Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm one of the cool kids now...

Scooped up an AR15 yesterday day. (Thanks again Eric for not gauging on a hi demand item!) Its a Smith and wesson m&p15 lower, ease told the guts are from Spikes, and the upper is from Bravo. The lower is clearly marked with model and manufacturer. The only markings I've found on the upper is the caliber and twist rate stamped on the muzzle. And there's some stampings on the furniture. Nothing inside the upper, and nothing on the bolt.

Its got an ass ugly paint job on it I'm gonna strip off, would I find any markings on the upper/barrel printed on them (provided they don't get removed with the paint?)

Is there any areas of concern to look at before I shoot it? Or should I just clean it up, oil it up, shoot it and take things from there? I'm new to ar's, but not foreign to them having been in the army. I can rip one apart and put it back together, not not sure if there are any issues with one that didn't start life as one complete rifle.

Hope you can fix the appearance of it! Haha, camo is a no go unless its snow camo, doooo it.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Pics?

Political signatures are not allowed

Re: I'm one of the cool kids now...

The black area by the forward assist is about two minutes worth of nail polish remover and a cotton ball.

Have Yoosof Plasti-dip that bitch.. Gun metal gray would look awesome.

Political signatures are not allowed

The only marking on the barrel should be the ones you found near the muzzle. Some barrels have the twist/Cal lasered in insted of being stamped. the upper might have been t marked at one time but if there not machined marks, they might not be there if you strip the paint off, depending if they were painted or lasered. There shouldent be much concern shooting it, only thing i can think of is headspace, but AR's are self headspacing if the parts are made by good manufactures. ( in tolerance) When i was in the army we would check headspace, barrel erosion, barrel straightness and a few other things every year, but our rifles got beat the hell out of.
    Last edited by Rifleman WI; 02-08-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

As long as the caliber is correct shoot away, they call them "milspec" because a $2000 AR is identicle to a $689 AR, only the name changes. I've had to remove bur's from $1600 JP Enerprise target guns that looked like crap next to $499 mail order pencil barrel M4.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

We had Colt M4's that were shit right out of the box also in the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    As long as the caliber is correct shoot away, they call them "milspec" because a $2000 AR is identicle to a $689 AR, only the name changes. I've had to remove bur's from $1600 JP Enerprise target guns that looked like crap next to $499 mail order pencil barrel M4.
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Still not a cool kid

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    The black area by the forward assist is about two minutes worth of nail polish remover and a cotton ball.
    Right above that black area will be a raised mark. Its the forge mark of the company that forges the upper. Every Bravo company upper I've ever seen has had a square forge mark. If the paint remover doesn't take it off there would be BCM logo there. The bolt carrier group should be an M16 carrier, the carrier will have the BCM logo laser engraved in it. Its visible in the ejection port when the bolt is closed. The bolt itself should also have an HP/MP mark lasered in it. Bring by the Franklin show tomorrow, ill tell you if its BCM or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Yes, BCM have Square forge markings on uppers, and laser-etched BCM script and barrels are stamped specific features and chambering / ROT.

Muzzle is stamped:

5.56 NATO 1/7

Upper has a keyhole looking mark on it. Not stamped, but raised. Nothing found on the bolt or bolt carrier, but they are filthy and I haven't cleaned them yet. Was gonna take it to the gun show yesterday and do some asking around to what it is, but I forgot.

2013-02-10 12.55.36.jpg

Some google foo tells me the keyhole mark is the Cerro Forge mark. And they forge a shit ton of uppers for a shit ton of makers.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    A typical BCM should read (unless a hammer-forged) "HP MP 1/7 5.56 NATO".

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    What did you break on it already?

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Fucked up the take down spring and lost the detent.

This and ive seen a bunch of Splintered A forged uppers from them lately also, never any keyhole's tho. But the keyhole uppers are very common and good uppers, yours just doesn't seem to be a factory assembled BCM upper.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post
    Yes, BCM have Square forge markings on uppers, and laser-etched BCM script and barrels are stamped specific features and chambering / ROT.
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

Alllllmost done cleaning it up. Looks amazing. No markings were found under the paint on the upper, and stripping the paint didn't take off the S&W markings on the lower. Cleaned up easy as shit. I'm glad people are lazy; it saves me money.