Thread: ATV question

ATV question

I am planning on buying an ATV here in the near future. From what I have found it looks like it needs to be registered through the DNR but I need proof of paid sales tax. So I am asking if I need to go to the DMV to pay it and then to the DNR to register? Do ATV's in Wisconsin come with a title? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I haven't bought an ATV before in WI. I use to own a jet ski in MN and you just got a small title card back then that you took to the DMV and they gave you registration. It's a bit different here and I want to know what to do once I get it. I plan on buy from a private party if I can find the one I want otherwise I may go to a dealer which then I believe I can take care of it all there so won't have to worry about all this correct?

Thanks for any help!!!

IIRC when I bought mine the reg. for from the DNR had a place for amt. paid, and you figure sales tax on the amt. you put down.
    The Title is a card the size of a credit card in WI. the seller should sign the back of it and give it to you, all the info is on that card to do the registration online at the DNR website. Then they send you the sticker for it. Don't forget you need a rear plate in WI now, too.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Ok thanks for the info!

Post whore
    When I bought my Arctic Cat the previous owner didn't have the title card but it wasn't a big deal. I just went to the DNR and they took care of everything inc the sales tax.
    Far as the licence plate for the rear, I just made one from a thicker plastic "for sale" sign and bought a letter and number sticker set. Cost about $5. If you want a nice one there's a guy on GL that makes them and their laser etched so no worries about the stickers coming off. GL and have fun next year. LOL. Or if you want to ride in the snow, most of the atv trails will reopen after the hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    When I bought my Arctic Cat the previous owner didn't have the title card but it wasn't a big deal. I just went to the DNR and they took care of everything inc the sales tax.
    Far as the licence plate for the rear, I just made one from a thicker plastic "for sale" sign and bought a letter and number sticker set. Cost about $5. If you want a nice one there's a guy on GL that makes them and their laser etched so no worries about the stickers coming off. GL and have fun next year. LOL. Or if you want to ride in the snow, most of the atv trails will reopen after the hunting season.
    Good to know. It would be much easier to just do it all at the DNR being there is one in town where I live. There is a guy in Sheboygan that does the lazer etching and plan on getting one from him.

Thanks!!!