~~Swap TPI to Carb .....

I have 92 Z28 that I just bought a 406 crate motor for. Its a motor primarily set up for carb, however the manufacturer said it would work for my car if I choose to keep it fuel injected. All I would have to do is re-map the computer. With WBD and/or LMT I figured no problem.

So now I got the motor in my garage, I took the intake manifold they gave me off & put my TPIS Miniram intake on to size it up. The intake bolt-holes line up perfect but the intake ports are mis-aligned. The ports are equally sized (height & width) but the ports on the manifold sit lower than the cylinder head ports do.

So I guess I have two options....figuring out how to solve that mis-alignment problem or going carb on my new motor while selling my Miniram intake with my 58mm BBK TB. (any takers?) lol

That being said, whats all involved with converting a computer to carb? Is it as easy as im thinking in my head? (go easy on me, i'm not too technically advanced when it comes to this) New throttle/kickdown cables and adjust, buy a vacuum advanced distributor, toggle switch operated cooling fans and what else? I already have a toggle switch hooked up to the "Lock-up" option on my torque converter. (700R4 auto)

Thanks for your input......
    -Mike

Senior Member..now yer posting! outlawgibbs's Avatar
    Youll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure down far enough for the carb, unless you want to drop the tank and remove the fuel pump. I dropped the tank on mine and would never do it again. I also converted a 2.8 to a V-8 so it was a bit more work. Other then that its pretty easy

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

~~Swap TPI to Carb .....

How did you determine that that runners do not line up?
    Last edited by Irish; 11-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What kind of difference are you talking about? Is this with intake gaskets in place? Could just some milling of one surface or another or both correct the difference?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    How did you determine that that runners do not line up?
    The ports on the cylinder head are visible over the top of manifold, gasket is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    What kind of difference are you talking about? Is this with intake gaskets in place? Could just some milling of one surface or another or both correct the difference?
    I don't envision that helping by the looks of it. The bolt holes line up perfect. I would think milling it would throw that geometry off?

Quote Originally Posted by outlawgibbs View Post
    Youll need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to drop the pressure down far enough for the carb, unless you want to drop the tank and remove the fuel pump. I dropped the tank on mine and would never do it again. I also converted a 2.8 to a V-8 so it was a bit more work. Other then that its pretty easy
    So I wouldn't have to drop the tank if I get a pressure regulator? Is it really that easy or is there more stuff involved in making sure the pressure is dropped?

I would still beable to use my 700R4, right? Aside from my lock-up already set up via toggle switch, anything else affectd by the computer?

~~Swap TPI to Carb .....

Quote Originally Posted by 67-400 View Post
    I would still beable to use my 700R4, right? Aside from my lock-up already set up via toggle switch, anything else affectd by the computer?
    Are you talking about running carb with your 700R4? If so, make sure you adjust the kickdown cable correctly.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    From a quick read, it doesn't appear 85 and earlier heads are compatible w/ L98 style manifolds. Maybe a better answer would be to modify a manifold to work with the TPS stuff, IE, fuel injection ports, throttle body. Or maybe seeing what is out there pre-made, like these from edlebrock, perhaps could work...http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...fi_chevy.shtml

Not sure if all that would clear the hood when in the car.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

~~Swap TPI to Carb .....

From a quick read, it doesn't appear 85 and earlier heads are compatible w/ L98 style manifolds. Maybe a better answer would be to modify a manifold to work with the TPS stuff, IE, fuel injection ports, throttle body. Or maybe seeing what is out there pre-made, like these from edlebrock, perhaps could work...http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...fi_chevy.shtml

Or he could have someone weld injector bungs onto his carb intake, slap a 90 degree or a forward facing elbow, and a 5.0 style 80mm throttle body. Call it a day.

You are correct not much room under there!
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzGTA89 View Post
    You are correct not much room under there!
    Got a 4" cowl

Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzGTA89 View Post
    Thanks, I've been watching that one too.