Registration question?

I am planning on getting my 91 mustang registered this week. I have heard that since it is not a primary driver I should get those ugly blue/red plates for $175 and be done with it. If I am carrying regular insurance on it does it matter if I get regular or collector plates. Thanks.

Is it a completely stock car?
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Nope, It's modded a fair amount

Hobbyist plate. DMV is picky. If you plan on having it for a few years, the registration will "pay for itself". I am not aware of it making a difference with insurance.

I have classics on my SHO and trucks.
    --Michelle--

Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

PLEASE for the sake of looking a thousand times better get the hobbyist plates. You will have no problem being approved for those. Collector plates are meant for 100% factory stock vehicles and hobbyist are for modified vehicles. In the past WISDOT let anything get a collector plate but have really been picky in the past few years.

EDIT: Insurance will not care about which plate you have. Only how many miles you drive that vehicle per year and for what purpose.
    Last edited by Car Guy; 10-15-2012 at 08:39 PM.

What is the cost and stipulations on the hobby plates? The car is an HCI 306. I don't plan on driving it during the winter. Just during the summer/spring.

The only difference with hobbyist is they are meant for modified vehicles. Everything else if the same including cost. All the info you need in on WISDOT's website.

BCM Cruiser
    Do they need to inspect a car before they give you hobbyist plates . (waukesha county)?

Not normally
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Things have really clamped down in past years. I reg'd my 66 about 3 years ago, all I had to do was pay the money and give them all the info, pretty much like a regular car (although the woman was convinced the gvwr mattered, which it DOES NOT, unless its vintage farm or military stuff).

Almost IMMEDIATELY after I got my reg, another member (don't remember name, old camaro iirc) sent in for his and had to send them 4 corners pictures of the car etc, which they did not require me to do.

As far as a physical inspection, no we don't require visual inspections on any cars unless you A. have a salvage title and want it declared "repaired" by the hwy patrol, or B. you built a kit or tribute car and want it to have a "created" title.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

I plan to do collector plates this winter I am very glad I have pics of my car with the stock boring hood incase they want/need pics
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

BCM Cruiser
    I would not want to draw attention that I may not have (any) the required smog junk on the car right now. It would be nice save a few bucks though.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN 86GT View Post
    I would not want to draw attention that I may not have (any) the required smog junk on the car right now.
    This would be the least of my worries.

I didn't think it took too long to get my collector plates for the SHO and then eventually for my '47 Ford (same number, just with a letter after it).

Good idea to apply and wait over winter. The DMV will not issue temporary plates. They expect you to purchase a full year of registration while you wait if you want to drive the vehicle.

I like the look of collector over hobbyist plates.
    --Michelle--

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    This would be the least of my worries.
    ?

I would get collector or hobbyist for the money and hassle savings alone not having to reg it every year. It can save a ton insurance wise with certain companies as well. I have collectors on a ton of cars including a modded talon and galant. State farm has awesome specialty or collector insurance I pay like $10 a month, and can state value of it. Collectors plates is what helped qualify those cars for it, as opposed to obvious classics or like my viper.

Also, others have had trouble getting collectors lately on modded cars but for some reason I have gotten them no questions asked on the talon and galant within the past year even, and even with an fmic and other mods clearly visible in the pics.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

I even got them on my challenger mega caged tube chassis car lol.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Thanks for the opinions and insight.

The only month a hobbyist or collector plate is not valid is January. HOWEVER, you can buy a temporary plate for $30 that allows you to legally drive January. This is in response to the fast growing number of cars becoming old enough for collector plates but nothing more than a year round 'daily driver' vehicle. The state knows exactly what people are doing. That is why they started enforcing the difference between a collector or hobbyist vehicle.

I had hobbyist plates once, there are 3 classes of hobbyist, for the one I used they only needed a pic of vehicle to make sure it was still identifiable as original vehicle, and a list of what was done to meet qualifications for that class.
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE