my specific motorcycle. I got that money back and then some by declaring everything is driven 4k miles a year or less... huge discounts. lol. My damn insurance bill is $225/month with 7 policy's.

Senior Member..now yer posting! SSScottSS's Avatar
    $240/year is way inexpensive and $75 is just plain amazing!. What company are you insured through? Maybe I need to do a bit of price shopping this year. I know I'm over $400/year with a perfect driving record.

Allstate. I should add that Adam's is liability only. We've never insured both at the same time, but will this year. Our agent said that if I add Adam's bike on to mine, his is basically "free" with the multi-bike discount, but I will have to get a quote on both Monday to verify.

Our agent never put medical coverage on it. Is that normal? He told me that most people just use their health insurance. He also said it really adds to the premium because it's a guaranteed payout as a rider will blow through pretty much any medical coverage after a bike accident. Thoughts?
    --Michelle--

My premium has remained the same since 2009. However, I keep it insured year round (if the roads are clear and it's over 45 degrees, I'll ride). I pay $379/year, but I'm not sure how relevant that is since I'm an old guy with a cruiser, and the coverage includes all the bells and whistles;towing, roadside assistance, accessories, etc.

Senior Member..now yer posting! SSScottSS's Avatar
    That's a good question about the medical coverage. I have it on my vehicle insurance, but I guess I have always assumed my regular medical insurance would decline to pay for injuries from a vehicle crash. Then again, when you go to the hospital for an injury, regardless of how you got the injury, they ask for your medical insurance card. They definitely don't ask for your vehicle insurance card LOL. I'm going to ask around on this a bit. Could save some money. Thanks Michelle