Problems with olds alero 3.4l

My neighbor and I are trying to figure out what's wrong with his car. He came to me saying it was running a bit rough and it wouldn't start without giving it gas. I had him put in a new iac valve, and that seemed to fix both issues. A few days later it came back. I then used maf sensor cleaner and cleaned the maf. Problems again went away and came back a day or so later again.

I also pulled two wires from one coil pack at a time and turned it over. All three coil packs sparked across the points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to fix this car for him cheaply.

Forgot to mention it threw a code before the iac but now that's gone. Fresh plugs and wires were just put in.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by loud91rs View Post
    My neighbor and I are trying to figure out what's wrong with his car. He came to me saying it was running a bit rough and it wouldn't start without giving it gas. I had him put in a new iac valve, and that seemed to fix both issues. A few days later it came back. I then used maf sensor cleaner and cleaned the maf. Problems again went away and came back a day or so later again.

I also pulled two wires from one coil pack at a time and turned it over. All three coil packs sparked across the points.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are trying to fix this car for him cheaply.

Forgot to mention it threw a code before the iac but now that's gone. Fresh plugs and wires were just put in.
    Aside from the fact that this post is horribly written; put a fuel pressure gage on it. It is likely a weak fuel pump or a leaking fuel pressure regulator. There were so many problems with these cars, and you have given very little information to go off of but this is all the free help I am willing to give out.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

vac leak, egr, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, bad wiring... I could go on?
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to talk him into buying something new. I don't want to invest in the tools needed to diagnose this one.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Unplug MAF and run it.
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

Got Kicked OFF The Track A B4C Z's Avatar
    let me know if he wants to sell it.

1998 Black on Black Regal
    2010 Black on Black Denali