Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar

duramax guys in here

Bought my first modern diesel... 2005 Silverado (LLY duramax). Got what I thought was a really good deal on it, and above all, I really like it, so that counts the most.

The truck has an aftermarket exhaust on it of some sort. Not sure if it's an aftermarket downpipe or not, but it's certainly a down pipe - back system. The truck also has an Edge device mounted in the upper console, however it doesn't appear to be working. I push all the buttons on it and it does nothing. How can I start diagnosing this?

Looks to be a stock intake on the truck. Any easy bolt on recommendations for the truck to make it a little peppier?

Quick pic:
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

start looking under the hood on the drivers side and see if someone unplugged the tuner from the engine harness. I'm not familiar with the edge but when i bought mine some one had cut the wires to my tuner switch. I've also got an egt wire hangin in my engine bay because some one pulled out the gauge. Good looking truck you'll love the lly motor ive had no problems with mine other than my engine harness was jacked up since i bought it and now i'm fighting to find one Ive got a set of 17" american racing wheels That will fit on there if your looking for a different set of wheels for it
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

duramax guys in here

The 20's that are on it are growing on me. My first idea when I got the truck was to get some H2 wheels, but now I'm thinking I like these. I gotta figure out what brand of exhaust I have. Are aftermarket down pipes worth it? What about intakes, intercooler, or piping?

I must say, I'm amazed at the cold weather starting ability. I haven't plugged the truck in since buying it, but it fires right up after a glow plug cycle.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

Is your edge tuner plugged into your OBD2 plug under the dash? I don't have one of those fancy diesels, but that's where my Edge plugs in for my truck.
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

duramax guys in here

No it isn't. I didn't see any loose plugs just hanging there, but it could also be tucked out of sight too so ill look around
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

duramax guys in here

Found the tuner box and everything under the hood. It's all unplugged. Seems like a simple fix. So I'm gonna guess without the edge tuner box plugged in, it must be running on a stock tune at the moment?
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Is your edge tuner plugged into your OBD2 plug under the dash? I don't have one of those fancy diesels, but that's where my Edge plugs in for my truck.

All the edges on my truck all have rust. And my rims are only 19.5's.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare View Post
    Found the tuner box and everything under the hood. It's all unplugged. Seems like a simple fix. So I'm gonna guess without the edge tuner box plugged in, it must be running on a stock tune at the moment?
    should have two plugs from your edge box that plug inline to your ecm underhood. Would be stock tune without being plugged inline. Some of the edge boxes have an issue where they won't work in certain weather conditions. In the long run, like with a car, a custom tune is of more benefit (just don't let Dan's diesel performance touch it)

stew, I think it would be cool to take an old square crew cab chevy like yours and drop a duramax in it
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by WickedSix View Post
    should have two plugs from your edge box that plug inline to your ecm underhood. Would be stock tune without being plugged inline. Some of the edge boxes have an issue where they won't work in certain weather conditions. In the long run, like with a car, a custom tune is of more benefit (just don't let Dan's diesel performance touch it)
    I'm hoping to get some better mpg's with the tune anyway. Shows I have an option for 5 different tune levels. I'd imagine the higher the tune, the more at risk I am for too high of EGT's. Not sure if these trucks have stock EGT sensors or if one must be installed. Not even sure if one was installed on this truck or not. With the cold and the snow, I'm not feeling too ambitious to crawl around under the hood or under the truck.

What are ways to lower EGT's to allow the higher tune?
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

stew, I think it would be cool to take an old square crew cab chevy like yours and drop a duramax in it

Too much work and money to put a duramax in. I'm hoping that this time next year I'm working on doing a mechanical 4cyl diesel swap on mine. I don't want to deal with any electronics on an oil burner.

a 4 cyl diesel into that truck? Like out of the old Isuzu's for example? I didn't think that would have the power to move that heavy of a truck...
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

a 4 cyl diesel into that truck? Like out of the old Isuzu's for example? I didn't think that would have the power to move that heavy of a truck...

No, I'm thinking like a Cummins 4bt. 120HP 4BT's drag around 10,000 bread trucks all day long with no problems; So I don't see an issue with one in my 6,500 pound truck. Reading up on them tells me 200 horse power / 400 lb-ft is easy and reliable out of these. I don't tow or haul anything really, so I don't need a shit ton of power. I want the reliability, fuel mileage, and cool factor.

shouldn't be too difficult to swap in. What's in it now, a 454?
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

Nice truck!
    I don't think you will have any issues with high EGT's while not pulling a load around.
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

Ditch the door guards and those ugly chrome strips, powder coat wheels and bumpers black, lose the bull bar and step bars, tint taillights and cab lights, pimp hoes
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

trying to tint tail lights, smoked cab lights are on order, door guards and chrome strips will be removed in spring most likely by Yoosof during a spring detail job. Undecided about bull bar. Steps will stay, makes it easier to get into the truck with the mild lift it has.
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

better intake and exhaust helps lower egts...more efficient you get air in and out the better. EGT probe usually come with the setup you have. passenger side exhaust manifold iirc.

stew they make kits to drop in the 6bt in that truck, the 4bt is anything but smooth and costs more than the 6bt, the advantage to the 4bt is you can get the adapter from the bread trucks to stuff it infront of a th400 or the 4 speed but even the 200hp level is borderline for both those transmissions torque capcity.

I read that the LLY duramax turbo mouthpiece is very restrictive from the factory, and I can convert to the LBZ generation mouthpiece for under $100 which flows way better. I also will be getting some better intercooler piping, an aftermarket downpipe, and a few other goodies, like an egr delete. No emissions!
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

I've got and egr delete plate that i don't need. I also have a finger stick if you need it. Mine was already done and found out after i bought the stuff. The lly mouth piece is restrictive the new mouth piece is the way to go i have yet to get one but it suppose to help with turbo spool not any real hp gain just faster spool.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner